Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

What's wrong with whoopie slings?

No really....I'm about to order everything I need to put whoopie slings on my ENO. I've heard nothing but praise for this set up and I wanted to see if they have any negative points? Too light...too simple...well I doubt anyone would mention those points. Just wanted to see if there are any downsides to the whoopie sling set up.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    It's more of a quibble than a disadvantage, but this is why I don't use them on my Amsteel suspension: Most people seem to put the bury as close to the hammock end of the suspension as possible. That allows them to hang between two closely spaced trees. Now suppose you want your whoopie suspension to have a maximum span of 6 feet on either side (just an example). To accomplish that, you'd need 12+ feet of rope on each side, because the rope doubles back to the bury near the hammock. There are non-whoopie setups that require less rope for a given span. An extra few feet of Amsteel won't add much weight, but might be a little more tangly. It's really not a big deal, but it's the only drawback that occurs to me.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    It's a personal preference thing, of course, but that's one of the reasons I settled on the (arguably finicky) UCRs instead of whoopie slings. The longer bury of the UCR doesn't extend the minimum tree spacing that much, if at all, given the space you'd need anyway for the tarp. Results in about 6 feet less loose line to secure in vm's example, but it does demand some attention in use. YMMV
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Images
    i don't have anything against whoopies at all, but it's heavier than a regular line/tree strap setup, which is about as quick if you take the time to learn the appropriate knots. like a tree strap setup, you have seperate pieces to the suspension, so it is possible to forget and leave camp with your straps still hanging on the tree, wheras a ringbuckle susp. is all one piece so you can't do this, that fact probably makes a ringbuckle setup faster overall as well.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've got another question that I didn't want to start a new thread on. I'm getting together my supplies for the whoopie sling and I need to get 6-8ft tree huggers. I seem to remember a thread that breaks down the different websites tree huggers, by cost and weight. I can't seem to locate that thread. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i don't have anything against whoopies at all, but it's heavier than a regular line/tree strap setup, which is about as quick if you take the time to learn the appropriate knots. like a tree strap setup, you have seperate pieces to the suspension, so it is possible to forget and leave camp with your straps still hanging on the tree, wheras a ringbuckle susp. is all one piece so you can't do this, that fact probably makes a ringbuckle setup faster overall as well.
    Ive been known to "forget" things departing camp.. shovels, flashlights...

My straps are orange for the simple reason: so I wont forget them.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've got another question that I didn't want to start a new thread on. I'm getting together my supplies for the whoopie sling and I need to get 6-8ft tree huggers. I seem to remember a thread that breaks down the different websites tree huggers, by cost and weight. I can't seem to locate that thread. Can someone point me in the right direction please.
    I think youll find strapworks.com to be highly recommended. Ive placed several orders and shipping is prompt.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    It's more of a quibble than a disadvantage, but this is why I don't use them on my Amsteel suspension: Most people seem to put the bury as close to the hammock end of the suspension as possible. That allows them to hang between two closely spaced trees. Now suppose you want your whoopie suspension to have a maximum span of 6 feet on either side (just an example). To accomplish that, you'd need 12+ feet of rope on each side, because the rope doubles back to the bury near the hammock. There are non-whoopie setups that require less rope for a given span. An extra few feet of Amsteel won't add much weight, but might be a little more tangly. It's really not a big deal, but it's the only drawback that occurs to me.
    I solved the tangle problem by using rubber bands to wrap up the extra line once im done adjusting the hammock. I have 8 feet of adjustability(16 foot total amsteel used for each sling) from each whoppie sling on the either isde of the hammock + 8(4 foot hugger on each tree) feet total from huggers. I try to maximize the sling and minimize the hugger. This gives me about 25 feet of span to hang. I prefer not to carry amsteel extensions with fixed eyes on each end (angrysparrow has done a good job with this), just easier for me to control the excess dangling amsteel with a rubberband, either method is great, hyoh.

go with the 7/64 amsteel, lighter, plenty strong.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    So looking at the strap works site is this what I'm after Strapworks Simple Sling 1in Polyester Webbing. It doesn't say tree huggers but I assume this is what everyone is using. Is 1" wide enough? 1.5" seems like it would be overkill. I was thinking about getting 8' each as we have some very wide trees and some that are far apart. I was thinking of 10ft of amsteel on each side.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Yes, simple sling. 1" wide is enough. 2" loop seems to work.

Length is up to you based on the average diameter of the trees in your area. I have a set of 6' and a set of 12'. But I car/expedition camp. So carrying is of no consequence.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast