Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best options for my situation

I'm gonna try this another way.

I am a woman, 5'-6" and 125 lbs. I am a side sleeper. I already have a Thermorest neolite pad and do NOT want to buy anything else (underquilt, etc.).

What is a hammock I could get that will not require me to buy an underquilt, WILL allow me to use my existing pad, and will cost less than $200 for EVERYTHING? And that includes bug net and possibly tarp (I can rig my own tarp, though, I guess).

Thanks! :-)

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    Hennessy's are a good option, the stock form of the expedition will run you 180 or less but a $20 upgrade gets you the Monsoon 70D rainfly for excellent protection and privacy and as long as you sit in the middle of your pad when you get it you should be fine
    http://hennessyhammock.com/products/...ition-asym-zip

Dutch has a good option though I've never tried sleeping with a pad in one you could do two options if you didn't need a full bug net with cinch buckle suspension
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/half-wit-hammock.html $125

or

The 11ft double layer with the dual knotty mod, structural ridgeline and cinch buckle suspension is $122
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/11-ft.-...-hammocks.html

The fronkey bugnet is $55
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/fronkey-style-bugnet.html

then add in a tarp the Kelty Noah 12 is great in the square config it will make doors giving you privacy

So Dutch's halfwit is $195 with the tarp or the 11ft double with fronkey bugnet with the tarp is $242

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    +1

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    Warbonnet or Dutch. Can't go wrong.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Fun to use `em all
    My wife is your same size. She didn't enjoy gathered end hammocks, but she also didn't put in the effort that seems to be required to learn how to sleep in them. I bought her a Ridgerunner and she won't sleep in anything else now... she absolutely loves it! It is rather pricey but worth every penny!

Hammock
    Ridge runner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ
    I have an Incubtaor 20 that matches great with my Blackbird. But I tell you, if I just had a 20' wide pad I would look,at the Hammock Bliss sky bed with integrated bug netting. I have one for my kids but even I find it very comfortable. Put the pad in the slot and there is zero fiddle factor. Fiddling with a pad, whether in between double layer or not is a pain for me. I know it works for a lot of folks but I like not worrying if it has slid out of position at 3 am.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    +1 for Warbonnett gear

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I was in your shoes once. I was willing to spend $200 or less, and not a penny more. I bought an HH Hex Asym Zip (with postage stamp tarp - I didn't know any better). I stubbornly used the HH Hex, with ccf pad and 0* synthetic bag, for two years.

As I became more interested in winter camping, the condensation from the pad proved too much for me to deal with. My last night with the ccf pad was 22* F, and my son and I were both drenched in condensation. After that I got an HG 20* Burrow and Phoenix and the increase in comfort (and decrease in condensation) has been impressive.

Low-budget hammock camping is certainly possible, but not ideal. I wish, at some point during those two years, I had tried an UQ just to see what all the fuss was about. However, I was stubborn and did not want to see the light. Looking back on the experience, I wish I had realized earlier that there is a huge difference between low-budget hammock camping, versus doing it the right way.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I used my neolite a few times in my WBBB XLC in between the layers and found that it's just so skinny it just wants to slide out from under you.... With it almost completely deflated it quit sliding around and it did work alright for insulation. Ended up buying a couple yards of 1/8" ccf from A1foamandfabrics.com for like $28 with shipping and it worked much better! I've been told the inflatables do work much better in the bridge hammocks but in the end an underquilt is the only comfortable option... I understand not wanting to buy anymore gear, I didn't want to either, but you shouldn't rule it out... Just put it off till it can happen... BTW even though I do regularly backpack and weight is a concern, I still take my neolite regularly cause I like to use it for swimming and my kids love it too so the neolite doesn't just collect dust in the back of the closet. If you do choose a gathered end hammock I would suggest a double layered hammock so you do have a sleeve to slip your pad into. Happy camping!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast