Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

My Birthday Present

My wife doesn't hike. Just doesn't. Now and then I can get her on a car camping trip, but she doesn't hike.

So today's my birthday. I wake up, they sing, then hand me the cards. One of them is a letter...inviting me on a family campout at "Hammocks Beach State Park" on Bear Island! Which includes...drum roll...a water taxi ride to the island, then about a mile backpack to the site!

She hasn't said she'll sleep in a hammock yet, but at least she'll be hiking in to a "hammock" campsite! Baby steps...I'll get her there some day!

(And Sgt Rock is my inspiration...took him until retirement to get Dixiecritter hammocking with him!)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Happy Birthday Jeff! That sounds like an awesome present. Sounds like your wife is starting to come around. Thats a BIG step. Maybe you wont have to wait as long as Rock. And, sounds like you'll have to bring your own cupcakes....Ive never heard of a swimming dinosaur! BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's a great gift! Congratulations!

...And Happy Birthday.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    happy birthday, jeff!!! and that is a lovely present! enjoy!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Happy Birthday... a great start, too.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    My wife doesn't hike. Just doesn't. Now and then I can get her on a car camping trip, but she doesn't hike.

So today's my birthday. I wake up, they sing, then hand me the cards. One of them is a letter...inviting me on a family campout at "Hammocks Beach State Park" on Bear Island! Which includes...drum roll...a water taxi ride to the island, then about a mile backpack to the site!

She hasn't said she'll sleep in a hammock yet, but at least she'll be hiking in to a "hammock" campsite! Baby steps...I'll get her there some day!

(And Sgt Rock is my inspiration...took him until retirement to get Dixiecritter hammocking with him!)
    You're going to LOVE Bear Island, especially this time of year with few bugs. It's usually uncrowded and you're right on the ocean, so it'll be one of the most relaxing trips you'll ever take.

One tip - if there's ANY bugs around when you get there, camp in one of the sites right behind the breaker dunes. There are a couple of "nicer" sites on the far side of the lagoon - toward the sound side of the island - but they have some SERIOUS bug problems.

I'm not entirely sure about tree availability in the dune sites though...it's been quite a while since I've been out there.

Enjoy! Guess now it's my turn to get my wife out....
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

happy birthday bro,i hope you have an awesome time neo

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys.

BB - have you been to the sites on the western side? The ferry doesn't run until April so if we go next weekend we have to take a water taxi...so we might be able to get him to drive us around a bit until we find a site with good trees and stuff. Still have to squeeze in a short backpack, though!

And what's water availability?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Happy Birthday Jeff, and have a wonderful time!

Perkolady

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys.

BB - have you been to the sites on the western side? The ferry doesn't run until April so if we go next weekend we have to take a water taxi...so we might be able to get him to drive us around a bit until we find a site with good trees and stuff. Still have to squeeze in a short backpack, though!

And what's water availability?
    I'm trying to remember the island orientation, here - by "west side" I'm guessing you mean the sites near the back side of the island? I have been to those and there are usable trees there if I remember correctly. They were just REALLY buggy when I was there, but that was in the summertime. Of course, it's been years since I've been out there at all and my memory isn't world-class And things may have changed, too.

There were water spigots at the bathhouse at the center of the island, just off the beach. A bit of a walk, depending on where you camp. They may have added more since I was there, though.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast