Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Symmetric integrated bugnet

Lately I have found myself switching side in my hammock(s). I like integrated bugnets because it keeps me the TQ etc. in the hammock. All my other hammocks are asym. but they are not comfortable if I switch sides. What to do? The only design I know is a hexagon shape net. For the record it’s not my invention.
    Apparently this bugnet shape is not the most common so there is not a lot of hints to find.

I was not sure how to do it but I started it by sewing the zipper all the way around the hammock. Then I made a mark just below my feet and above my head (saftypins). I did the same on both sides.
    The hammock was hung so the ridge line was taut. I tied two strings around the hammock by the saftypins and down to a long board. By doing this the mid section will form a straight horizontal line. Then I started to pin the net to the zipper.
    The net was sewn to the zipper, trimmed and got a second seam.
    The exciting part was to test it because I had no clue what to expect.
    I assumed I would get some floppy sections and I did. Because of the shape there will always be two “corners” (diagonal) I can’t use and the net cant stretch so they form a small floppy section. On the positive side it was not as bad as I feared. The negative is I don’t get the full potential of the hammock (66” wide). The net gets a bit of tension diagonal (the way I lay diagonal). Had it been an standard 60-58” wide hammock I doubt it would have worked but I will give it a chance as it is.
    I am not sure where and how but this design could definitely benefit from sections of stretch fabric.
    If you have any ideas to improve this please let me know as long as its integrated.
    Hex net.png
    IMG_20151129_115611.jpg
    IMG_20151129_115638.jpg
    IMG_20151129_122811.jpg
    IMG_20151129_141146.jpg
    IMG_20151129_143408.jpg
    IMG_20151129_171204.jpg
    IMG_20151129_171236.jpg
    Last edited by Snowball; 11-29-2015 at 11:25.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I made a similar net design and it has worked fine. The netting (if good quality) is stronger than you think. It can take quite a bit of strain.
    As you shift from side to side, you are relieving tension on the net via the unweighted hammock fabric towards the opposite side. It equals out the overall strain. Sort of a see-saw effect, one side lifts as the other side falls.

Think of it as more of a barrel of fabric, forming a complete circle around you and the rl.
    ..and my hammock fabric was 66" also. I don't recall the finished width of my net though, sorry.

One minor issue I did have was smooth zipper travel at the hex corners. Zippers don't always like sharps turns. It still zips, but occasionally, the zipper would stall out at the bend.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I am not sure if it’s the design ,the method I used or I simply sewed the net too tight but now I have napped and slept in it several times I have to say it don’t work for me. I am forced too much towards the center line of the hammock and out of the diagonal position.
    The only positive thing I can say is the hammock can be reused as it is and so can the zipper on the net when I rip it apart but the net is lost.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I make me hammocks similar, but end up with a way more rounded shape vs a hex shape. It works well for me, I don't lay on an extreme diagonal, and I find when I have an UQ on, its harder to get on an extreme diagonal anyways. One thing that I do is make the net a little bigger than needed and take up the slack in the bugnet with little pleats all the way around. The net doesn't end up too tight and has plenty of give while still staying off your face. It works for me.
    My head is an animal

• + New Posts