Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Our boys are allowed to set up what they want to sleep in... Separate or together... By requiring sleeping with a partner you are really pushing the limits with the latest policies... Venture troops don't have boys and girls sharing tents to meet a requirement for multiple members in a tent so requiring scouts too is a problem.... Not that they shouldn't if they want but requiring isn't a good policy.
    When taking part in some Order of the Arrow campouts you are required to sleep by yourself under a tarp that you've tied out and just on a pad on the ground so hanging a hammock under that tarp certainly counts toward a shelter. Besides, getting the boys separated out and comfy in hammocks just cuts back on the horseplay before bed...

I don't think there is an argument here, but there could be at a roundtable. Thanks for starting the post.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I'm not sure how Boy Scouts partnering up in tents is pushing the limits of any BSA policy. Venture Crews and OA events are irrelevant to my part of this discussion as we're not in a Crew and the OA events are run by the OA, not our Troop.

There aren't many places where we camp that one could set up a hammock with the rest of the Patrol. Most of the time we're pretty much out in the open.

What we do works and has worked for our Troop for over 20 years. We've always taken the guidelines and requirements to mean what they say. Now that they say something else, our policies will change with them. I'm not sure how anything I"ve said is controversial. If your Troop does things differently, I hope you have a great time and your Scouts develop into fine young men. I know we do and our Scouts are some of the finest young men this area will ever see.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I wasn't trying to offend anyone, I was just meaning BSA policy does not require scouts to share tents, and how could they when venture crews can't, so hammocks are fine... I said controversial cause some boys might not feel comfortable sharing a tent, so requiring them to could cause problems. I was actually told that it was policy for boys to share tents when I started working in scouts and it wasn't until I looked for myself that I found out that its just a tradition in many troops to require sharing... Thats why I mentioned venture crews...
    I mentioned the OA because the two main themes of the OA are service and camping so, after becoming a member of the OA myself, I believe that if a tarp tied off to sleep under meets the camping requirement for the OA, then I believe it meets the requirement for rank advancement and always has. Thats why I mentioned the OA...
    One of the biggest things I have taken out of the new requirements is not the exact wording, but the fact that there are now a couple additional camping nights required...
    I apologize for any misconceptions of anything I said...

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    No worries and honestly no offense was taken. Just wondering how we had misinterpreted things to the point of pushing limits.

If a young man is truly uncomfortable sharing a tent I'm sure our SM would approach it properly, but surprisingly, it's never come up. We don't even tell the Scouts that they're required to share; we simply encourage it and the organic nature of young men building friendships takes it's course. It's a remarkable thing, really.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm hoping that our forthcoming Hammock Camping merit badge that I'm doing with the Troop will get more off the ground once they're ready to elevate. We haven't had many try hammocks in the past. If it can count for a requirement, that will certainly be a motivator.

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    Learn to bunking with other member is learning experience, (read, snoring !), but primary reason is buddy system, last Summer camp, the Scout came wake me up because his buddy has nose bleeding, a junior in shock who don't know what to do. I'll allow them to use hammock only they demonstrate knew tent well and can take care themselves, at least First class.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by AScott View Post
    There aren't many places where we camp that one could set up a hammock with the rest of the Patrol. Most of the time we're pretty much out in the open.
    This is one of my favorite images. It is not mine but one I found on the interwebs some time ago. I imagine that it is a scout camp where boys found a solution to a situation similar to what you describe.
    hammock wheel.jpg

And another one from Derek's site
    lashed-hammock-stand.jpg
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sashasrd View Post
    This is one of my favorite images. It is not mine but one I found on the interwebs some time ago. I imagine that it is a scout camp where boys found a solution to a situation similar to what you describe.
    hammock wheel.jpg

And another one from Derek's site
    lashed-hammock-stand.jpg
    I've seen those pictures. Doesn't do much to address the lone Scout who wants to hammock while the rest tent, but maybe we'll get more interest in hanging here in the next few months.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by sashasrd View Post
    I have been doing some work for our unit on the new BSA rank requirements. The Tenderfoot rank still says to spend the night in a tent you helped pitch BUT, the others are changed.
    Second Class
    1a. Since joining, participate in five separate troop/patrol activities, three of which
    include overnight camping. These five activities do not include troop or patrol
    meetings. On at least two of the three campouts, spend the night in a tent that
    you pitch or other structure that you help erect (such as a lean-to, snow cave,
    or tepee). I would add Hammock W/Tarp or stand.

First Class
    1a. Since joining, participate in 10 separate troop/patrol activities, six of which
    include overnight camping. These 10 activities do not include troop or patrol
    meetings. On at least five of the six campouts, spend the night in a tent that
    you pitch or other structure that you help erect (such as a lean-to, snow cave,
    or tepee) Again, I would add Hammock W/Tarp or Stand.

If a scout erects a TurtleDog or other stand and added a tarp, I would count it. We had our first real cold weather camp of the year last weekend. I was the only one in a hammock this time but I think that is going to change with the interest from the boys and some encouragement. We have many that like the hammock in the warmer weather.

I didn't have frost on my tarp but the tents had a thick layer of snow (frost) on the inside of their walls. Tarps and hammocks can be a better lesson for the boys on how weather effects camping, planning, and avoiding wet gear.

Any other leaders going to take advantage of the new language?
    Our troop has a rule that Scouts have to sleep in a tent with another scout until they are Star Scouts. We view hammocks as one man tents. I think it's a good idea that kids get some tent camping with a buddy under their belts before they start hammock camping. I'm the first hammocker in the Troop (as an Assistant Scoutmaster). I've done it pretty much since my third campout with the troop (I was finding that the ground was much lower and harder than it was when I was younger). We now have a handful of hammockers in the troop (as well as a few cowboy campers, who sleep under the stars on nice nights). My oldest son is hardcore hammocker. My younger son is a "nice conditions" hammocker (i.e. if it's warm and dry, otherwise he tent camps). Both are Eagles.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hikehunter View Post
    All I have read here sounds good......contact BSA Headquarters , or better yet have Scout contact them about adding hammocks
    No need to be added. The rule didn't have the "only" other structures allowed, just examples. "Such as" means these are examples, not the only choices.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast