Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

I'm back (kinda long)

Howdy all y'all,

I'm back. I was last here in 2008 and you all generously answered all my newbie questions then. At the time I'd just purchased a Hennessy Asym and promptly smacked right into the learning curve. I turned here for advice. As it turns out, I decided the Hennessy and I weren't made for one another and I sold it on eBay. I hope it has a better home now. But what made a lasting impression was how nice and helpful everyone on this forum was to me despite my stoopid questions. Thank you.

In retrospect, I should've turned here first, and then bought the hammock after doing my homework. That's why I'm back now -- so I don't repeat the same expensive mistake twice.

Originally, like a lot of older backpackers, I turned to hammocks because pounding the ground just hurts too much. I made the conversion to ultralight gear years ago because it became increasingly more difficult and painful to haul all that weight. (I started backpacking 1986 with a Diamondback external frame when 40-60 pound loads were the norm.) So, with the initial launch failure of my first foray into the hammock world, I reluctantly put away my pack and resigned myself to car-camping and day hikes.

On a whim, I went backpacking again a couple of weeks ago when I was invited to go along with some younger folks. Just for an overnight. Seven miles in and out. I could suffer one night out on the ground for old time's sake, couldn't I?

On balance, it was a glorious trip! It was so good to be back in the woods! It reminded me why I'd been a backpacker all those years. But that was just about the most uncomfortable I'd been sleeping in all the years I've been backpacking. Woke up the next morning exhausted from all the tossing and turning, and aching all over. It's a good thing it was only a one-nighter. But being back in the woods was so sweet, I am compelled to not to give up this time. There must be a way to make this work. On the hike out, I replayed the night over and over in my head trying to figure out what would've made it better. I came up with two possible solutions: 1) Crazy thick, expensive, cushy air mattress and lots of pillows like I do at home. 2) Revisit hammocks.

The air mattress is on its way. And I hope it does the trick. But I have my doubts that any air mattress will make a night in the woods anything better than just bearable. (No pun intended.) I'd really like to enjoy it and sleep well. I'm so envious of Shug's videos when he talks about how great he slept in his hammock. I don't remember the last time I slept like that on or off the trail. (RIP Greenbean.)

So I'm back to dive into the forums, do my homework, and ask lots of stoopid questions.

Thanks,

Rod

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Welcome back,
    Your story sounds almost exactly like mine. I bought a hennessy in maybe 2005, hung in it a few nights and experienced CBS, then banished it to the back of the gear pile. Fast forward to about 2008 and I met a through-hiker on the AT to had a zipper mod from 2QZQ (I never liked that bottom entry setup) and a mysterious device called an "Under-Quilt" to stave off the cold behind.

A bit of googling found me the forums and the rest is history. Yes, ask the questions and watch the videos. The best/worst thing about the forums is that the search engine STINKS and everyone speaks in 2 or 3 character acronyms (CBS, UQ, UQP, WBRR, HHEULA, etc). The search tool really doesn't like those either. Great thing is that you can search the site using google (put your search terms followed by site:hammockforums.net). Works like a charm.

In the last couple of years I've seen almost identical questions over and over and over again. Don't feel bad about asking them again. Luckily the answer changes a bit here and there as time goes on.

Cheers

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Welcome! A lot of us old farts around with similar issues. I started with a Hennessy years ago and did pads before this site was here. Why not start with telling us what was a problem with the Hennessy? There are a lot more options now that could help.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    A bit of googling found me the forums and the rest is history. Yes, ask the questions and watch the videos. The best/worst thing about the forums is that the search engine STINKS and everyone speaks in 2 or 3 character acronyms (CBS, UQ, UQP, WBRR, HHEULA, etc). The search tool really doesn't like those either. Great thing is that you can search the site using google (put your search terms followed by site:hammockforums.net). Works like a charm.
    That's helpful advice! Thank you. Yes, I'd already figured out the internal search engine was subpar. Didn't know about the Google option. Looking forward to trying that out. Might cut down the number of stoopid questions I'll have to ask. Thanks Zukiguy.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Welcome! A lot of us old farts around with similar issues. I started with a Hennessy years ago and did pads before this site was here. Why not start with telling us what was a problem with the Hennessy? There are a lot more options now that could help.

Thanks Nothemark! I was going to save my questions for other threads after a bit more searching. But yours is a good suggestion I will not pass on. The Hennessy Asym I had had three primary issues for me that I can recall:

1) Despite the asymmetrical shape and trying various degrees of diagonal positions, I never could get quite flat enough. I have an Eno hammock I use for naps in the backyard that I can achieve a somewhat flatter position in than I could in the Hennessy. Still, it isn't quite flat enough and after about 2 to 3 hours, my lower back starts hurting. In the Hennessy, my back started hurting in less than an hour. Although a newbie, I tried hanging the hammock in different areas between different trees with careful attention to ridge line tension, and experienced the same problem. So I suppose we could call this "lower back pain secondary to lack of flat hang." Or so I suspect.

2) Again, regardless of position, I always felt squeezed in the shoulders in the Hennessy. I don't feel squeezed in my Eno.

3) Lastly, and most likely due to user error, was, despite hanging a little higher than I thought I should, I would end up with my butt touching the ground at some point during the night. I started with the stock suspension system. I think I tried to make some adjustments per advice I received here on HF. But I wasn't successful.

Lastly, my dimensions: I'm 5'7", 190ish lbs and 44" in the shoulders. Yes, I could stand to go on a diet. I'm trying. But the lightest I've ever been as an adult was the day I graduated from basic training, and I was 160 then. I'm built like one of Tolkien's dwarves.

I've been in touch with Warbonnett about my first issue, and curious if a WBBB XLC might be a solution. They actually suggested a Ridgerunner instead. I hadn't considered that, but am. I don't know much about bridge hammocks other than they tend to be heavier. While I'm not the most strict ultralight backpacker out there, I do pay very close attention to my weight since my back will get uncooperative if I let my load creep up over 20 lbs. But, I'm willing to consider all the options at this point.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

PS: Scott Hetsko has a small following down here in Louisville, or as we call it, South Louischester. Hope he continues to do well and is back on WROC 8 soon.
    Last edited by Rod; 11-22-2015 at 11:36. Reason: Add PS

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    <snip>... Great thing is that you can search the site using google (put your search terms followed by site:hammockforums.net). Works like a charm. ...>snip>
    Cheers
    Thank you so much for this great how-to. This forum's internal search engine is about the worst I've encountered -- worthless and so frustrating, yet it does sometimes work passably. I was about to give up on it completely.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome back to the madness.

The Terminator and I have same problem in that sleeping on the ground is not comfortable anymore.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Attempt 1: 2.5 inch kealty pad - still sucks
    Attempt 2: expensive backpacking cot - better but still sucks
    Attempt 3: hammock - nice but not perfect - needs more fiddling but I'll never be back on the ground.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ &amp; UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    It seems like the ground just keeps getting further away every year. I'm a zealot for the Warbonnet Blackbird. I got mine in 2009 and have loved every second I've spent in it, well except when I broke a strap, that was a bad few seconds.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In the woods in my hammock is the only place I an snooze for 10 hours. A good walk in helps.
    Shug Van Winkle
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast