Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images

Foyle stuffing amounts

I just got my 3-season Foyle shell from Underquilts.com - have to say, the Argon fabric is mad soft! It's too bad the fancy fabrics aren't offered anymore. I promise to be careful and patient when storing it, Lost!

Anyway, I'm looking for some reviews on the amount of insulation suggested on the site. I ordered the Wilderness Logics down (pre-weighed bags down to 1/2 ounce, what!??), and so far plan to add 7 ounces of the fluffy stuff. According to the chart on the site, this should provide me with a bit of overstuff.

So, my question for you Underquilts.com vets, will that really be enough to satisfy my lust for down? I know, I know, "everyone is different" and "you'll just have to test it out for yourself." But, if you've made one of these bad boys, what was your experience like? Did you go by the chart? Was the suggested amount enough, or did you find yourself adding more to the mix? Looking to learn from experience here before let the thread injector start poking holes in my fancy new fabric.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I completed two Foyle underquilts, one for me and one for my son. I love them!

My down source was a old Thaw sleeping bag I bought on EBay for $55. I harvested 31 ounces of goose down from the bag. One sample calculated out at 750-800 fp, but I assumed it to be on the lower end. I wanted to make sure both quilts had about 2" of loft so we would be good down to at least 30 degrees.

The Foyle has 9 baffles if I recall correctly. The two outer baffles were slightly narrower than the other 7.

I started with about 30 grams (about 1 ounce) of fill per baffle. The two outer baffles were the loft I was seeking. I ended up adding a little extra to the 7 interior baffles (I believe it was another 10 grams in each). I think I achieved nearly 2 inches throughout the quilts.

The remaining down was added to two Walmart Ozark down bags to make 30- degree top quilts.

We took the new set ups to the Sipsey Wilderness the Friday after Thanksgiving, and the low temp hit about 30 degrees according to my small thermometer. The Foyles did great. My son slept through the night. I noticed one cool spot at 4:30 (when I checked the temp). Tucked a beanie under that spot and went back to sleep. I woke up again around 7:30.

Living in Alabama, these should suit us very well. A great product and great service!

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386957971.188258.jpg

Here is a photo were I was testing my new Foyle underquilt.

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I too have been debating on how much downy goodness to stuff into the foyle. I am so use to bulky and heavy gear that 7oz just seems silly, but looking at the charts, 9oz of 850+ is overkill.

Does anyone have any experiences to add based on the amount of down used?
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by overthinker View Post
    I just got my 3-season Foyle shell from Underquilts.com - have to say, the Argon fabric is mad soft! It's too bad the fancy fabrics aren't offered anymore. I promise to be careful and patient when storing it, Lost!

Anyway, I'm looking for some reviews on the amount of insulation suggested on the site. I ordered the Wilderness Logics down (pre-weighed bags down to 1/2 ounce, what!??), and so far plan to add 7 ounces of the fluffy stuff. According to the chart on the site, this should provide me with a bit of overstuff.

So, my question for you Underquilts.com vets, will that really be enough to satisfy my lust for down? I know, I know, "everyone is different" and "you'll just have to test it out for yourself." But, if you've made one of these bad boys, what was your experience like? Did you go by the chart? Was the suggested amount enough, or did you find yourself adding more to the mix? Looking to learn from experience here before let the thread injector start poking holes in my fancy new fabric.

We went with the full length lewis and did the overfill up to the limit of what the web site said to do and as we were doing it i kept saying to my wife, are you sure? do you think this is really enough? and then i contacted Dave (Lost_biker) over at Underquilts.com and he assured me that it was the right amount and explained the need for the down to have room to fluff (loft) and so that is what we did, I have had it down to 18 degrees so far and have been warm with no issues, that is also one of the nicer things about the draft collars, ,in the fall it only got down to 34 degrees and i was so warm that i had to loosen it up and vent it alittle, and i was in a long sleve shirt and a pair of shorts .. IMO, Trust the chart!! He knows what he is doing i think your over thinking again ..lol
    Last edited by Zilla; 01-21-2014 at 12:41.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, WWM
    Tarp
    HG, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, Foyle
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    7 oz of down from Wilderness Logics has worked well for me. I have tested the quilt to 20* with no problems. I only plan to use it down to 35 or so and switch to a full length 0* UQ for colder temps. Nice to know that in a pinch it will work at colder temps.

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Thanks, Zilla and Rockcreek!

I will trust the chart and go with a little less than 1oz per main 7 baffles and 3/4oz in the smaller side baffles.

Thanks again.
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have a Foyle on order now and have about decided to order 9 - 1 oz bags from Wilderness Logics. I am sure 7 would be enough but the simplicity of 1 bag per chamber is driving my decision.

I have a 0 deg Lewis and a 3 season Barnaby I stuffed myself. Both are somewhat overstuffed. I have no doubt I can sleep comfortably in these at 0 deg with my 4 season tarp pulled down and a 2QZQ breathable UQP.

A couple of oz over stuff on the Foyle should do me to around 15. I like that reassurance!

Pappy

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    I have a Foyle on order now and have about decided to order 9 - 1 oz bags from Wilderness Logics. I am sure 7 would be enough but the simplicity of 1 bag per chamber is driving my decision.

I have a 0 deg Lewis and a 3 season Barnaby I stuffed myself. Both are somewhat overstuffed. I have no doubt I can sleep comfortably in these at 0 deg with my 4 season tarp pulled down and a 2QZQ breathable UQP.

A couple of oz over stuff on the Foyle should do me to around 15. I like that reassurance!

Pappy
    I agree, and you have good taste in gear Peggy!! ever since my first order with Dave i have decided to stick with his products, the craftmanship is top of the line and Dave is great to work with

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    I went with lots of overstuff - 10 ounces total in the quilt. I know, "way overboard", but hear me out.

I initially filled with 7 ounces, which should have come out to about 10% overstuff. No matter how much I shook the thing, the insulation seemed thin and there were parts of baffles that were simply empty. Then I started looking at other 3/4 and 1/2 length quilts, which led me to believe that the chart on the website are mathematically correct but may not actually be functionally correct.

For example, the 3/4 UQ on the Wilderness Logics site, which is where I bought my down, is stuffed with 9 oz. This quilt is also 2 inches narrower and 5 inches shorter than the Foyle, and is taper cut to boot. The Hammock Gear Phoenix 20 is an inch narrower and 8 inches shorter, and is stuffed with 8 ounces of 850 fill.

So, while I now have a heavier quilt that I imagined I would, I feel pretty secure in knowing that I won't have any cold spots creeping in on me while I'm sleeping. This is also one of the main advantages of DIY projects - you can always change things if you think you need to!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast