Hammock
    NX250, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliner, AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Thank you all for a great time. A pleasure to see old friends and meet new ones. It was fantastic to be out and I think reinstated. As far as running into the cooking area Sunday, did you not see the fear in my eyes.
    "I ain't no physciscisk, but I knows what matters"
    Popeye

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-47ChowHound View Post
    Thank you all for a great time. A pleasure to see old friends and meet new ones. It was fantastic to be out and I think reinstated. As far as running into the cooking area Sunday, did you not see the fear in my eyes.
    For the record, I did not wake up P-47Chowhound by staring at him in his hammock. I merely called him from 20 feet away because I didn't want him to miss breakfast. He bolted out of his hammock in his underwear and I dared him to go the campsite in that attire. Next thing I know he's got his coffee cup and he's running towards the campfire in his skivvies!

Well played, P47, well played. However, we know you just wanted to show off that CrossFit physique, so you didn't fool anyone! SilentOrpheus' belly was jiggling with laughter.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-30-2015 at 19:49.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    NX250, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliner, AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    There is truth to SilvrSurfr's words.
    "I ain't no physciscisk, but I knows what matters"
    Popeye

Had a fantastic time. Saw old friends, made new ones and had some interesting conversation, some that I'm glad I have short term memory loss. Food was outstanding. Thank you to all who cooked, brought that outstanding food in for us and to those who planned and made this outing happen. Hope to see you all again soon.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    HH Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Thank you all for a great time. Enjoyed getting out and making some new friends, and some interesting fireside chats. Can't wait til next time.
    Thank you especially to those that did the planning and setup.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I want to add my thanks to SilentOrpheus and everyone else who had a hand in this event. I was well fed and am grateful for the good time. This was my first Hike-n-Hang and though my stay was short, it took the edge off a very busy holiday weekend. I learned this weekend that I am "that guy" who sleeps late (it was raining) and then takes so long to pack that everyone else has taken care of all the group gear. Looking forward to seeing you all again - in a place without dolphins.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The gathering of the tribe.

The gear cache drop off point. Receiving orders from El Hefe "Camp is thataway! Now haul all that gear a mile down the trail and have coffee warm by the time I get there."

Beaver Pond with a giant beaver house off in the distance. Much of the weekend was grey cloudy skies, almost bleak, even so there was much to see and experience.

The view downstream from camp.

The view upstream from camp.

And the view of camp.

A light turn out at breakfast, must have been second breakfast.

The master at work, the padawan learner keeping a watchful eye.

What to do with excess bacon grease? Deep fry the brats of course! I call them the heart clutching brats, you can feel your chest tighten when you look at them.

Treated to a couple of donated apple pies from Johnson's Corner farm. http://johnsonsfarm.com They lasted all of a couple minutes.

Morning view from my hammock. Looking off to the Cuben Fiber Tarp City aka Little Havana and the overnight domicile of El Hefe SilentOrpheus.

How do you haul a 1/2 cord of wood, multiple dutch ovens, multiple coolers and food for 20 people over 3 days down a sugar sand trail a mile long? A little sweat equity and fat tires on the wagon.

Thanks for looking, another great hang in the Piney woods.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Forgot to mention, during one sherpa run, I had a large solo coyote run across the trail 20 ft from me. At a dead run it was so fast it looked like it was floating. So much bigger than any I had ever seen before, even knowing it was in winter coat, no way do I think this was a 40lb beast, easy 60lbs and looking more like a small wolf. Really quite the sight to behold.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Forgot to mention, during one sherpa run, I had a large solo coyote run across the trail 20 ft from me. At a dead run it was so fast it looked like it was floating. So much bigger than any I had ever seen before, even knowing it was in winter coat, no way do I think this was a 40lb beast, easy 60lbs and looking more like a small wolf. Really quite the sight to behold.
    Ive seen some big ones like that in NY but never Wharton. Must have been pretty cool to see. Maybe I'll be able to make the winter hang, looks like a good time was had by all.

Jon

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Thanks so much to all who were able to make it out. This is one of the outings I look forward to most each year, and each year gets better - plus we learn from each one, and are able to make the next one run smoother and more efficiently. We've come a long way from that first Thanksgiving at Lower Forge

As always, thanks to NJR, SilvrSurfr, and Ratdog for their logistical assistance - if it weren't for them, all the planning would have been pointless, and we'd have just been cold and hungry, eating dehydrated meals in the dark.

As many have said, it was great to see a few old friends that I haven't had the pleasure of hanging with in a few years, as well as some newer folk that were able to join the party. While it wasn't nearly as cold as it's been in past years (or as cold as we'd perhaps have liked it to be), the weather for the hike in was great, and even the rain came in a time period where it wasn't too much of an inconvenience.

Great food, great company, 8+ hours of sleep Saturday night (can't remember the last time I got that ...), and some good exercise to help make a busy and stressful fall season a little more enjoyable. What more can one ask for?

See you all at next year's Turkey Trek, if not sooner!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12