Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    The vast majority of topquilts sold are snap and cinch footboxes. The numbers don't lie. As far as the guy who said his feet kept falling out of a snapped footbox, really? If thats the case, I'm sure you hit the ground at least once a night.
    I think that is a relic of groundsleepers. Snap and cinch makes sense when you want to spread the quilt out for groundsleeping or to use the quilt on a bed. For me, it just doesn't make sense. I've heard some say that they have had issue venting sewn footboxes, but I've never had that problem. I'll take my 0*, my 20* or my 40* TQ, and I've never vented any of them. Even when the overnight low was 70* F, and I was using my 40* TQ, I hardly ever got hot (down doesn't work that way for me). If I ever did get hot, I would just kick off the TQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think that is a relic of groundsleepers. Snap and cinch makes sense when you want to spread the quilt out for groundsleeping or to use the quilt on a bed. For me, it just doesn't make sense. I've heard some say that they have had issue venting sewn footboxes, but I've never had that problem. I'll take my 0*, my 20* or my 40* TQ, and I've never vented any of them. Even when the overnight low was 70* F, and I was using my 40* TQ, I hardly ever got hot (down doesn't work that way for me). If I ever did get hot, I would just kick off the TQ.
    I would say just the opposite! The insulated sewn footbox is a relec from the sleeping bag days. It's not needed for hammocking. Just extra weight and cost.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I agree. Take the socks off if it's warm. I sleep indoors where it's 70° with a 40° quilt. Beyond that, I don't want to be out in that heat anyway!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    70* in the house with the 40* is my problem and why I am looking for a 50*. Outside too at 70* with the 40* quilt, I too kick it off. Not so good when you have set up in the rain and the ground under the hammock is wet and your quilt is hanging off the side.

Sleeping with my feet under (rather than in) the top quilt puts double the insulation over my feets and lower legs and gets drafty around the sides at times. It also means my foot pad (as I am using a Phoenix underquilt) means it moves all around in the hammock. If I take the foot pad out of the 40* and have my feet in the quilt, the bottoms of my feet/lower legs get chilled at 70* due to that whole crushing of the down phenomenon. I think synthetic insulation would work better, but then there is the weight, lack of compressibility for packing (that actually helps in this scenario), and I find down gives me a larger comfort range than synthetics.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Just used my new 20 burrow with sewn/wide options last night and it was Jim Dandy!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by southernwonton View Post
    Just used my new 20 burrow with sewn/wide options last night and it was Jim Dandy!
    Glad to hear it! I love my Burrow 20 in M50. Light and warm.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I went with the simple philosophy. 40* or higher snaps, below 40* sewn.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    diy multicam+5 others
    Tarp
    warbonnet edge
    Insulation
    downny
    Suspension
    stuff and things
    UGQ flight jacket 50. I like to lay it out as a throw so......... if a colder weather quilt sew for sure

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckles
    After reading this thread, I must be a freak with my Burrow "10"(extra down) wide with snaps...no problems so far and I like the versatility. I only keep it snapped in 35 degrees or less. I actually find the worst thing about snapped footbox is while its unsnapped I have a harder time tucking it under my feet because I have nothing to "pull down" with so I will keep the very last snap closed to hook it around my feet. My main points for my choices are my shoulders, the availability to use it as a down comforter for 2 people on the ground and I like having lots of down to bury myself in while in my hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123