Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    thank you so much, this is a big help

This worked perfect and I only used 550 cord and two bunjee cords for suspension as I am in Afghanistan and thats what I have access to.

I slept toasty in this last night and it hangs perfect covering me from ankle to shoulder.

if you want to see the pictures... http://imgur.com/a/wm4az#1

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)

Success

Forecast looked cooler than I had prepped for with pads, so I picked up a poncho liner at Harry's Army Nave in Robbinsville NJ (15 bucks) and used my 25" of 1/8" shock cord to whup up one.

Threading the cord was a PITA, and this stuff "grabs" so it managed to pull some fluffy out of the hem. It wasn't totally clear to me how to connect this to the hammock, so I threw the leftover shock cord into the pack and off I went. Up there on Kitattiny Ridge I had a great view (dorked the pics, so no art), I threw the thing on the suspension and gathered the ends, hopped in and my buddy reported no air gaps.

Instant warmth.

Winds that night gusted into the thirties, and aside from that amusing moment where the PLUQ flooped off to one side and it took me awhile to notice "hmmm...what's that sensation...cold..." it worked like a champ down to low 40's plus wind effects. Getting inside a monster old North Face synthetic bag helped, too. . .

Spent some time watching the tree tops pitch wildly in the gusts. . . .

GREAT little DIY and dead easy if I can do it, anyone can.

Thanks dejoha and all sundry!
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

I took my first attempt at a pluq today. Successfully, I'd say.

$10 for the poncho liner because some of the tie outs had been cut off. A few minutes on the thread injector to reinforce those areas and I was good to go.

Should I care about the floppy part in the last pic? It bothers me that it does not hang straight.

Temps only got down to about 60 last night, but with the PLUQ and a light fleece top blanket, I was totally comfortable.

Question on "alignment" of the PLUQ... When inside the hammock, the PLUQ does not come up as high as the sides of the hammock. Also on the ends, the hammock is a bit wider than the PLUQ.

I guess I expected it to 'envelope' the hammock more. But this was a great $10 solution to get warm.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Wool, Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I just sewed two of the pl's together on 3 sides. It definately envelopes the entire hammock well, and I think its a good deal warmer as well.

What did I do wrong?

Made the no sew. Made a slight mod in that I added 4 adjustable shock cords on each corner. Kinda like a "hillbilly" attempt at the LeighLo suspension. Installed on a HH Explorer. I did not use the hammocks's side tie outs. When I got in the hammock and on the asym lie, the pluq would roll to one side of the hammock. I reached around and got it back in place. Later, when I turned in the hammock, it did the same. Pluq ended up completely on one side of the hammock. Originally, I just cinched the shock cord up until the pluq was just up against the bottom of the hammock. I just snugged each end shock cord. Any ideas what I did wrong or will this just happen getting in the hammock of turning in the hammock? Tnx in advance.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I've had this problem occasionally, myself. It's never been so bad that the whole thing was on one side, but it has been an issue with it slipping off of my shoulder and knee occasionally.

What I found works the best was to cinch the shoulder cord and the knee cord (the ones on the opposing points of your asym lie) a little more than the other two. This helps pull the PLUQ into place and keep it there. In my opinion, the shoulder corner being in the right spot is more important than the other ones; it helps keep me warmer, as I lose more heat through my torso than my legs.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Thanks

FL Rider, thanks I'll give that a try. I think I had all 4 corners pulled about the same. So, you have the corner opposite your feet and head tighter and the corner where your feet and head are looser? Think I'm going to order some quilt hooks from Dutch as well

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    FL Rider, thanks I'll give that a try. I think I had all 4 corners pulled about the same. So, you have the corner opposite your feet and head tighter and the corner where your feet and head are looser? Think I'm going to order some quilt hooks from Dutch as well
    Opposite that. I lie with my head left and my feet right, due to being right-handed. I tighten the left shoulder and right foot corners more than the right shoulder and left foot. This helps bring the PLUQ in line with my body. The tightest corner is the left shoulder, as that's the most important one.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast