Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Tree Strap Length

This seems like a painfully obvious thread topic, however, I searched a couple of times and came up empty.

Question: What is the optimum tree strap length?

I assume the answer is going to very by location since trees here in the Mid-Atlantic seem to be most prominently second growth which tend to be tall and thin. I do most of my backpacking along the AT between TN and PA and in WV. I consider myself a lightweight backpacker, not UL so I don't want to carry a bunch of extra strap around just to put extra wraps on small trees, but I don't want to have to use rope to extend my tree straps every night either. So I'm looking for opinions from folks in this area who like or dislike a specific length of tree strap.

Is anyone using one 6' strap and one 8' strap (for example) since no two trees are ever the same size? This would cut down on weight and give you a little more flexibility.

Clarification: I am referring to tree hugger length such as you would use with a rope or whoopee suspension.
    Last edited by J_Squared; 11-05-2009 at 11:11. Reason: Clarificaiton

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Are you using webbing for the full suspension, ala a cinch buckle or ring buckle? Or are you using webbing only as tree huggers, ala a HH knot or whoopie slings on a marlinspike hitch?

For full suspension setups, you probably will be fine with 12' per end. For hugger setups, you'll likely want 6' per end.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    What AS said. I'd add that while the one short strap and one long strap idea sounds good, after a while I've realized that our mid-Atlantic woods don't have quite as many options as they appear to have at first. One of the main things that rules out a hanging site for me is underbrush that will drive me nuts making a rubbing sound against the bottom of the hammock all night. Hanging higher can solve this sometimes, but not always. Also, even if two trees are perfectly spaced, sometimes there's not good clearance to pitch my tarp, so I move on. Bottom line, I like having two straps 12-14 feet long since it gives me more flexibility. I use the straps as part of my suspension with the marlinspike method, but the majority of the length of the strap is around the tree. Straps get you thinking about tree diameter, and there are many trees in our region with more than a six-foot circumference. You may find yourself wanting to hang in a park-like setting one day with huge elms and maples and you'll be happy for the extra length.

I think there was a strap length discussion a while back. Angrysparrow can find things in the archives that elude me.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I use two 15 ft. lengths. It gives me flexibility, and I am not an UL guy. I like options. Northern Michigan where I do most of my hanging occasionally presents some large white pines or deciduous trees. The length is then needed.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB D1.1
    Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I am currently using the stock WB strap suspension either 13 or 15' I think. Obviously this is more flexible since you can go with a longer hang distance with smaller trees and vice versa. I am looking to save some weight with a whoopee sling suspension. I don't want to cut my stock straps to make the tree huggers though so I can change back if I decide I don't want to worry about tree size in my site selection.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Squared View Post
    I am looking to save some weight with a whoopee sling suspension. I don't want to cut my stock straps to make the tree huggers though so I can change back if I decide I don't want to worry about tree size in my site selection.
    If you use a whoopie sling but carry the long huggers, you'll have actually added weight rather than remove it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB D1.1
    Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    True; Does anyone know the weight/length of the 1" seatbelt straps from strapworks?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    True; Does anyone know the weight/length of the 1" seatbelt straps from strapworks?
    Strapworks 1" Polyester - 1.23oz/yd
    Strapworks 1" Seatbelt Polyester - 1.04oz/yd
    Warbonnet 1" Polyester - .65oz/yd
    OWFINC 1" Polyester (Woodland) - .63oz/yd
    Harbor Freight 1" Polyester (Yellow) - .54oz/yd

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I use 65" long straps for tree huggers and whoopie slings with 6 feet of adjustment attached to the straps with a marlin spike hitch and toggle system. Never had any trouble hanging my hammock with this kit. I make a complete kit with 2, 65 " long, 1" polyester seatbelt webbing ( the best imo) straps with a loop sewn in one end, 2 whoopie slings made from 7/64 Amsteel in silver and two hardwood dowel toggles. Rated strenght for this is 1600 lbs. The whoopie slings have a buried eye splice for larksheading onto your hammock. $30 shipped. weight is less tha 6 oz.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use short huggers with my 6' whoopies... either 4' or 5' depending upon where I'm going. A pair of looped 4' long 1" straps in seat belt material from Strapworks weighs exactly 3.0oz.
    I my Warbonnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast