Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Hey Grillmastertoo,
    Thanks!

I am using one of the Sportsman 12 X12 Tarps talked about here on other threads.
    They worked very well together. I only did a minimalist setup last night because it was getting late and I just wanted to get in, out of the cold.
    If I get back home before dark I will shoot some pictures of them together.

Cheers,
    Darrel

Hammock
    switchback
    Does anyone know how the WB superfly will work with the switchback? Or are there certain tarps that are better designed to work with the switchback?
    Im getting excited about the comments and reviews on this hammock...

Hammock
    Switchback & WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillmastertoo View Post
    Does anyone know how the WB superfly will work with the switchback? Or are there certain tarps that are better designed to work with the switchback?
    Im getting excited about the comments and reviews on this hammock...

It is my understanding that the makers of the Switchback will also be offering a Tarp and UQ 's specifically designed to compliment their Hammock line.
    The Tarp prototype has been seen by some here but I personally cannot give you any specifics on it.

I would imagine that any tarp with about an 11 foot ridge line (minimum) length could be used however. The spreader bars can be used or not and so the width of this hammock should be similar to any of the other popular hammocks out there.

I suspect to see much more interest in this new design once the words gets out and more folks get to see one in person.
    I got lucky and my leap of faith has been well rewarded. I had not seen one prior to ordering mine.

Cheers,
    Darrel

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I'd like to compare one of these to my WBBB, but honestly I'm so happy with the blackbird that I don't see myself spending the money just to try something out. Really really looking forward to the first side-by-side comparo against the warbonnet.

Also wondering how long it'll be before someone adds a structural ridgeline

Hammock
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Hey Mustardman,
    I sold my Black Bird to purchase the Switchback.
    For me, the Switchback is a better Hammock. Please note that I prefaced that statement with "For me".

Hammocks like any other piece of kit are very personal things.
    My wife has a Blackbird and so far thinks she will keep hers.
    She wants to sleep a few nights in mine before making a decision to sell or keep her Black Bird.

I personally see no need for a structural ridge line. I modified my Black Bird so that I could easily and quickly remove it for times when I used it as a seat/ lounger and did not want it in my way.

The Switchback has in integral ridge line that is way up out of the way and is useful for hanging things on. Last night I hung a micro LED Light from it.

It is non structural but appears to be made of a fairly robust cord. I feel no need to remove it as it never gets in the way when entering or exiting the SB.

Cheers,
    Darrel

Hammock
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Tonight is supposed to get pretty cold again.
    Looking for nighttime lows of around 27 or so.

Clear skies with no cloud cover. Should be beautiful.
    My wife made me a Marino Wool Buff for tonight and I have a few other ideas in mind to deal with the back sweating issue.

It's already dark here so no pictures tonight.
    I will post more updates as I get more nights in the Switchback, So far I am impressed.... But you all knew that .

Cheers,
    Darrel

Hammock
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    Last night was beautiful but colder than the night before. We got well into the 20's and it was a cloudless sky.
    The homemade Marino wool Buff really made a huge difference. My face stayed nice and warm yet I could still breath easily.

Before I settled in for the night I readjusted the Hammock up higher a couple inches . This, I suspect was the total amount of initial stretch in the hammock and web based suspension. This morning it felt as if everything stayed exactly where I set it . I swung my legs over the edge and landed right in my crocks .

I did use the slipped 1/2 hitch behind the rings to be more confident of not ending up resting on the ground by morning.

This Hammock is very comfortable with countless sweet spots. I can orient my feet to the left or right without consideration. I can slide up or down several inches and still maintain a flat lay.
    I like the dual / entry exit potential from having two side zippers.
    I can well imagine this coming in handy when my wife and I hang close together.
    We can hang very close, share basic contact and yet still have a rear exit that can be used for Bio-breaks without disturbing the other .
    I am slowly convincing her to consider getting herself a Switchback. The features, creature comforts and flexibility are compelling.

I had to get into work early today so I still don't have any pictures for ya.
    I will get them posted soon.
    Tonight is supposed to be similar with lows into the mid 20's, clear with light wind. I think I will sleep out one more night and then wait for the rain/snow due here in a few days to test the tarp.
    Till then....

Cheers,
    Darrel

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    hmmmm this might overcome my concerns about sleeping with head right/feet left and the WBBB foot box I outlined in another thread.

All the talk about making spreader bars and dowels and ferrules was confusing. Hope there will be something ready-made.

Is there a way to use the loops for the spreader bars to convert the Switchback to a tent?

sandy in miami

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    hmmmm this might overcome my concerns about sleeping with head right/feet left and the WBBB foot box I outlined in another thread.
    It was already pointed out that you can order a "flipped" version of the blackbird, with the foot box on the left, and the entrance opening on the right.

The switchback has several features that are different from the Blackbird, and if those appeal to you, get the hammock you want, but the head left / feet right issue is not an issue AT ALL if you order the correct version of the blackbird.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12x12 sportsman
    Insulation
    CCf
    Suspension
    Web W/ Dutch clips
    I have had to temporarily suspend testing as the nighttime temperatures here in Michigan have slipped below the comfort range of my current gear.
    I did spend several more nights in the Switchback and definitely like it.

Yes, on ordering a flipped BlackBird. I ordered one of each configuration.
    With the switchbacks however, you can decide to switch orientation throughout the night.
    You could start with the feet to the left and then later switch them over to the right side if so desired. I tend to shift around from hang to hang and really like not being locked into any one configuration.

Nice not to have to be concerned with head end, foot end during setup.

My wife prefers her Blackbird. It fits her well and she tends to sleep in more or less the same orientation every night.

Side by side, the construction on the Switchback is noticeably more robust . Straps, zippers etc. are all beefier .
    This is not to suggest that the Blackbirds are sub standard which they are not. The Switchback designers simply wanted a more bulletproof design. Both should last a long time with typical care.
    Both are great products and I could strongly recommend either.

Cheers,
    Darrel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast