not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Also you can wrap the hammock in "transport tubes" and coil it around your pack for easy accessibility.(or stuff it into an exterior mesh pocket)
    KM (not yet ultra light but moving that way...)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
    I'm really intrigued by the hammocks. They just seem so easy in set up, and so light. Plus, they look very handy in rainy weather as opposed to wrestling with a tarp while trying to keep everything dry.
    Very true, this is why most of us use them. A hammock probably isn't easier to set up than a ground tarp, but it's not much harder either.

I notice a lot of people carry underquilts and then the usual over(?) quilt to cover themselves. Now, to me, it seems like carrying an under quilt, along with the top quilt would take up a lot of space in a pack. I really don't want to add too much to my gear lists.
    I use a 3/4 UQ with a GoLite Ultra20 topquilt. If you think about it, I'm carrying less than 1 full sleeping bag. Granted, you were only carrying one quilt before, but mine are both down and I've never had any problem fitting them in my Z55. TQ weighs 21.6oz, UQ weighs 12.4. That setup has taken me to about 30 degrees.

I also notice that some people use pads for the hammock. But, then, the issues of slippage and condensation come into play. How bad is this really?
    Thermarest pads are bad. Most CCF is not as bad in my experience. Many of the hammock makers make a double layer which will take a pad between the layers, and I find that to be a great solution, but it adds weight to your pack.

I suppose, I'm wondering whether my current set up (tarp and pad) is more comfortable and simpler than the hammock option.
    The reason we all do it is comfort. Like I said, sleeping on the ground is pretty darn simple, so a hammock is not going to be simpler. The comfort makes up for any extra weight, bulk, and some loss of simplicity.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    I'm a relative noob to Hammocking as well ... first let me say that you've come to the right site ... you want find a more helpful and knowledgeable group anywhere.

I bought a Hennessey Expedition and supershelter, certainly not the lightest weight option, but with the rest of my UL kit my base weight it still under 10 lbs.

Te-Wa and Gardenville are two guys I've seen on this site who are pushing the boundaries of UL, so you may want to search for their posts.

Te-Wa has proven that you can go SUL with a hammock setup if that's where you want to head to.

A Nano 7 Hammock with a custom Whoopie Sling suspension at 7 ounces (whoopiesling.com) Te-Wa or Yeti Underquilt at 12.5 ounces, and a Te-Wa overquilt at 13 ounces is pretty light. A CCF pad, although not as comfy, could be even lighter than an underquilt.

You could stick with your current tarp and you'll find that your current pack and all the rest of your gear would most likely be just fine.

Come on .... try out the dark side! You'll never go back.
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    During the warmer months, I can get my pack weight with food for 7 days in the 20lb neighborhood; usually around 22lbs. That's carrying a few small luxuries like rings and webbing suspension and Fig 9s on my tarp. Never be as light as sleeping under a tarp on the ground, but a whole heck of a lot more comfortable, which makes my days hiking more enjoyable.

The problem with 'light' is cost. However, since you are already living in the weenie-world (I mean that as a compliment), you probably already have most everything you need in a lightweight model. Quilts and a hammock are probably the only items you'll need to spend money on. Quilts aren't cheap, but lightweight hammocks less than $100 are not difficult to come by.

Welcome to the elevated weenie-world.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Isn't a Ray-Way quilt really heavy? If you put it together, perhaps you could trim it down for hammock size.

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    Also you can wrap the hammock in "transport tubes" and coil it around your pack for easy accessibility.(or stuff it into an exterior mesh pocket)
    KM (not yet ultra light but moving that way...)
    Are you referring to snake skins? Many of us keep our hammocks & tarps separate for packing. I use my HH stuff bag as a "bishop bag" and keep my HH Hex in a set of snake skins. This keeps a wet tarp separate and also allows for a quick deployment of a tarp if needed due to weather conditions.

Welcome to the forum!
    To Boldly Hang Where No One Has Hung Before...

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    yes, but avoiding use of patented /copyrighted /tradmarked reference terminology; hence the quote marks..KM

Hammock
    Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Bone Stock
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller View Post
    My concern, though, is with space in my backpack.
    Welcome fellow SUL'er. A few more and we'll get that SUL subforum yet.

My dry, bug-free, comfy HH Hyperlite complete with fly, suspension and snakeskins weighs in at 27 ounces and straps to the outside of my pack (as KM said) much like a coil of rope. This frees up space inside for the 35 ounces of down quilts I may need.

I find the setup INCREDIBLY easy.
    sul

Lord, I'm foolish to be here in the first place...
    Sonny Boy Williamson

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    forgot to remind you about compression bags that take a bulky down quilt top or bottom to very small sizes...granite gear has compression stuff sacks out that are very very light

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    I think all you need to get is a Nano Hammock, or similar, and use what you have with it. You'll need to set up some sort of suspension system, like a ring buckle or cinch buckle, but that's easy, though it may add more weight than you want. Or you could just add tree saver straps - but you never know exactly what size staps to get. You can't really use what comes with the Nano because it's just rope and you'll kill trees if you use it without any straps around trees.

IF you're comfortable sleeping on the ground with your present system, I wouldn't bother. You'll probably add about a pound to your system and this might not be what you want. But if you're looking for more comfort and a dry bed at night regardless of conditions then a hammock may be the way to go.
    Add your pad which you are already carrying ( preferably with a 3 or 4 oz Speer SPE) to that, and you should be good to go. Many folks hate pads in hammocks, but mostly that is compared to a hammock with no pad, not compared to the ground. I'll still take a hammock with a pad over the ground if at all possible.

Or, ditch the 4 oz of SPE, use a WB Yeti UQ ( 13 oz) or JRB MW3 convertible torso and use only a short pad or your pack under your legs if it is cold enough.

If you are willing to use a heavier double layer hammock like the JRB Bear Mt. Bridge, again no SPE will be needed. And this hammock is #1 IMO for use with any kind of pad. I really doubt that you will find any major negative to a pad in this hammock. Replace the webbing with an Amsteel whoopie sling to save a few more oz. You will only need a pad thick enough for insulation purposes with any hammock, as cushioning over ground/rocks/roots is not a factor.

If you know for sure the temps will be above 70-75, no insulation is needed most likely. So the hammock weight will replace some of the pad weight, which will always be needed on the ground.

Does the hammock replace any thing else you use, like a bug bivy?

Basically, just whatever you already use on the ground: pad plus tarp, now add the hammock for 7 oz - 2 lbs. If you use a bivy, save some weight and leave it, you are high and dry. If you have a thick Thermarest self inflating pad for cushioning, save some more weight replace with a much lighter CCF pad for insulation only. If you use a CCF full length pad, cut it in half( or leave behind and use your pack) in order to use with a torso UQ if you want to go with an UQ.

In the end, it is probably going to cost you a pound or two to hammock, depending greatly on which hammock you choose and what you do for under insulation and whether you already use a bivy and other things that can be replaced with the hammock. Unless it's the warm summer time some where with lows above 75. Then you can leave your pad(and bivy) behind and, depending on hammock, and/or if you use a bivy or not you might actually come out ahead on weight! Single layer hammocks can be had for 7-17 ozs, and can replace certain items.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-09-2009 at 12:27.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast