Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping pads

Sleeping pads

Any suggestions for good sleeping pads? Right now i have a thermarest prolite plus.
    Or any suggestions on underquilts! I just don't wanna break the bank

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY TQ - DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi Zachary, I'm new to hammocks (still don't have any gear yet) and new to HF as well so I'm no expert. I have done a little research. You are probably well aware of Shug's videos? He seems to have a video for just about every hammock related topic including this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFWs6UH7C74 in which he discusses the use of the Thermarest Prolite.

Col "The Hammer"

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    i stopped using ccf pads in hammocks in the early 1980's. i recommend getting yourself a high-quality full or 3/4 length UnderQuilt.

i currently own 11 quilts and i think i've had 20 in all. tried all the major-minors (the best of the cottage industry quiltmakers).

for my money hammockgear has the best designs out there with their Burrow TQ and Incubater UQ. and it's not really possible to make them much lighter (in case you are concerned with backpack carry weight) without sacrificing necessary features.

i also use a Zpacks cuben-bottomed 2/3 length UQ, but that's not being made anymore. if you want a synthetic quilt, you can get into the game for around a hundred bucks at arrowhead equipment. the hammockgear quilts are around double that. you might also check out Molly Mac's Orca & Baby Orca if you're not going to be sub-freezing and you can handle some external condensation and a tiny bit of internal clamminess.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I use uqs in the summer, but wgen it gets cold...real cold ccf just cant be beat. I think some of the condensation issues some have *might* be a result of the ccf being to insulative for the temps they are used at. IOW, they are too warm and the body is generating more perspiration. Just a thought. Anyway, I use ccf exclusively in the subzero temps. Its bulky for sure, but it sure is warm and light (and cheap).
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Thank you for all the responses!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer this.....
    And UQ stuff....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Figure out what you want and go from there.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

The video was very helpful thanks shug

What sort of temps will pads keep you warm too?

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    This appear to be well received. They are the insulated version rated at 4.4 R value.
    On sale now for $60 USD.
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/klymit-...-static-v-lite

I am waiting on mine. Thought at this price i could nae go far wrong.

I have used an Exped Downmat 9 DLX at -20*C and find that under inflating it is the key to comfort. I also find a short length of CCF placed under the pad in a 't' shape or a bundle of clothes in the shoulder area helps prevent Cold Shoulder Syndrome. The pads itself is well warm enough but anywhere that you hang over the pad and are touching the fabric gets COLD...QUICK. That is one reason folks prefer UQs.

If you find the pad slipping on the hammock fabric apparently putting a few dots of silicone sealant on the pads underside will help. I have never had to do this in my DD Frontline. I actually preferred not using the pad between the double layers of the Frontline and instead used it directly underneath me. Most folks seem to recommend using it between the layers. Ah well, never really been accused of being normal.
    Hangin' High and Dry

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just thought I would mention that I've had the condensation problem using ccf but only when I've slept using my sleeping bag like a quilt with just a shirt between me and my ccf (it was in between the hammock layers though). If I actually get in my sleeping bag, which is a pain but does put that extra layer in between, the issue gowe away. Ccf is cheap and does work well... Check out a1foamandfabrics.com , you can buy ccf by the yard and cut it to the shape you want to fit your hammock. I've been down to 35* so far with no problem, heard of people going much colder with it though...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast