trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by myingon View Post
    I have replaced the side lines with 3/32 shock cord.
    I was thinking about doing that, too. It seemed like the heavy cord was a bit of overkill, but I wasn't sure if my next smallest cordage would be up to bearing the weight. If it's just going to get sloppy after a year, I dunno... Maybe I'll give it a go. I'll at least have the original stuff to put back in if it bombs.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    FYI - Stacking Jarbridge 3/4 UQ and SP Underblanket preliminary testing.
    I found that the Jarbridge fits nicely inside the SnugPak UB. The common procedure is to use the smaller UQ outside the larger UQ, but the SP UB seems to hang a little loose and the Jarbridge filled this space without compressing - working more like an insulated UQP.

So, I tried a light weight warm comforter (one down and one synthetic) and the additional insulation was immediately apparent, but not as well as the Jarbridge. Adding a comforter worked best if the comforter hung from its own suspension (hung by shockcord vs laying in the SP Under Blanket). Seems to be a viable way to cheaply increase performance to achieve a cost effective warm UQ (but does not compete with a good quality UQ).
    Comforter inside UQ.jpgComforter with shockcord.jpg

Just provided as FYI. My preliminary testing 'roasted me out' at 45F with the Jarbridge inside and the SP Under Blanket - for reference the Jarbridge is 58" long/20oz, the down comforter 66" 10 oz, and I'm 70" tall. I don't plan to cold weather camp until late April so any limits are unknown to me.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 02-12-2016 at 11:13.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    I got a ENO Ember2 last spring. Last night it went to 18* F so I started feeling a little bit of the cold bum about 2:30 am. I had brought the ember along so I hopped out brabbed it and slung it under the SP UB. It worked well and in minutes I was snug and warm again. By the way I got the ember2 on sail for $75. Down around 20* I find the SP UB needs a boost.
    A canoe or trike to do most of the hauling.
    A hammock to take away the bumps at night.
    Now that's the way to go.

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tangara View Post
    I was thinking about doing that, too. It seemed like the heavy cord was a bit of overkill, but I wasn't sure if my next smallest cordage would be up to bearing the weight. If it's just going to get sloppy after a year, I dunno... Maybe I'll give it a go. I'll at least have the original stuff to put back in if it bombs.
    I found on my 11' hammock that I was getting to much stretch on the 1/4" shock cord which then put too much tension on the UB causing at least partial compression. The lighter shock cord can stretch much further without over tensioning the blanket. The weight of the blanket does not really stretch the shock cord by itself.
    A canoe or trike to do most of the hauling.
    A hammock to take away the bumps at night.
    Now that's the way to go.

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by myingon View Post
    The weight of the blanket does not really stretch the shock cord by itself.
    Good to know. My main hammock is an 11 footer, too, but I don't seem to be having the same problem with compression. I've added a number of different items between the sp and the hammock to see how far I can push it. I have two small down throws that fit nicely (I've got them fitted with suspension cords). I've also thrown in everything from a water repellent picnic blanket (which helped a lot despite being very thin), a homemade denim quilt (stretches the limit of the weight bearing capability of the sp's lines), sleeping bags and synthetic comforters or portions thereof. All could be made to work with just a little finagling to keep it laying loosely in the underquilt. None of these would work for a backpacking excursion, but for car camping or short carry-ins, I'm pretty much covered to any temperature I need. Most of the time, I intend to use the two down throws if needed for extra low temps. We're scheduled for a -6 degree overnight (-21 canadian) Saturday night, and I'm going to see what I can get out of some combination from the gear war room.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Received my wife's Snugpak underblanket yesterday and noticed a few changes. Nothing structural but just different. First is the labeling on the blanket itself. On my underblanket ordered last December the name on the side of it is embroidered on and on the new one ordered in February the name is printed on it just like on the stuff sack. The other difference is the stuff sack colour. It is a match for the blankets blue/green colour but on my older one it is olive in colour. No big deal. The rest is the same. Its mounted the same way. The blanket itself is the same. Just thought I would share this.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Mine is printed on as well.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I had a snugpak cocoon I returned for a replacement. The first one had the stitched logo, the second one the screen printed style logo.

I liked the stitched logo better, but isn't really an issue.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I've used my first SP UB extensively with my WBBB XLC this past winter and my two subsequent SP UB's with my daughter's WBBB and the plain gathered end ENO hammock my friends have been using and fortunately never needed to make any modifications to the original suspension save for adding four tiny carabiners for convenience. I've not had the problems with gaps or compression that it seems many have needed to address by reconfiguring the suspension.

The SP UB by itself keeps my underside comfortable down to the 34-36 degree F range. Lower than that, I simply slide my Thermarest Z Lite pad between the layers of my double layer hammock and I'm back to feeling toasty again. I haven't tried putting anything between the SP UB and my hammock. I'd be afraid I'd create gaps and/or compression doing so.

I also read a number of people had problems with the two inner web cord attachment points tearing out. I'm thinking the only way that would happen is if stress is being placed on the SP UB when the hammock is loaded, which should never be the case. If the SP UB is being forced to bear weight from the loaded hammock it isn't going to provide any more insulation than if you put it inside the hammock and layed on top of it. If the SP UB is having to withstand any force other than its own minimal weight when the hammock is loaded, the set up is improper. I attach the two inner elastic cords to my hammock end nubs and my two outer elastic cords to my HAMMOCK'S ridge line...MAKING SURE there is a small space between the bottom sag of my unloaded hammock and the SP UB. In other words, the UB hangs just a tiny bit lower than the hammock, but comes together flush with each end of the hammock and MOVES WITH the hammock. Then I use the cord tensioner in the middle of each long side to bring the SP UB sides up high along my hammock's sides, so the SP UB cups nicely all around my hammock. After I climb in, I slip my hand down between my hammock and the SP UB to feel under my rear end to make sure the SP UB is still hanging loosely below my loaded hammock. If the sides are cinched up nicely around your hammock and the ends are flush with your hammock and the bottom is sagging just an inch or so shy of touching your hammock, you're going to be toasty down to at least 36 degrees F, even if the wind is blowing fiercely.

I've also been pleased with the SP top quilt. I don't bother bringing my mummy bag any more. The SP top quilt keeps me plenty warm and packs up to less than half the size of my mummy bag. I do have a little down throw (maybe 3' x 3') that I bring along if it's really cold to use, too. I'd be ok without it, but I like how it INSTANTLY warms me up...as opposed to waiting a bit for my body heat to warm up my SP top quilt. I slip the little bit of down blanket between me and the top quilt. And it's small enough that I can stuff it in the sack with the SP top quilt.

I've been really pleased with the quality and performance of the SnugPak under blanket and top quilt. I don't think it is by any means a replacement for a down underquilt/ top quilt...but if you can't afford down yet, the SnugPak is awesome.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 03-18-2016 at 09:57.

Hammock
    WBBB, Night Owl,WBRR
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex, WD13
    Insulation
    AHNR, LocoGP, AHRC
    Suspension
    adj. web, whoopie
    It is too bad these SP UB is back ordered until God knows when, they must make them out of unobtainium.

I will end up going with a KAQ New River
    “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast