WBBB XLC DL 1.1/ DIY SL Digicam 1.8
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Think I'm going to change to the sew up...

Here's my first take - think I'll be converting to the sew up version. A bit sloppy and 'futzy' to get set up and sealed off.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/ DIY SL Digicam 1.8
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I would add that this thing is nice and toasty at 68 degrees indoors - worth the investment for the poncho liner for an indoor hammock quilt alone. Will post picks in the sewed up version thread - once I can get to Joann's and pick up a new needle for my thread injector. Broke today working on a tree strap...

Hi, the op had 20' of cord in the first no sew, then he did a second option. Does the second require more cord? Starting the process of buying my stuff to try it? Thanks
    Last edited by cgeb; 12-25-2013 at 10:28.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Working that out.
    Suspension
    Straps
    Apologies if I am ressurecting the dead, but I am considering making an UQ with a PL, and am not sure I understand some things.

First, some info that may or may not be relevant. I am 6'4", and weigh in the neighborhood of 300#, hoping to eventually get back to closer to 250 after some medical gain. I have really broad shoulders. I am waiting on a tablecloth, I went with the wider 90" wide, after some research and quick testing, figuring I can always go narrower.

On to the questions!

Why fold the PL in half? Wouldn't using the full width give better coverage, or is my flat sleeping conditioned brain not getting something?

Would it help or hinder to have shock cord that you could run from the edges at the corners (and perhaps near the middle as well), up to the ridgeline, once in the hammock, to help with centering/cradling? I thought I saw something in one of Shug's videos to that effect.

Instead of running shock cord along the entirety of the outsides, could you attach at the corners for suspension, to save on how much cordage you use, or does it need it down the length of both sides to work?

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyte View Post
    On to the questions!

Why fold the PL in half? Wouldn't using the full width give better coverage, or is my flat sleeping conditioned brain not getting something?
    The PL itself is very thin. 1 Layer wont give much insulation. It'll also be WAY to wide, unless you cut it down and sew. Maybe good for summer weight 70*F nights, unless you're a pretty warm sleeper. Then maybe 60-65*F. I'm a cold sleeper and can only take a sewn PLUQ down to maybe 55-60*F before I start getting colds spots.

Would it help or hinder to have shock cord that you could run from the edges at the corners (and perhaps near the middle as well), up to the ridgeline, once in the hammock, to help with centering/cradling? I thought I saw something in one of Shug's videos to that effect.
    It can. If you're doing a true no-sew you wont have any place on one side of attach the shock cord though. If you do a sewn quilt, you wont need it (unless you follow the pattern with dart's on the long edge...I wouldn't recommend that one though).

Instead of running shock cord along the entirety of the outsides, could you attach at the corners for suspension, to save on how much cordage you use, or does it need it down the length of both sides to work?

Thanks in advance!
    Having the shock cord help's the quilt seal against the hammock on the sides. Otherwise you can get gaps that cause drafts.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra

I guess the biggest reason is folding it in half gives you double the insulation value.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie & HF Strap
    Thank you, thank you, Thank You!!!!!!!!!

I've got 4 of these that I use for summer sleeping bags and have been researching how to make a UQ with them.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo Double
    Tarp
    Wise Owl
    Insulation
    Working that out.
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    The PL itself is very thin. 1 Layer wont give much insulation. It'll also be WAY to wide, unless you cut it down and sew.
    I get the thin, maybe not enough insulation. Why is it too wide, that's what I don't understand. If you half it, you are going to have about 45 inches (give or take, I don't have the exact measurements in front of me atm) of width. With a hammock much wider than than, and a diagonal lay, wouldn't you want it wider?

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Looking back at your post I see you said you got a 90" wide hammock. I don't have any expirience with that.

For a normal 60" wide hammock, that this was designed for, 45" is plenty wide. You may have to adjust based on how your hammock lays. 90" is very wide and not typical.

That said, the uq moves with you somewhat. It doesnt need to be as wide as the hammock to cover you. But at the same time because they are suspended from the center line they can limit an extreame diagonal lay.

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast