WBRR & inflatable pads: Prolite Plus vs NeoAir XLite vs Trekker...size LONG.

Seriously considering WBRR Double purchase pending black Friday, aversion to the color brown...and custom camo rumors..plus wishing for tropical jungle friendly color option.

Has anyone compared Prolite Plus vs NeoAirs (size long) in a WBRR Double ?

I am leaning towards Prolite Plus Long due to familiarity, laziness, foam core comfort...and reviews suggesting NeoAirs lack horizontal rigidity to tame shoulder squeeze. I am tall and skinny...

Any Prolite Plus hangers out there?
    I am curious if anyone made the switch from Prolite Plus to Xlite, because new & different may be lighter and better...or not.

I will be using this setup to hang in Hawaii with lightweight sleeping bag, so thinking warmer pad = less need for upper insulation.

Thanks,

Steve

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Can't comment on the xite but the xtherm will actually help your shoulder squeeze. You will lay higher up from the bottom of the hammock and the extra inches gives you a quite a bit more room. No problem at all with horizontal rigidity as the pad hold its shape quite well in the RR. It was my understanding that the Prolite wouldn't keep its flat shape but not having used one, I can't really say for sure. I really like the Xtherm in mine.

I had to use a shelter once or twice and the xtherm is the better ground pad IMHO.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    There's a lot of pads; which one(s) are best in the RR is pretty subjective. I think you want to get a long / wide model. I agree with Tramos that a good pad puts you up a little higher, giving you more width and a better view. Too high, though, can make a hammock tippy for some people; this may depend on how a pad works for you when its just partially inflated (as well as how thick it is). Pads vary a lot -- like noisiness, staying flat, ease of inflation/deflation or fine adjustments, warmth and weight, etc. If you can try some pads out, borrowing a friend's or at a hang (even for a few minutes), that'll give you a sense of how each feels for you. I like the Sea to Summit ones, but can't comment on the pads you mention.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Supafly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    I use the Big Agnes Sand Mountain and am quite comfortable and you can pick them up around $50.

Hammock
    WB BB-lefty-xlc & BB-normal
    Tarp
    WB Superfly,
    Insulation
    EE-Top,Yeti-Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie/Clip
    My wife and I started hammock backpacking this summer and really struggled with the sleeping pad idea. We both have DL blackbirds (one xlc) and we could not get comfortable with pads. Seemed like we were wrestling all night getting the pads positioned right. Plus they were not that warm. We tried a Big agnes pad from REI, an older thermarest foam core air and wally world blue foam. None seemed to work that well. I guess if you never move at night it would be ok. We finally brought the big agnes pads back to REI and got yeti underquilts from Brandon. Best move ever! All wrestling gone. Warm and toasty all night with no cold spots. If you are investing in new pads for hammocking only (dual use with tent changes things) it seems most end up with underquilts in the long run. We did.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
    My wife and I started hammock backpacking this summer and really struggled with the sleeping pad idea. We both have DL blackbirds (one xlc) and we could not get comfortable with pads. Seemed like we were wrestling all night getting the pads positioned right. Plus they were not that warm. We tried a Big agnes pad from REI, an older thermarest foam core air and wally world blue foam. None seemed to work that well. I guess if you never move at night it would be ok. We finally brought the big agnes pads back to REI and got yeti underquilts from Brandon. Best move ever! All wrestling gone. Warm and toasty all night with no cold spots. If you are investing in new pads for hammocking only (dual use with tent changes things) it seems most end up with underquilts in the long run. We did.
    Yes but he is talking about the ridge runner which most people find is more comfortable with a pad. Being a bridge hammock the pad doesn't move around

Hammock
    WB BB-lefty-xlc & BB-normal
    Tarp
    WB Superfly,
    Insulation
    EE-Top,Yeti-Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie/Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by biggy View Post
    Yes but he is talking about the ridge runner which most people find is more comfortable with a pad. Being a bridge hammock the pad doesn't move around
    Ahhh...didn't see the WBRR...my bad! No experience with bridge hammocks....

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    most people find is more comfortable with a pad
    The Terminator prefers her FL UQ for her RR. We both tried pads on our BB's when we started and switched to UQs as fast as we could. It did take me 5 years to get her to give up her sleeping bag and go with a TQ. You will find that most people ( not all ) find UQs far more comfortable to use than pads in their hammocks.

Depending on the elevation you are using your rig at you may find you need more insulation if you are camping high up in the mountains. Yes I know its Hawaii ( I was stationed there for 4+ years ) but it can still get cold.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    Costco DYI quilts
    Suspension
    Amsteel Blue UCR
    Images
    Haven't used it in a bridge hammock but I'm very happy with the prolite long (I'm 6'2") in my gathered end. The bottom has some grip so it doesn't slide around in my hammock. The top is comfortable to me. It's also relatively quiet when moving around.

We have one guy who is on his 3rd pad because he keeps buying noisy ones (even after testing in the store!).

• + New Posts