View Poll Results: What type of Suspension do you use?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Webbing

116 51.33%
  • Line and Straps

25 11.06%
  • Whoppie Sling

78 34.51%
  • Other

7 3.10%
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks for the explanations.

I guess I'm just going to have to wait and see. A lot of my confusion may be coming from the fact that I very rarely have problems loosening my webbing. It's happened a few times (usually with the tri-rings), but by no means a regular issue. It will be interesting to compare the two side by side with a timer. I'll put Genuine Draft in the Whoopie rig and I'll use the rings and webbing. My big butt is more likely to 'bend' the webbing around the rings. It should be a fair contest as long as I spend some time playing with the Whoopies before heading out to test.

I am looking forward to it with my usual glee.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    OK, no experience with the Whoopie Slings yet; maybe by next week. But, how are they quicker to set if you are still making use of a tree hugger of sorts? From watching the videos, I don't see how the adjustments are any easier and they certainly aren't any quicker than tying a back-up knot. I'll give you the weight and, to a degree, some style points. But, otherwise I don't see the benefit. In fact, I agree with WBG that the odds of leaving the tree huggers just about outweigh any ounces saved.

Again, I haven't tried them yet, just followed the threads and watched a couple of videos so I'll admit 'user ignorance'. I'm just not seeing it.
    Cannibal, I am ahead of you with experience in a hammock related "skill"! ( I had to say that fast while it was still true! Never got the chance before ) I am now an experienced Whoopie man! That is, if you will count all of 2 hours back yard use as experience. Remember that pic yesterday of me sitting in the BMBH by my grandsons bicycle? Now that same pic would have black webbing replaced with gray Amsteel. Whoopie!

But I know what you are saying. Weight and bulk would seem to be the main thing. In the field I am going to have to see IF dealing with a hugger and toggle( whether a tarp stake or stick?) is enough of a disadvantage to nudge the over all experience back towards no better than a webbing, cinch buckle and biner. Right now it is set up on a hammock stand and I can't really tell by that.

But Tee Dee makes some good points about cold hands and such based on his experience. Some times the triangle rings can be a bit tricky to loosen up, and triglides even worse, though mostly they are pretty smooth.

But wrapping a long piece of webbing around even a large tree and clipping on a biner and then tightening up is a convenience that has to be hard to beat. Though, weight and bulk come back into the competition. It looks like my whoopie rope is about an oz on each end, and very little bulk. My webbing, rings and biner looks like it is running 4-6 oz per end. Call it 5. So 4 oz per end net dif for 8 oz total. Not inconsiderable for the gram weenies out there, even if it turns out to not be quite as convenient dealing with the hugger/toggle.

But some users of both seem to think it is as easy and maybe even easier over all. We will see! In the mean time, it is a fun change and some weight savings.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I've found that a bit of shock cord that is tied to the bitter end and hitched to the suspension rope works well too. It's a bit more proactive pulling on the UCR in the opposite direction than just trying to create some drag.
    Same here. I prusik an elastic ponytail band to the static line and then lark's head it to the end of the constrictor. I've never had that UCR configuration slip, but I'm careful to check each constrictor before getting in the hammock. Works for me, though I'm not evangelistic about it. Different things matter to different people.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Got my 100' of amsteel yesterday and have made two sets of WS. Gave some to Hangin' Burrito this afternoon - Will be ordering more tomorrow just to play !!!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    As RF said, he gave me some Amsteel (orange 7/64) and showed me how to make the WS, and it's great!

I want to know how to ditch ALL my other suspension to get a "no hardware" system on my ENO hammock. Right now I've got a big climbing biner through the channel on the hammock, which attaches to SMC rings, to Speer 1" polypro webbing that goes around the tree to a Dutch clip.

I'd still like to keep the Dutch clip though.

Pictures of a no hardware setup would be great for me to see, if someone's got them on their setup.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I'm most of the way done with retrofitting all my hammocks with the whoopie slings now. But I had a LOT fewer to do than Cannibal will! :-)

The elegance and simplicity of a no-hardware setup is very nice. And compared to the webbing suspension option, there is no detectable stretch. And no slippage at all. All you need is a tree strap with a loop on one end to thread it through when hanging your straps, no need for a biner or Dutch clip.

OK, I did get a little nervous at first about the toggle, and whether the whoopie loop would slip off. You do need to verify it is seated properly when the hammock is unweighted before sitting down. Once I load it up with the weight of my quilts that keeps it seated pretty well.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    As RF said, he gave me some Amsteel (orange 7/64) and showed me how to make the WS, and it's great!

I want to know how to ditch ALL my other suspension to get a "no hardware" system on my ENO hammock. Right now I've got a big climbing biner through the channel on the hammock, which attaches to SMC rings, to Speer 1" polypro webbing that goes around the tree to a Dutch clip.

I'd still like to keep the Dutch clip though.

Pictures of a no hardware setup would be great for me to see, if someone's got them on their setup.
    I ditched the suspension on all 3 of my hammocks and outfitted them with Whoopie Slings. Super easy to do. And I definitely kept my Dutch Clips!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    I'm most of the way done with retrofitting all my hammocks with the whoopie slings now. But I had a LOT fewer to do than Cannibal will! :-)

The elegance and simplicity of a no-hardware setup is very nice. And compared to the webbing suspension option, there is no detectable stretch. And no slippage at all. All you need is a tree strap with a loop on one end to thread it through when hanging your straps, no need for a biner or Dutch clip.

OK, I did get a little nervous at first about the toggle, and whether the whoopie loop would slip off. You do need to verify it is seated properly when the hammock is unweighted before sitting down. Once I load it up with the weight of my quilts that keeps it seated pretty well.
    I suppose it is not actually ZERO hardware, if you count whatever you might use for the toggle, as minimal as that can be ( a single tent stake?). But what about using a stick? Just how stout does that need to be? Wouldn't it have to be pretty stout considering it is supporting your body weight?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I suppose it is not actually ZERO hardware, if you count whatever you might use for the toggle, as minimal as that can be ( a single tent stake?). But what about using a stick? Just how stout does that need to be? Wouldn't it have to be pretty stout considering it is supporting your body weight?
    The toggle doesn't take the force of the weight/hang. that is applied directly to the webbing. The toggle is the facilitator that holds the webbing in place in order for it to take the weight. Currently, I use wooden dowels for my toggles, but looking to go much smaller/lighter. A round tent/tarp stake works fine as a toggle, no problem at all.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Trail sticks work fine. I look for ones about 1/2" in diameter. It's not taking anywhere near the weight on the suspension. The loop of the suspension cord is on the webbing, the webbing compresses around the stick but the webbing is wide and so such force as there is becomes diffused.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast