options: rainfly to be used eventually ( or neb)

options: rainfly to be used eventually ( or not)

Hi all

I was searching for a hammock for a very specific situation ( just take a small nap, ha!) and i think i found a good one thanks to other members advices, as seen here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ally-(-or-not)

Now that the hammock was choosen, i would like to pick a rain fly to make a pair and sleep in the shadow

but the rain fly, as the hammock, should fit some special, swat, black-ops, requirements:

1) it will be used during fishing trips to provide some shadow to take a nap. A nap that a i may i may not take. So its an luxury item. And i really dont want to carry anything heavy or bulky that may be not used at all. (Hey..its a fishing trip.. not a sleeping competition)

-So it should be a minimalist and cheap rain fly.
    Following the rule of price-weigth-durabilty ( pick any of 2) i must say I can live without some durability since it wont be used a lot anyway.
    But it must be compact (my backpack is already full) , lightweight ( grams make onces!!) and cheap (spent too much in a item that may be not used at all doesnt sound good to me)

2. I dislike the lack of protection of asyms. I also dislike the bulkness of rectangulars, 4 seasons, and hex/cat cuts too. I would like some shadow and some protection in case of rain.

-so I think a diamond shape would be a good choice to this mission since it offers lot of shadow and yet some rain protection just in case. And i seems to be easy to pitch too since i really dislike to deal with too much cord and stakes and adjustments.
    Diamonds seems to offer a easy pitch with good coverage.
    After all i want is a quick nap. No worries with cordage and stakes and adjusts.

3. I would prefer not to do it myself since i live in another country and theres importation taxes , duties and i will need to face it all again in case of construction mistakes.
    - so i would prefer to buy one ready to use.

4. My dutch hammock will be dark olive.
    - so, i will be glad if my rain fly match its color ( well.. as much as possible. .)

5. I will import my rainfly and my country currency is very undervaluated in front of USD.
    -So i would prefer to get a model that cost 50 bucks at the most, since it means a lot to me.

6. Given that specifications, i think i cannot request anything concerning its fabric...but i would like it wasnt a waly world blue tarp..lol..

Wel.. this is it.

Any hints about models?

In my immagination, i was looking for something small and lightweight, that lives on a small pouch of my backpack.
    So lightweight i doesnt mind to carry it around even when i dont plan to use it.

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by amayumi; 11-22-2015 at 16:15. Reason: Add info

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    The yukon outfiters walkabout rainfly might fit your bill. Diamond shape, you can pick them up cheap ( come up on whoot all the time for less than $50.00 ). I have used mine in some pretty heavy rains and stayed nice and dry. Comes in black and grey i think. Nice qaulity for the price. I made a double sided stuff sack for mine and it packs down to not muck larger than a good sized grapefruit ( in no see um snake skins as well). The sack it comes in is not to large just a pain to get it back in.
    It does weigh in at about a pound or so with tie out lines and a couple of stakes as well.
    All in all I've been pleased with mine as a starter tarp. It was what i could afford once i decided to jump into hammock camping. Considering the cost it's really a good tarp.
    I've seen good things posted about the Kelty Noahs tarps ( weight is an issue once again), or maybe the DD tarp ( don't think that one is a diamond shape though).

Hi kev!
    Thanks for the input! I will search about this!
    Thank you!!

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Superyfly - MJ
    Insulation
    Cave Creek TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    Ti Cinch
    Snugpak all weather shelter in olive color, I have two that I use when out and about in fair weather. Weight is around 2 pounds and a pretty nice tarp that packs well, bought mine on amazon for $45.00 USD

• + New Posts