Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images

Talking MYOG Update: I've Been Busy

So, it has been a while since I have posted anything about the gear I have made. Mostly, this is due to being tied up at work (the money-earning, desk-sitting, type). Partially, it is due to being busy actually making a bunch of gear.

Since 90% of what I have made was made possible by what I have learned through this forum, I figured I would share. Plus, I always love seeing what other people come up with, looking at pictures, and coming up with my own ideas for projects. So here is a quick-ish run-down.

Hammocks:
    -“Whipper” hammock: Grey, NylonD 1.0, 10’ fininished length, triple stitched sewn end-chanells [5.61oz]
    IMAG1999.jpg
    IMAG2325.jpg
    -“Silhouette” hammock: Black, PolyD1.2, 10’4” finished length, knotty style whipped ends, head and foot end knotty mods (stretch side hammock) [7.05oz]
    IMAG2331.jpg

Suspension:
    -Camo+orng whoopie hook suspension: 6ft cargo stree huggers with loops sewn on ends (3” and 1”), 6ft whoopie slings of orange 7/64th amsteel with dutch’s whoopie hook beads, 1 black 8” continuous loop, 1 orange 8” continuous loop, 2 black softshackles(“better” style from l-36).
    -Black+black whoopie hook suspension: 6ft polyester tree huggers with loops on ends (3” and 1”), 6ft whoopie slings with dutch’s whoopie hook beads, 1 black 6” continuous loop, 1 orange 6” continuous loop, 2 black “slide” shackles (7/64th loops with diamond knots and slider knot for securing)
    -UL suspension: 6ft green dynaglide whoopies, 6ft kevlar tree strap (for marlin spike set up).
    -extensions: 2x 36” 7/64th amsteel dog bones
    -2x UCR style adjustable structural ridge lines.

Quilts:
    -“Apogee” Top quilt: Apex 3.6 insulation, Argon 90 orange shell, Argon 67 black taffeta liner, cinch/zip footbox, optional pad attachment sytem using ½” center release buckle
    IMAG1904.jpg
    IMAG1905.jpg
    -“SUQ” Serape Under Quilt: Apex 3.6 insulation, Argon 90 orange shell and liner, grosgrain chanels for main suspension, secondary suspension loops, head hole with snap closure in the middle for “serape-mode”, buckles for securing in serape-mode.
    IMAG1984.jpg
    IMAG1981.jpg
    IMAG1974.jpg
    -“CUQ” Costco Under Quilt: 40” wide, 60” long, 700fp down (all of the down from the original 70”x60” packed into this area). Grosgrain side channels, secondary suspension loops.
    IMAG2332.jpg
    -“CTQ” Costco Top Quilt: 50” wide, 70” long, 700fp (all of the down from the original 60”x70” packed into this area), sewn in foot box

Bike Bags
    -frame pack prototype: Tyvek construction, #3 zipper, 1” velcro, internal divider/stabilizer, hydration port, taped construction
    IMAG2208.jpg
    IMAG2209.jpg
    -2 custom frame packs: X-Pac main construction, 1000D cordura reincorcements, #8 Uretek zipper with zipper garages and integrated pull loops, 1”/2”/4” velcro, internal dividers/stabilizers (custom sized to fit Jet boil and 3L camelbag), hydration port, double stitched main body and bartacked wear points.
    IMAG2316.jpg
    IMG_7493.jpg
    IMG_6371.jpg
    -handlebar bag prototype: tyvek constuction, roll top ends, velcro bar attachment, buckle stabilizer strap, plastic stifener (big enough to fit, TQ, UQ, hammock, suspension).
    PIC
    PIC

Tarp:
    -“Shadow” Tarp: 1.4oz SilNy from DIYGS, 10’6” length, hex shap, cat cuts, 4x panel pull outs w/ beastee dee rings, 6x ground tie outs with lineloc3s, 1” beastee dee rings on ridgeline, clothes lines on inside of panel pulls, 4x mitten hooks along RL for hangin lights, etc.
    Pic
    Pic

Misc:
    -rain “kilt”: SilNy, snap closure at hem and open edge, cinch waist, loops at corners and on long side for use a tarp door, etc. Who am I kidding? It’s a skirt.
    -softshackle prussiks: a lot of them. From 1.8mm techline, 1.75mm slickline (zpacks). Use them to adjust the shock cord for the hiking pole mod on shadow tarp, to attach things to my ASRLs, for attaching tarp to continuous glowire ridge line
    -continuous glowire ridgeline: pack hook at one end (functions like fixed end dutch hook), other end has a pack hook attached to a lineloc3. I like the reflective.
    -sacks: silny bishop bag for silhouette hammock, silny stuff sack for suspension, cuben fiber stuff sack for whipper hammock, copy of EE minion (using NylonD1.0 and silny).
    -ridgeline organizer: orange Argon 90, nano-seeum pockets (sized for kindle and glasses) tube style, grosgrain channel for hanging, tabs on ends to prussik if needed

There are probably a few things I left out. Oh, yeah, well I made Tyvek pyramid shelter prototype. But this is a hammock for forums. Or, well, you know what I mean

Let me know if you have any questions or want more photos.

The question now is, what’s next? Maybe a 950FP Argon 67 quilt set, Cuben fiber tarp, Hexon1.0 hammock with integrate tarp suspension, backpack…. And probably even more.

PS: I will post the pictures of the tarp below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That is some fantastic work.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Spectra+webbing
    Nice, and very inspiring. Was the serape your idea?

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Wow. That is some amazing craftsmenship and ingenuity. I like the serape idea!
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    That is some fantastic work.
    Thanks Dutch! Thanks for fueling the addiction

Nice, and very inspiring. Was the serape your idea?
    No, not really my idea. It is sort of an amalgamation of several other peoples designs. First, the JRB Snivelers, where I first saw the idea of wearing a quilt. Then Mountain Laurel Designs M-Quilt, for how to make a synthetic quilt wearable.

Wow. That is some amazing craftsmenship and ingenuity. I like the serape idea!
    Thanks! Looks pretty silly, but it really is quite warm. Plus, what do the deer care if I look silly?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The bike pack really interests me. That is such a great build.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Great work! and thank you for sharing. Really like the SUQ. Keep debating my own bikepack, but I keep placing other projects in front of it. Your bike gear looks great as well.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    The bike pack really interests me. That is such a great build.
    Well, if you want to give one a try, I would be more than happy to make you one. If you send me a cardboard template of your main triangle, with notes about all the braze-ons, bolts, hangers, etc., I can make you one that is customized for your ride. I would be honored to craft you something in thanks for all the great customer service you have provided me.

It is amazing how much stuff you can get in a set of bike bags. I am working on a seat pack right now to complete my set up. Hopefully between the bars, frame and seat bag, I won't have to use a pack at all. Plus, I love that I can cover 60 miles in a day while out bikepacking. Opens up lots of possibilities. I plan on doing the Kokopelli Trail (160miles) next summer. Down side is that it is in the desert, so I can't use my hammock set up .

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Impressive. The tarp is quite a good looking project.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast