WBBB-XLC 1.1 DL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles

A Pain in the Neck

My backyard experiments continue, the latest being an upgrade to an 14.6 oz EXPED Hyperlite MW pad. The near 26" width gives better coverage and has pretty much solved the cold butt issues. However, I am still having issues with a sore neck. I am 5'9" tall. When sleeping in a bed, I am a side sleeper and do not always need a pillow. In a tent, I use a pillow with the air almost completely let out. I have am setup with the foot end about 18" higher than the head end and am at a 30 degree hang. I have tried several different riggings as well as repositioning myself fore and aft inside the hammock. I have added and removed air from the pad and tried different pad cross angles in the sleeve. The best so far is to have my head extend past the end of the pad so it can drop back a little. Still, the problem remains. Sleeping on my side works too. I do notice that if I lay in the hammock without the pad, I lay flatter and there is a pocket formed by my head that relieves the neck pressure. Perhaps an underquilt will help, but maybe it is just a personal peculiarity. I continue to experiment, but don't have it dialed in yet. I am usually very tolerant of minor discomfort and maybe I will develop resistance as time goes by. Any suggestions or ideas appreciated as well as others with similar experience.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    Try various size pillows. I use a small one in my hammock (smaller than the one i use in bed), but I can't imagine sleeping on my side without a pillow. The width of my shoulders does not allow my head to rest on the hammock without the use of a pillow. Even on my back it is more comfortable to use a pillow.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    If you prefer to sleep on your side, you might try out a Ridgerunner -- perhaps at a group hang, or maybe somene near you has one. The Ridgerunner is generally considered better than a gathered end for those who sleep on their sides or stomachs; it also comes with a small indentation where your head should be, and that may help as well.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Maybe try lowering the foot end about 6".
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Maybe try lowering the foot end about 6".
    Think I'll try that. I have been fixated on keeping the foot higher and my have gone overboard. Thanks

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ChacMool View Post
    If you prefer to sleep on your side, you might try out a Ridgerunner -- perhaps at a group hang, or maybe somene near you has one. The Ridgerunner is generally considered better than a gathered end for those who sleep on their sides or stomachs; it also comes with a small indentation where your head should be, and that may help as well.
    I didn't know about that indentation. I think I didn't investigate the Ridgerunner enough when I bought my XLC. The WBRR has some very positive features. I was trying to watch the packed weight and the spreader poles put me off. I also would like the sections to be 17 " or less to fit in my motorcycle panniers. I somehow missed the pole segment dimensions and moved on to hastily. I think I could use trekking poles for backpacking but that might preclude use on the superfly for various purposes. Like others have found, sleeping on my back is an acquired taste and could do it fine if it didn't strain my neck. My XLC has never been camping, just back yard use. I am still open to change in methods or equipment.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Hang with a little more slack, more slack usually solves comfort problems. I like using a small pillow (stocking cap with light gloves stuffed inside actually) under only my neck. It gives just enough support without pitching my head uncomfortably up and forward.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    Hang with a little more slack, more slack usually solves comfort problems. I like using a small pillow (stocking cap with light gloves stuffed inside actually) under only my neck. It gives just enough support without pitching my head uncomfortably up and forward.
    Experimented with more slack and lowering the foot end. Also tried rigging per the Ultimate Hanger calculator. My angle estimate was way off when I cross-checked with a clinometer. I also noticed that if I moved myself more toward the foot end and adjusted my cross hammock angle, there was a bit of a depression that my head slipped into that relieved the back pressure on my head that held it up and strained my neck. This was without the pad in place so an underquilt shows promise. I'll probably give my neck a rest tonight and experiment more tomorrow. I may set up the video camera and some kind of setup to help quantify what is going on as I shift positions and experiment with different inflation pressures on the pad. I really appreciate the suggestions and thank you for the help. I really want this hammock camping to work and am not going to give up easily.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Under Quilt likely is next in the order button.
    Keep playing without the pad so as to get the true experience to see if it works for you....before plunging into a Quilt. But the down quilts are worth every penny if your into this for the long haul.

Plan B is always the RR..
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrgi View Post
    Under Quilt likely is next in the order button.
    Keep playing without the pad so as to get the true experience to see if it works for you....before plunging into a Quilt. But the down quilts are worth every penny if your into this for the long haul.

Plan B is always the RR..
    Sage advice from an experienced hanger.

Today I re-rigged everything according to the textbook. Head end one foot lower. 30 degree measured angle. 18 inches from the ground, etc. It made a huge difference. I laid crossways with my head at the WB logo.I put a level on my chest and it measured 0 degrees. My head rested in a pocket and measured 0 or even negative angle tilted back very slightly. Absolutely no pressure on the back of my head and neck was unloaded. It was slightly better with the top of the pad at shoulder level and my head resting in the pocket .

The problem seems to be solved. The next challenge is to see if I can maintain this without pad shifting through an evening sleep. The double layer with no skid shelf liner help sometimes, but not always. This is where an underquilt should shine. Once set up, it should maintain position through the night, pee breaks and all.Will report back after next overnight test hang.
    Last edited by MisterS; 05-24-2015 at 20:31.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast