Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ultralight backpacker here with a few concerns

I've searched this site, and couldn't find anything that would answer my question. I know there's nothing worse than a newbie asking the same old questions, so hopefully I didn't miss anything in my search. If I did, my apologies.

I'm an ultralight backpacker. I mean really ultralight. Like I very rarely carry anything over 20 pounds. I don't mean on 3 day trips either, but on long excursions.

I've been using a tarp to camp with for as long as I can remember. Currently, I use the Ray Jardine tarp, quilt, and backpack. Really, I didn't set out to be a walking advertisement for them, lol, ... but, they were one of the first things I tried, and since it worked for me, I stuck with them.

I'm really intrigued by the hammocks. They just seem so easy in set up, and so light. Plus, they look very handy in rainy weather as opposed to wrestling with a tarp while trying to keep everything dry.

My concern, though, is with space in my backpack.

I notice a lot of people carry underquilts and then the usual over(?) quilt to cover themselves. Now, to me, it seems like carrying an under quilt, along with the top quilt would take up a lot of space in a pack. I really don't want to add too much to my gear lists.

Does anyone find that carrying an underquilt for the hammock takes up a lot more space in the pack? Is it even feasible for a truly ultralight backpacker? And a minimalist to boot? Carrying two quilts, essentially, just boggles my minimalist mind!

I also notice that some people use pads for the hammock. But, then, the issues of slippage and condensation come into play. How bad is this really? I use a pad for sleeping on the ground now, and don't mind trying it in a hammock. Ideally, I'd love to get rid of the pad altogether, and just use the hammock, but then I'm afraid I'd be cold.

I suppose, I'm wondering whether my current set up (tarp and pad) is more comfortable and simpler than the hammock option. Or whether the hammock option would add more simplicity to my light backpacking style. Obviously, I know it varies for every individual. But, I was curious about the experiences of other ultralight backpackers before I take the plunge into hammocks.

I appreciate any input.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Let me be the first to say welcome to the forms
    Most OQ and UQ are very light to start...
    i run a HH with a SS and a Hudson river OQ and my setup is under 5lbs for winter around 3 for summer now there are lighter setups than mine....i seen some run as low as 3lbs for winter setup best thing to do is test out gear...find what works for you...are you a cold sleeper...or warm...what works for me may not work for you ....there are a few trade-offs
    you may gain a lbs in your pack...but will sleep alot better at night on the trail...that and you can setup camp on mnt sides...or even over a river....and you will never have to worry about getting wet while sleeping
    your hammock will work as a chair
    no snakes
    you can hang your gear off the hammock...keep everything dry

once you hang you will never go back
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    ultralight minimalist at 20lbs??? well I carry 22-24 3 season and 25 winter and yes that extra pound is a heavier underquilt.
    You are already carrying the lightest house kit possible:
    3/4 torso pad, top quilt, lightest/smallest fly
    To hang you add the weight of a hammock...for example a 1.7 Warbonnet BB 1 pound 6 ounces, then you add the weight of the underquilt...for example 3 season Yeti 12ouncs, then you subtract the weight of you 3/4 torso pad since it won't be needed in normal 3 season use....then you add back in the weight of a small sit pad that you some use on the pack for padding (like the Gossamer Mariposa/Mariposa Plus)....say 2-3 ounces for the sit pad (multi multi use item)....you will add a larger tarp for several reasons....but for example I carried a MLD Hex in cuben which is huge and weighs 8.5 ounces....I did carry one Griz Beak --def. optional but not for me anymore. So depending on your gear choices the penalty for hammocking in 3 seasons could range from 1-2 pounds depending really on how much you want to spend.....an example here is a top quilt i use by Nunatak set me back 1300 (eiderdown, hand picked from the nest)...12 ounce quilt good to 32F for me when wearing smartwool underneath......
    I promise as will many here that the ability to sleep within a cumulonimbus cloud every night is worth a far greater weight penalty. When I think back 36 years ago to what I was carrying I laugh...7 pound tent! anyway you get the idea.
    A lot of people tout the ability to hang anywhere---not so fast...if you're on the east side of the US then no problem but 2 summers ago I was in Kings Canyon NP and above 10,000 feet there are no trees Sometimes on the AT you will spend a few moments finding trees that are the proper distance but as an above poster alluded to, I've hung in places a goat would not walk....and the chair, you cannot carry a chair that is more comfortable and if you go Warbonnet you will find yourself stopping in the middle of the day just to recline....so its not just about hanging.
    Do you cook on the trail? How about being in repose and reaching down and firing up the stove....the list goes on and on and on............

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Are you comfortable sleeping on the ground?
    Are you already carrying/packing some kind of pad?
    Do you like sleeping in the mud and bugs?
    Crawling on my hands and knees to find shelter, don't sound like fun to me. The comfort of the hammock is exceptional!!!
    So, try it. Minimalist are here...I do not consider myself a UL person, they will check in soon..
    But you already have a quilt (a nice quilt, by the sounds of it),tarp, probably are carrying some kind of sleep pad and/or ground cloth, so the weight difference would be a trade off. For ul the nano hammock is somewhere in the 190 grams area.Gunn's video thanks Gunn.
    Try one out, sleep in comfort, high and dry, worth the extra tiny bit of weight.

welcome to the forum
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Hi there!
    There was a thread recently about what I suppose we'll have to call super duper lightweight hammocking: you may have found it already but ..... just in case you did not ... here you go!
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Storyteller, I have the same concerns with bulk, tho I no longer use my Jardine pack. I have found the Speer set-up, with a pad and SPE on the bottom (and my Jardine quilt on top) is the solution for me. I sleep very comfortably down to the low 30's, and occasionally lower. I have been considering making a narrower top quilt for hammock use, further reducing bulk. I got used to the pad slippage in about 3 nights, hasn't been a problem since. I haven't had problems with condensation, maybe a few drops under the pad on humid nights. I think you'll find you rest so much better hanging, you'll never go back to ground.

- Duffy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I'm not UL, but my base weight (less the trekking poles) is 14 Lbs. I certainly could go lighter by going with: a down OQ, Whoopie sling suspension with Dutch clips, A smaller tarp (Mine is HUGE), dropping my hammock sock & a few "Just for fun" things I carry like my MP3 player & flutes. But even with 3 days food I'm still under 20, just under 24 if you add 2L water.
    My over quilt is about 1/2 the size / space of a similarly rated syn bag, the under quilt (being down) makes up less than the other 1/2. AND, though I do carry one to sit & take naps on*, I don't "Have to" carry a pad. So I could save another 8 Oz by loosing that.

*Taking a nap in the hammock is usually a mistake, my last "30 minute nap" in the hammock, lasted 4+ hours.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I think all you need to get is a Nano Hammock, or similar, and use what you have with it. You'll need to set up some sort of suspension system, like a ring buckle or cinch buckle, but that's easy, though it may add more weight than you want. Or you could just add tree saver straps - but you never know exactly what size staps to get. You can't really use what comes with the Nano because it's just rope and you'll kill trees if you use it without any straps around trees.

IF you're comfortable sleeping on the ground with your present system, I wouldn't bother. You'll probably add about a pound to your system and this might not be what you want. But if you're looking for more comfort and a dry bed at night regardless of conditions then a hammock may be the way to go.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You may find that down underquilt takes up less pack space than a pad due to it's exceptional compressibility. Weight-wise, depending on what pad you use now it could be a wash. My Te-wa 2/3 down underquilt weighs 12.65oz. I use that in conjunction with a small GG Sitlight pad @1.5oz for my feet and can sleep comfortably down to the mid 30's, and get dual use from the pad as pack frame and for sitting on around camp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    As someone who has used a Rays Way quilt inside my hammock, I think you'll find two things...
    1. your current quilt is wider than you need
    2. if bulk is your concern, down is much less bulky than your synthetic one. If you can sew all your Rays Way gear, you can make a tailored top quilt (and bottom if you decide to). Plenty of good DIY tutorials on this site
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 11-09-2009 at 10:07. Reason: spelling error (as normal)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast