Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member Scott_Adkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Yukon or Kelty
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear / DIY
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Posts
    67

    Question about WBBB XLC setup

    I am one of those people that have found I definitely like having my foot end higher , 18" or so, than my head end. My question comes in figuring hang angles. Not to bad to figure out when head and foot are equal but becomes more challenging with one is higher than the other. Looking for ideas of how others deal with this. Do you start out with them equal, get the angle close then raise the foot end. Or do you put the foot higher and adjust from there. For whatever reason seems harder to set right with foot higher. I also find for example I get in the hammock and the ridgeline is too loose having a hard time figuring which end to tighten. When I set them the same high I would just tighten each side the same. Any tricks that work for you.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    North Ga.
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    72
    I have a very scientific approach to this. I hang it level, then raise the foot the about the distance from my elbow to the knuckle on my fist. With is around 15 inches for me.

  3. #3
    TallPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Posts
    2,381
    Images
    5
    Nothing scientific here.
    I set mine up, step back, and eye ball it. Then later get in to see how it feels.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    233
    The angle doesn't need to be exact.
    With the BB you have a ridgeline, get that about the right amount of tight and you will be in the right ballpark.

  5. #5
    TallPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Posts
    2,381
    Images
    5
    I will add this. When I backpack, I typically use hiking poles. When I get to camp, I use the poles to judge the distance between trees. This means I have a pretty consistent distance, so getting the angle down has one less variable.

  6. #6
    hutzelbein's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    2,289
    Images
    76
    I rarely hit the sweet spot right away. I usually set up my BB with the foot end a bit higher, which can be a bit of a challenge when the ground slopes down. Then I get in the hammock and see how tight the ridgeline is. Usually, there is too much slack. I then tighten the suspension on the foot end until I can only bend the ridgeline a bit. Then I check where my center of gravity is when I'm lying in the hammock. 99 out of 100 times, it's too far in the middle. I know how far away I should be from the head end, so I simply slide the suspension on the foot end up the tree, until my body settles in the right place. It takes a couple of adjustments, so I'm not setting up fast - but my comfort is worth a bit of extra time for me.

  7. #7
    Member Scott_Adkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Yukon or Kelty
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear / DIY
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I rarely hit the sweet spot right away. I usually set up my BB with the foot end a bit higher, which can be a bit of a challenge when the ground slopes down. Then I get in the hammock and see how tight the ridgeline is. Usually, there is too much slack. I then tighten the suspension on the foot end until I can only bend the ridgeline a bit. Then I check where my center of gravity is when I'm lying in the hammock. 99 out of 100 times, it's too far in the middle. I know how far away I should be from the head end, so I simply slide the suspension on the foot end up the tree, until my body settles in the right place. It takes a couple of adjustments, so I'm not setting up fast - but my comfort is worth a bit of extra time for me.
    Thanks. At least I know I'm not the only one who doesn't have it down to a science.

  8. #8
    Kaerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Zaleski, Ohio
    Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Uber Swack Shack
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    97
    Images
    12
    I set my XLC up completely level with extra slack on the whoopies so it hangs low. I try to aim to get the head strap height around shoulder height (I'm 6'-1"), set the foot strap as level as I can get it, and step back to verify. Once I'm happy it's level I go back to the foot end and raise it up ~12" (if it's level ground and its already at my shoulders, I adjust to the top of my head). Finally I adjust the whoopies to get a good amount of tension while still having some slack - this is verified by laying in the hammock and torquing the ridgeline with my thumb and forefinger (as shown on one of WB's setup videos). I've gotten a good feel for the right amount of tension, but it takes some trial and error to get the lay you like. If I'm set up for a day, I'll check the sit height of the hammock to make sure I'm comfortable for later on when everyone sits around the fire telling tall tales.

  9. #9
    Member kenbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Northeast Connecticut
    Hammock
    WB BB-lefty-xlc & BB-normal
    Tarp
    WB Superfly,
    Insulation
    EE-Top,Yeti-Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie/Clip
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I use the poles to judge the distance between trees. This means I have a pretty consistent distance, so getting the angle down has one less variable.
    Nice idea Paul!

    I have a built-in "tape measure"..... My Golf stride. Over the years I have developed a consistent step size to judge distance to the hole. I can do a very consistent 3 ft step. Instant tween-tree measurement in the piney woods...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
    Nice idea Paul!

    I have a built-in "tape measure"..... My Golf stride. Over the years I have developed a consistent step size to judge distance to the hole. I can do a very consistent 3 ft step. Instant tween-tree measurement in the piney woods...
    I'm rubbish at guessing distance, but have a laser distance measuring device which I intend to take with me for checking the distance between trees (or from a tree to my hammock stand pole).

Similar Threads

  1. Advice for beginner WBBB XLC setup
    By mikegryo in forum Camping Hammocks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-21-2015, 11:37
  2. Superfly setup question
    By hawghangar in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-24-2014, 02:58
  3. Setup question
    By Brock311 in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 14:17
  4. Insulation Setup for my WBBB XLC 1.7 DL
    By lesspayne in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2013, 06:00
  5. Hammock Setup WBBB OES Yeti
    By The_Saint in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 09:56

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •