Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images

Top Quilt for cold sleeper

Which would be the better choice for a cold sleeper.
    20 degree with 4oz over stuff or just get a 0 degree bag?
    I would assume the 0 but then again not positive.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Personally I would go with the 0°. There is a point were overstuff isn't the best choice, depending on baffle height. All quality manufacturers (including yours truly) will use different height baffles on different temperature quilts to control loft and down shift. At Loco Libre Gear we don't offer more than 2 ounces of overstuff because our quilts have 15-20 chambers and 4 ounces of overfill would be too much - better to go with a quilt that has another inch of baffle height to allow the down to loft properly and get you to that temperature.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Personally I would go with the 0°. There is a point were overstuff isn't the best choice, depending on baffle height. All quality manufacturers (including yours truly) will use different height baffles on different temperature quilts to control loft and down shift. At Loco Libre Gear we don't offer more than 2 ounces of overstuff because our quilts have 15-20 chambers and 4 ounces of overfill would be too much - better to go with a quilt that has another inch of baffle height to allow the down to loft properly and get you to that temperature.
    Appreciate the info. Good to know.
    I would think the 20 would be good for most temps I'm in but I have gotten pretty chilled when sleeping in 30 to 25 degree temps with the current 20 degree top & under-quilt I have now. It might be overkill but I might grab a 0 degree when I know I will be close to those temps in the future.
    Thanks again for the info.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Unless you are heading north to hang I think a 0* is overkill. What location, time of year, lowest temps are you hanging at? IMO more then 2oz of extra down may not be beneficial. The chambers will only allow so much loft. I like to add just a little bit to help reduce cold spots and future sag. I am a cold sleeper and have found the UQ to be the most important quilt for warmth. It may be a better place to invest your money. So if you are using it primarily in Florida, a 20* should be fine.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I see you posted while I was writing. What I do in Winter is to double up my under quilt. I have a 3/4 Yetti combined with a full length UQ to keep the backside from getting cold. Up till yesterday I have only been using a 20* TQ. Just bought a 0* last night, but will be using it further up North in the dead of Winter. Think about where the coldness was coming from, CBS, feet, shoulders,etc. Could just need a little adjustment somewhere to remedy the situation.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Unless you are heading north to hang I think a 0* is overkill. What location, time of year, lowest temps are you hanging at? IMO more then 2oz of extra down may not be beneficial. The chambers will only allow so much loft. I like to add just a little bit to help reduce cold spots and future sag. I am a cold sleeper and have found the UQ to be the most important quilt for warmth. It may be a better place to invest your money. So if you are using it primarily in Florida, a 20* should be fine.
    Yep its fine for Florida sometimes overkill but sometimes I'm in NC, Michigan, Nebraska, Wyoming etc. no sense limiting oneself to one state.
    Bought a 0 degree Lynx for my WBRR bridge earlier this year & was debating whether to match it up with a 0 TQ or just use my current 20.
    Haven't tried the 0-Lynx in cold weather yet but it worked fine at 65 yikes! Lots of venting & no TQ lol it was a spur of the moment camp trip & I grabbed the wrong UQ

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    You are probably aware that the temp ratings that most vendors use for top quilts or sleeping bags are assuming that the user will be wearing base layers of clothing also. So a 20 degree TQ, used without base layers, may be only comfortable at 30 - 40 degrees.
    I would prefer to sleep without base layers so I almost got a 0* for that reason but decided that wearing base layers was a good idea anyway to keep that expensive down item cleaner.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

• + New Posts