Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRP View Post
    so with a 15* bag, how low could you take a PLUQ? what about if you add a cheap pad or space blanket?
    I'll take a stab

I think the lowest I took my PLUQ (sewn up version) was about 45°F. Before I found under quilts, I used the blue closed-cell foam pads from WalMart. The lowest I attempted pads alone was 15°F and I about froze myself into a hypothermic coma (I only had one layer of padding).

Another time, I attempted to tape a space blanket (mylar) to my Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock. I then used my Kelty Galatic 35°F bag as a pull-up bag around my hammock. I think that combination got me into the 20s°F.

You can see in this photo the Mylar sticking out of the end, if you look closely.

I would guess if you combined all three (PLUQ, CCF pad, and Mylar space blanket) you could get into the 20s°F with a good top quilt, maybe lower.

I'm suppose to have some cold nights (15°F) this week, so maybe I'll test a PLUQ and CCF combo just to try it out.

But, yes -- test yourself and see It's kind of fun, especially if you can run back inside if it gets too cold. My wife likes to laugh at me when I do that.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Just when I was guessing, I saw this post from an HF member who went down as low as 23°F with a CCF pad and PLUQ.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm putting my first hammock together, and trying to decide on the least costly under insulation. The cost of this is definitely attractive, however, I am a bit put off by the weight.

Would there be any issue with cutting a head slit so that it's wearable like the JRB Sniveler quilts? In that case it could replace some in-camp insulation in my pack, so I could justify a couple extra ounces.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I see no issues with this at all. Given the location of the slit would likely line up with the edge when in Underquilt mode, it should work perfectly...

Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    I'm putting my first hammock together, and trying to decide on the least costly under insulation. The cost of this is definitely attractive, however, I am a bit put off by the weight.

Would there be any issue with cutting a head slit so that it's wearable like the JRB Sniveler quilts? In that case it could replace some in-camp insulation in my pack, so I could justify a couple extra ounces.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    Sorry to necro this thread, but I figured it is a relevant question.

How do you keep the head end shifting side to side on a asym hammock like a Hennessy?

I took my PLUQ out this weekend for the first time and it worked great, it took a little adjusting here and there and I had to clip the PLUQ to the hammock tie outs to keep the whole thing from popping left or right when I initially get in. The issue was as I got in and out on occasion through the night the head end shifted to the right a bit leaving my left side exposed a bit. It was not cold (about 60f) but I could certainly tell the difference.

I am using the modified version with shock cord running the length which I clip into a plastic s clip hanging from the support line.

Otherwise this a great easy to do project and given that I had a couple of PL's lying around I only had to by shockcord and some cord locks.

I added a few details, some 550 cord loops on the fold side to keep the shockcord in place and sewed a few strips of velcro on the open side to keep it closed. Still only weighs in at 22.5 oz which is nice.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Sorry to necro this thread, but I figured it is a relevant question.

How do you keep the head end shifting side to side on a asym hammock like a Hennessy?

I took my PLUQ out this weekend for the first time and it worked great, it took a little adjusting here and there and I had to clip the PLUQ to the hammock tie outs to keep the whole thing from popping left or right when I initially get in.
    Sounds to me like you found a good solution. If you look at the KAQ DIY instructions, it has a built-in darts and attachments to the side tieouts, just for that purpose...

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Sounds to me like you found a good solution. If you look at the KAQ DIY instructions, it has a built-in darts and attachments to the side tieouts, just for that purpose...
    Yeah that was an in the field fix when I saw how PLUQ was hanging in comparison to the hammock. I already have adding some loops to those areas on my to-do list.

I had done the field fix before the head portion was slipping though. I may try and loosen the head portion a bit where the PLUQ is gathered so it can conform a bit more.

I'll dig up those KAQ dyi plans for comparison.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Thats awesome!! thank you for taking the time to post all of that info.
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Hammock
    Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Images
    Wow, nice. I have an extra and will knock one out before this weekend. How well does it work when sleeping on the diagonal as described else where(eno double nest)? does it shift with you? Thks

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Like any rectangular UQ, it'll shift and move with you. It's all about getting it adjusted correctly. Don't over-tighten the end channels, and you'll be fine.

I keep looking for cheap sources of PL's, but the best I can find is $25 locally at a surplus shop, and most of these are pretty rough... Is there a good source out there?

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast