DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Finally got a Blackbird!

After years of using my own homemade hammock and watching my sons use their state-of-the-art Warbonnet Blackbird, I finally placed an order for a Blackbird. I went with the XLC and added the winter top cover. I'm curious to hear from those of you who have this setup. I also added a Yeti 3-season quilt, agonized over whether to go with the 3 season or the winter quilt. I'm sure I will be rethinking this one for some time…with two other Yetis in the house, maybe I should have gone with the winter version? But then I would suffer on our summer outings… All this was made possible by the best wife in the world who told me to order my own Christmas present.

Hammock
    WB XLC and RR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    W. Logics and UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have the XLC and the winter top cover as well. Love it! It has been a great set up. One night I did get condensation with the top cover, so keep that in mind. I haven't gotten it every time, but the time I did it was pretty substantial. It does raise them temperature inside the hammock, so that part is great.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That's good to know. Have you tried opening the top cover some?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I have the same rig, minus the top cover. I used the 3 season yeti last night in 23 degrees and it was fine.

Hammock
    WBBB/DutchHex1.6
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40/20/0
    Suspension
    WhoopDutchHookTogg
    I have a regular bb so I can't help with the top cover. As far as quilts go it's easy to overthink it when ordering, thinking that you want to be comfortable in the coldest of weather. But I know now what you really want is something to keep you warm when you hammock the most. And truthfully for most people that's milder weather, maybe the 70's into the 40's. I think a majority of people, if they are being honest, don't like it out there in 32 degrees and lower. Honestly it's not that fun unless your into pretty weird kinds of fun. (Which I happen to be into because I grew up in Buffalo,NY)? And 0 degree quilts? That is a specialized kind of nutbag who saunters out into the woods in 20-0 degrees F. They are out there, but much more rare. I think most hangers would be extremely happy with 40 degree slightly overstuffed 3/4 set, and then supplementing the quilts with merino underlayers, a down beanie with thick fleece socks or down booties, down jacket,and a pad. Then probably a sock like dutch has(which I just ordered), or an xlc w topcover!, In that order. That would get you pretty low temp wise. And if you still haven't had enough by then it makes sense to bite the bullet on the next set(20's). Hope this helps someone and puts your worries to rest. Have fun, what a great bonding/learning experience w your sons.
    “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
    ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey

Hammock
    WB XLC and RR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    W. Logics and UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have opened it right by my head. The colder it was, the less condensation I got. And the warming inside the top cover was significant. I would say an easy 10-15 degrees and no wind issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    That's good to know. Have you tried opening the top cover some?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've got the winter cover and just returned from a night out at 22F. There was a very noticeable difference in temperature inside the cover vs outside. I recommend it.

Hammock
    WB BB-lefty-xlc & BB-normal
    Tarp
    WB Superfly,
    Insulation
    EE-Top,Yeti-Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie/Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    also added a Yeti 3-season quilt, agonized over whether to go with the 3 season or the winter quilt. I'm sure I will be rethinking this one for some time
    Big Jim, We have the same setup minus the winter cover. We absolutely love the Yeti. Never been cold on cool nights, small and light packs well. Plus, Brandon cuts the yeti to fit the BB perfectly. I notice that the only time I need to adjust it is when I enter or re-enter the hammock. It stays put while in the hammock no matter how much you move around. We moved up from ghetto under-insulation sleeping pads. Horrible experience. Yeti is a perfect for us! No plans for "4th" season hammocking. Just doesn't seem fun so no need for the winter cover... I'm sure you won't have a moments regret with the BB/Yeti decision...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1db
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*+ top & btm
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Huge contratulations, Big Jim Mac! Blackbird is amazingly comfortable with Yeti quilt. My Yeti is very comfortable, but have experienced cold feet many times. Finally purchased UGQ full length underquilt for temps below 40*. It is much bigger, but worth it in the cold.
    Congrats again!

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC 1.1 DL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles
    The Yeti is amazing. I finally did a cold weather test and was warm all night long. I am 5'9" and the Yeti covers from my shoulders to just below my knees. I used a REI sit pad stuffed in the foot of my sleeping bag and was warm all night long. Here is the posting of my experience

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...i-and-Superfly

Condensation is s problem where I live. You can see the frost that formed before I even got in! I have found that if I unzip the netting by my mouth, I get very little inside condensation. I still need to try the winter cover in these conditions.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast