Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks

Top quilt foot box: sewn closed, snap, or sewn and strung?

I am looking forward to a 50° Burrow and am looking for input on your favorite way to deal with the foot end. I have a 20° and 40° Burrows and both have sewn and closed foot boxes. I have 20° and 40° Phoenix underquilts for bottom insulation and use a CCF pad for the lower legs and feet.

The quilt will be used in GA, in the summer, and when hammocking indoors at my place, or at a friend’s/family’s house on weekend visits (on the floor as spare beds or anchor points are not always available).

Sewn Closed
    Pros: No drafts; CCF foot pad stays in place; no moving parts (zippers, snaps, drawstrings) to malfunction.

Cons: When it is warmer out, the quilt is hard to vent; can’t open it up; it takes effort to pull legs out when it gets too warm and then they get cold and have to be stuck back in.

Snap Close
    I have no experience with the snap close.

Pros:
    Can open the foot box for better ventilation or for use in blanket mode.

Cons:
    In cooler than expected weather it could be drafty.
    Cold snaps under your legs, can’t completely close the end of the foot box
    When opened up, no way to keep the CCF pad from wondering around.

Sewn and strung
    I have read about this option (not on the Hammock Gear website checklist so would be a custom quilt). The idea is to sew up the back like with the closed foot box and have a draw string at the end to close it down when it is cold out decreasing the venting.

Pros:
    Stays around your feet, but able to vent
    Should keep the CCF pad in place.

Cons:
    Can’t open the back for blanket mode.
    Still can’t close the end down all the way.

Question:
    What would you prefer in a 50° quilt given your experience and why?
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have a 50º UGQ with Snaps and Draw String; along with a 20º Burrow with Sewn Footbox. I wouldn't do it any other way. Your pros and cons are great but bottom line, I didn't want any draft with the 20º and wanted as much versatility as possible for the 50º. Simple rule, Cold weather 20 and below go sewn. Warm weather 40 and up go Snaps. Since you asked

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Looks like one vote for the snap foot box on the 50. Anyone else have experience with this foot box?
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I don't really understand how people use an open quilt as a blanket in a hammock. The hammock is basically only as wide as you, so there is no lying it flat like on a bed. It's still all piled up on top of you.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I thought I'd like the snaps so I could use it like a blanket in the hammock, but I've always ended up just closing up the footbox anyways, regardless of the temperature.

It is nice for using the quilt in the car or something on the way to and from trips. Or for travel where you need to take a cover with you.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    I am not pleased with the way snaps come unsnapped during the tossing/turning of sleep.
    I prefer the ribbons that I can tie together like shoelaces. Been much more successful that way.
    Last edited by Tumbleweed; 11-18-2015 at 13:58. Reason: typo

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    My only issue with the drawn footbox (snaps, zipper, velcro, etc.) is that given a little pressure from pulling the quilt snug on you, the cinched draw cord can release. Had this happen on a winter TQ creating drafts. I've got a 50 TQ that is the same (zipper) and I don't have the same issue, I think mostly because I'm not as inclined to snug it up on me.

I personally prefer a sewn footbox because I find that when I get in the quilt, I use the pressure of putting my feet into the bottom to gauge how its fitting and make sure I have it right before cinching up the neck and tucking. Its just easier not to have to worry about pushing too hard with your feet and having the redo the cinch cord. But for a 50 quilt, I wouldn't pay extra to have it sewn.

I don't agree with the venting issue with the sewn footbox. Venting is foot in or out, doesn't matter what style footbox.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I have two topquilts with snaps, a 20 degree and 40 degree and have never had an issue with drafts or the snaps coming undone during the night. When I lay in my hammock my feet gently touch the footbox of my Blackbird XLC. In cold weather this area is covered by my Incubator underquilt so I don't see how drafts are possible. I like the snaps since I can undo in warm weather to vent.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    On my Enlightened Equipment TQ it zips up and has a snap closure over top of the zipper so it won't come back open. I have used this when it was in the 40's and needed to vent and was very thankful I could undo the draw strings and let some heat out.
    On the flip side the last time I was out and it was 29 degrees I couldn't pull the draw strings tight enough to keep out the drafts (I went tarpless and woke up covered in frost).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have three topquilts, all with sewn footbox. Frankly, I don't understand why people would even consider anything else.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast