Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Smile Backyard Hang with the Boy

Heading out into the deep wilderness of my backyard for an overnight hang with my 6-year-old camping buddy. He will be snug in his TNF Tigger inside his DIY hammock, I'll be in my SD Sandman Flex in my cheap Kalisto from Wally-World, hanging for the first time from my WhoOpie Slings. Weather is clear, low around 46.

Does life get any better than this?

Namaste,
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

boys will be boys

My oldest (11 yrs) stayed in our backyard last night by himself. He used his HH Scout model. He has been doing this for about 2 yrs now. I believe he enjoys being out there all alone. We both hang sometimes

He even got up this morning and made breakfast in my Brasslite alcohol stove with a small amount of unknown supervision. he thinks he is Shug.

It got down to 45 and he didnt even get on his pad. Only had a fleece for a blanket. That kid is toguh as nails. He has a 20* bag and opted to try that out.
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    Heading out into the deep wilderness of my backyard for an overnight hang with my 6-year-old camping buddy. ..... Does life get any better than this?

Namaste,
    No ... it really doesn't. Have a great time. Love to see you post some shots of the great adventure ... but mainly enjoy the quality time with the little guy while you can. They grow up rather fast!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thumbs up Great Night

Wow--beautiful night full of stars, crickets, and only the occasional train horn or fire truck siren.

Seriously, though, it was a really nice night. My son slept like a log, but it looks like he's going to need a bigger hammock by next year. We both woke up to watch 3 squirrels playing in the neighbor's tree and birds buzzing our hammocks.

BEAS: Sounds like you've planted some good outdoor seeds with your son. Mine isn't ready yet to sleep alone outside, and that's OK with me. I like being out there, too.

Hawk eye: Yeah, they do grow up fast. I didn't take any photos--by the time I got home, had dinner, and got set up, it was past the little guy's bed time. I can show you a photo of his hammock, though.

The photo shows my Explorer, but I used an open hammock last night. We both hung from the same stand, and I'm always a little amazed that the stakes anchoring my hammock stand hold through the night, but it seems to work fine. Here's a shot of that setup.

--Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You and the kids will remember these nights for forever.
    This coming weekend, I'm going into the woods with my 21 year old Eagle Scout. We're going to a place we camped at 10 years ago. His new bride is going with us. I think she's a keeper.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Awesome. Have a great trip!

--Scott <><

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb &amp; DYI UQ
    bonsaihiker

I like the way you hung the rigs side by side,,, my 2 are 2 yoa and 4 yoa,,, I haven't tried setting up like that,,,they both could sleep in one , right next to me.....

cool beans

Randy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    bonsai... looks like you had a good time.

Heres a set-up I did with my 6yo on Drummond Island, MI this past fall...

The yotes talking off in the distance was more than he could handle. We ended up sleeping in the truck. That and it rained almost the entire time we were on the island.

Getting out with the kids is a gift I never contemplated growing up or during my wifes pregnancy. It truly is amazing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like hanging them next to me for a lot of reasons. Firstly and most importantly, I don't have to figure out where they are and what they're doing any time, all night long. Secondly, they feel much more comfortable snuggled next to dad. Thirdly, we can chat a while or I can read them a bedtime story right "next door." Fourthly, they are just so darn cute to look at when they sleep, and fifthly, we share a single tarp.

The only downside is that it's hard for me to stay comfortably asleep if we are hanging too closely, which always happens if we use the same 2 trees. I try to set up with the head ends on different trees that are about 2 feet apart (in relation to the ridgeline of the tarp), which gives us just enough room to move without being cramped or hanging out from under the tarp. This, of course, means finding a site with three trees the right distance apart. Not impossible, but it can keep you looking for a while, which is entirely OK with me for the experience I get camping with the little rug rats.
    --Scott <><

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like fun, Opie. It's a gift you savor forever.

Here's my son and I this past spring at the Red River Gorge, KY where it rained most of the time as well, and this is my daughter and I in August with much better weather. This is the whole family out in some of the heaviest rain I've ever camped in, with the ENTIRE campsite under about an inch of water within 10 minutes of the start of the rain, but all dry and happy....

Yep, those are the best times....
    --Scott <><

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast