DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Ah, ok. I made the mistake of not long far enough when I made my first one, so just wanted to make sure you didn't do the same

Not sure if I'm visualizing this right, but it sounds like you might not have tied the strings at the midpoint of the long edge together?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat/gheto diy
    Insulation
    pads/PLUQ
    Suspension
    diy straps
    My liner didn't have ties there.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    THat doesn't make any sense, actually...

The two layers should be tied together at the corners, so you have 2 smooth layers under you...

Pics?

Oh.. Ties missing: that's normal... I sewed loops on the 6 spots so I could tie up my PLUQ easily...

You can sew 3/8" grosgrain loops or 1/4" ties on by hand if you wanted to . . .
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat/gheto diy
    Insulation
    pads/PLUQ
    Suspension
    diy straps
    I figured I could just hand sew the layers together at a few spots along the seam between the channel and the body of the liner.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Ah, ok. I made the mistake of not long far enough when I made my first one, so just wanted to make sure you didn't do the same

Not sure if I'm visualizing this right, but it sounds like you might not have tied the strings at the midpoint of the long edge together?
    I made a couple of these our first year. I'm not sure I understand your question, but refer back to the picture in post 7 where it shows it hanging and see if that helps. Perhaps it's just me not following and I'm a bit short witted today

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat/gheto diy
    Insulation
    pads/PLUQ
    Suspension
    diy straps
    so it got down to 46 last night in my back yard. started out on the warm side,and woke up around 6 pretty toasty except for my butt/lower back. Put my car window reflector in there and it killed the cold spot; still more comfy than a thermarest and feel like it would stay in place better, but i was already awake so i made coffee.

my question is if i decided to make this a sew up, and add some insulation to get a few more degrees ( well the max with out adding bulk) what kind is preferred and why?

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You could throw in a layer of insultex or climashield. If I were going to do it, I would use Climashield Apex.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Klanecfsb View Post
    so it got down to 46 last night in my back yard. started out on the warm side,and woke up around 6 pretty toasty except for my butt/lower back. Put my car window reflector in there and it killed the cold spot; still more comfy than a thermarest and feel like it would stay in place better, but i was already awake so i made coffee.

my question is if i decided to make this a sew up, and add some insulation to get a few more degrees ( well the max with out adding bulk) what kind is preferred and why?
    You have your positives and negatives with the sew version. I'm on the negative side and glad that I did the no sew. I always knew eventually I'd end up with the proper down underquilts and it was just a matter of time. Luckily I still have all of our no sew pluq (3) that can now be used as extra underquilts, or untied and hung as an over cover or even used as an undercover and so many other options are still there and available to us.

We found when the temps dropped that we could pin a down throw to the pluq, and or a wool blanket (definite car camp on the wool option or pulk) there are several things that you can slide between the folds of the pluq also (not the down throw, you want that ontop so it doesn't compress). Your options are only limited by your imagination, and what your willing to carry. You can use fleece along with reflectix , and even a couple of layers of floor PE.

Also don't forget your hammock sock. That can add upwards to almost 10 degrees to your micro climate, helping everything to work together. We've made it to 35 with a down throw pined to the top of the PLUQ, a piece of reflectix under our butts, and our polyester hammock socks. Our TQs were (and we still are using) 30 degree patrol bags with zippers cut out.

Now if the PLUQ is something that you plan on using indefinitely, then by all means add to it and sew that sucker up along with adding some draft tubes. Heck, if your going to do it, you might as well do it right

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat/gheto diy
    Insulation
    pads/PLUQ
    Suspension
    diy straps
    After some thought I think my cold spot might have been caused by the pluq bunching towards the center, causing the part near my butt to sag a little too far away from me. I can see the advantages of corner tie outs in that regard, but I do like the ability to slide the quilt along the suspension once I am in. If I was going to go to the trouble of adding draft tubes, I think I would just make a down UQ

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Exactly.... I used my pluq to augment my lost river uq when it got down to 28 degrees one night... I slept plenty warm.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast