WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Question Pitching the JRB 10x11 Cat Tarp?

I just recently got a JRB 10x11 tarp after agonizing between that and a SWT. What swayed me was the multiple configuration possibilities among other more minor things. However, I'm finding that causes some other issues, not the least of which is how to rig the suspension.

My HH Hex pitches (pretty much) only one way as far as the ridgeline goes, which allows me to just keep it in the snake skins for windy setup or stargazing. Very easy, same every time, and I can do it in my sleep.

With the new tarp, what I've been leaning toward is pitching under Tired Feet & TeeDee's toggled ridgeline idea to allow last-minute changes to my pitch. I'm trying it out today in the backyard to see how it goes.

I've also thought of setting it up like my HH with cord on the RL tieouts, but no full-length RL. This would require use of heavier line than the braided mason line I currently use for stake tie-outs, though (or is heavier line even needed for ridge line tie-outs).

Either way, it doesn't allow for an easy "start" to hanging the tarp in the wind or rain. What I mean is, I have to decide which tie-out will be the ridge tie-out, and then pull it out first from the stuff sack or else have the tarp potentially flapping like a sail in the breeze.

Some ideas: I could mark the tie-outs with different colors of cord, and try to search for that color in the stuff sack. I could also try to fold/roll the tarp prior to stowing in such a way that it would be easier to find the tie-out I'm looking for.

Hopefully some of you more experienced hangers here have some thoughts on how to make this easier. Any other tips/tricks on pitching the JRB would be appreciated, too. Thanks!

Namaste,
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow &amp; Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Congrats on your tarp purchase, you won't be sorry. As far as this whole set-up thing, don't over-think it or make it more difficult than it has to be. Just pull the thing out of it's stuff sack, hold it under your armpit and put your rigde ties where you want them. Plenty of folks put different color guyline for their ridge ties to easily identify them. Once you identify your ridge tie, you can adjust where you want to attach it. Keep it tied on with a simple, but efficient knot, such as a Lark's Head. Best thing to do? Get it outside and play with it, set it up time and time again and find what works for you.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    hiya Scott,
    In order to hang the JRB 11x10 in winter mode (doors closed), you have to rotate the tarp so it is 10x11 (the sealed seam will now run from side to side instead of end to end). You have to do this to have the right # of tie-out per side. The 10' ridgline length might require consideration of your hammock suspension as to not have rings, etc outside the ends of the tarp or you'll need some drip lines
    Steps to hang (using standard method of line tied directly to tarp)
    1. suspend tarp between trees 5.5'-6' high
    2. stake out 4 corners of the tarp (I use rubber O rings for tarp tensioners. These are loop directly to the tarp tie-outs and I stake through the O rings to the ground...no guy lines) you can also stake out the middle tie out on each side if needed.
    3. close off doors at each end...again, directly to the ground.
    4. grip clip sides of the tarp if it is windy to stop the side from pushing into you
    To close the doors completely, you'll have to play with how wide a footprint to make...too wide and the doors stay open more, too narrow and you give up room inside
    experimentation will let you figure out the "sweet spot" on how wide, high, etc.
    Here is an example...not my best pitch but this was in the AM and wind was blowing pretty good (no snow inside and +5*)
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 11-09-2009 at 09:07.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks, AC. The "rotation" thing was the reason I was wondering how to setup. Looks like you just tie off the ridgeline tieouts to the tree. Thanks for the O-ring tip.

Hooch, thanks for your comment. I do tend to think things through, even to overthinking at times, but I have found that I'm glad I did when it's pouring, etc and I can set up almost without thinking. I couldn't agree more about the practice! That's the fun part of this, right?
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow &amp; Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    ......I couldn't agree more about the practice! That's the fun part of this, right?
    Nope, the fun part of it is 4 days on the trail and sleeping comfortably the whole time.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks, AC. The "rotation" thing was the reason I was wondering how to setup. Looks like you just tie off the ridgeline tieouts to the tree.
    yup, was playing this weekend with an over ridgeline using prusiks...I'll be field testing that soon to see how I like it, but it worked good in the backyard
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    FYI, I use Hennessy snake skins to pack up my large JRB tarp. Some don't like folding up the large snake in their pack but it works fine in my large outer pocket of my pack. I don't even bother to wrap my guy lines anymore. They tangle LESS setting up if I just allow them to be swallowed up by the snake skins when I'm taking down the tarp.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Images
    I just recently got a JRB 10x11 tarp after agonizing between that and a SWT. What swayed me was the multiple configuration possibilities among other more minor things. However, I'm finding that causes some other issues, not the least of which is how to rig the suspension.

My HH Hex pitches (pretty much) only one way as far as the ridgeline goes, which allows me to just keep it in the snake skins for windy setup or stargazing. Very easy, same every time, and I can do it in my sleep.

With the new tarp, what I've been leaning toward is pitching under Tired Feet & TeeDee's toggled ridgeline idea to allow last-minute changes to my pitch. I'm trying it out today in the backyard to see how it goes.

I've also thought of setting it up like my HH with cord on the RL tieouts, but no full-length RL. This would require use of heavier line than the braided mason line I currently use for stake tie-outs, though (or is heavier line even needed for ridge line tie-outs).

Either way, it doesn't allow for an easy "start" to hanging the tarp in the wind or rain. What I mean is, I have to decide which tie-out will be the ridge tie-out, and then pull it out first from the stuff sack or else have the tarp potentially flapping like a sail in the breeze.

Some ideas: I could mark the tie-outs with different colors of cord, and try to search for that color in the stuff sack. I could also try to fold/roll the tarp prior to stowing in such a way that it would be easier to find the tie-out I'm looking for.

Hopefully some of you more experienced hangers here have some thoughts on how to make this easier. Any other tips/tricks on pitching the JRB would be appreciated, too. Thanks!

Namaste,
    Hey Bonsaihiker,
    I have that tarp and have really enjoyed it's benefits. Unless weather is expected to be horrendous ( maybe even then have not tried it), that Baker Hut config can be a joy to hang out under.

Not sure where you are coming from with your old HH set up. Is the tarp inside the same snake skins as the hammock? If so, and you are able to keep things dry during set up/break down,that is a really convenient set up that will be hard to beat.

At the moment, I use #4 skins for my JRB tarp, with various hammocks in stuff sacks. Set up seems pretty darn easy, though I suppose there might be even faster, easier ways. I have all guy lines permanently(or semi) attached. All guy lines except the end ones are inside the skins. The others (on the ends) are roled up in some kind of rope storage knot( unattached coil?) that is quick and easy. There is no head or foot end.

So, while still in the skins, I just tie one end to the tree, then do the same on the other end. Maybe using a truckers hitch(slippery style) or a taughtline, whatever. Then I check for centering and readjust if needed.

If all is reasonably calm, just pull out of skins and stake as desired. If wind is howling, maybe just pull one end partially out of skins and stake/tie a line or two down before pulling completely out of skins. Same partial/little at a time approach when breaking camp. Seems to help some. But there is never any confusion about which line to tie to the trees. There is only one possibility with skins.

A stuff sack should be about the same, as long as you untie one end, start stuffing as you walk to the other tree. Then the last line to go in is the one to come out 1st and tie to the tree.

Now, what if you want to configure in some means other than A frame or whatever you last used when you broke camp and put into skins? A little trickier, but not bad. Attache to trees and center as usual. Pull out of skins and stake one or two very loosely on windward side, if needed. I have a knot on the tarp tree ends. Have a knot on the tree end guy line that is easy to untie. Untie and move over a couple of feet to the middle end tie out. Due the same on other end. There you go, Baker Hut. Leave it that way at camp break, or move it back to A frame before reskinning.

Now, changing to a 10 foot RL set up would be a lot more hassle while using skins, but I have never tried that any way.

I am also thinking I might be able to use a separate RL tree to tree, and hang the tarp in skins from the prussicks?

Hope that helps some. It has been a great tarp. The main thing I don't like is all of those guy lines, compared to just two on the HH diamond, but that is the price of an 11 foot long rectangular and much more stable tarp I guess.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hooch:

Happy: I like skins, and use them on my HH hex. I always wrapped them and tucked them into the handy little pockets on the tie-out points--nothing to tangle, ever!

BillyBob: Glad you like your tarp. Good to hear about that Baker Hut config. Re: the skins, I keep only my tarp in the skins, so I can leave it "skinned" if I want, ready to deploy if needed. I actually pack my HH in the stuff sack, starting at one end like you suggest. I have (had--switched to whoopie slings last night) a different colored biner on the web suspension to identify the foot end. I may use that system on this tarp instead of the skins since switching configurations would make the skins more trouble than they'd be worth. One thought: I'll probably only use this tarp when weather is expected to be pretty bad/cold, and in that case I won't likely leave it in the skins, anyway.

I also wonder if adding a tie-out just back from each corner with the tarp in the 11' ridgeline orientation would accomplish my goal while making EVERYTHING much easier. I may try that with some grip-clips that are on order.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions! If anyone has other thoughts, feel free to shoot them my way!
    --Scott <><

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I also wonder if adding a tie-out just back from each corner with the tarp in the 11' ridgeline orientation would accomplish my goal while making EVERYTHING much easier. I may try that with some grip-clips that are on order.
    thought of that too...imo, not as easy as you'd initially think.
    The tarp is slightly cat cut between the existing tie-outs. adding some might work but they would be in the middle of the cat cut.
    Try it and report back!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast