WBBB XLC, Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    AHE JB, HG, UQP
    Suspension
    WB Stock, Dutch

Quilt Insulation quesrion

Hello, what is the main difference between down and Clima shield for insulation. Baffles amd non baffle quilts. I see there is a price difference. But does one perform better than the other?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Down is from ducks or geese and compacts more. Requires baffles to keep it in place.

Clamashield is synthetic, no baffles needed. Tends to weigh more and does not compact as much as down

Both will keep you warm but most backpackers will go with down as it packs smaller and tends to weigh less. With the new dry/water resistant down you don't have to worry as much about your down getting wet
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Down is a natural insulation fill, and Climashield is a synthetic sheet of insulation. Down compresses better for storage, lasts longer, and weighs less than Climashield, but Climashield costs a lot less and retains its loft better in VERY wet environments. Down quilts need baffles to keep the down from shifting, and Climashield quilts do not.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Most of the down used in quilts these days is hydrophobic, so that the difference in damp environments is almost negligible. If you get down actually wet, then yes, it does collapse - but for the most part, a wet quilt is a wet quilt even if you have synthetic insulation. This is due to how moisture speeds up heat loss. So the argument for synthetics being better than down with regard to being wet is sort of minimally true at best. In an emergency situation where you couldn't keep the quilt dry, yes, you want synthetic. For just about any other circumstance, it doesn't matter. Down trumps syn with regard to weight and bulk, but syn costs much less. Down has a slightly more cozy feel due to how well it traps heat in the expanded air pockets of the additional loft vs syn. (for same rating)

I recently got a synthetic UQ (Climashied) because I didn't want to take my down zero on milder weather trips. About the same weight and bulk for the 3 season short UQ, I just didn't want keep using the expensive down UQ all the time even if I didn't mind the extra insulation. Used it a couple of times now and they are plenty warm, very pleased with the value. For most people camping in 3 season conditions, its the way I would go - unless, weight and bulk are areas you're focused on.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    See the link below. It's a good explanation of insulation. The lead chemist for Sierra Designs Dr. Frank Kvietok comes in around 20 min and explains water resistant down. If I had to choose one insulator, it would be DriDown or DownTek.

http://sierradesigns.com/sd-live/all-things-insulation

I just finished & tested my first DIY underquilt. I came to this conclusion I have more time than money. I also have more space than money. I went with Climashield. If I had the money I am pretty sure I would have gone with down. Provided I could purchase a down quilt. I don't think I want to work with it. The Climashield was definitely easy to work with. I have a down blanket I use as a top quilt. It was headed to the garbage when I rescued it. It is incredibly warm. I have used it "as is" down to about 35 degrees. The down quilt is definitely more comfortable. All that to say you simply have to decide what your priorities are and then look for which one best matches. Both will keep you warm. It's going to cost you either time or money.

• + New Posts