Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU

Request for informaiton (HEAT sheet undercover)

I've been Using a hammock for a couple of years as my summer slumber station but I am planning several trips to the winter wonderland of snow and ice that is the cascades in Oregon during mid January.

I am surprised by the lack of info on good setups for cold weather hammock setups. conservatively I will be in an area where it is 0F. I have a very limited budget and am looking at reliable setups that will keep me warm.

I have an expedition Asym with the upgraded hex tarp. I am considering buying two of the quilted heat sheet emergency blankets, sewing them together with elastic at both ends to bunch the ends and installing grommets that will slip over the stabilizer bungees on the hammock. I am cutting a walmart purchased foam pad (one of the ones with closed cell and open celled melded together) to fit between the two heat sheets.

If I toss a couple of 12 hour hand warmers between the hammock and undercover will this keep me warm?

Is the over cover critical or can I get away with a third sheet over the hammock and under the tarp?

Thanks,
    John

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    First, I'll start by saying that I am by no means an expert, but I have been working and testing pretty hard over the last year to get to the point where I can go 4 seasons in the HH.

I stay away from space blankets and the like since the condensation just is not worth the trouble, and I ditched the CCF pads very early on and went with first the HH Under Cover and now DIY underquilts.

If your winters are like ours in the North East then you deal with the unenviable combination of frigid and wet so the top cover would not be a plus to the rig.

Bottom line is to go out and do some backyard or near to home car trips and test your rig out before you pack into the back country. The challenge of cold weather hanging is addictive, so I salute you in you efforts and look forward to any reports on the outcome.

HYOH
    -Mike

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    First, I'll start by saying that I am by no means an expert, but I have been working and testing pretty hard over the last year to get to the point where I can go 4 seasons in the HH.

I stay away from space blankets and the like since the condensation just is not worth the trouble, and I ditched the CCF pads very early on and went with first the HH Under Cover and now DIY underquilts.

If your winters are like ours in the North East then you deal with the unenviable combination of frigid and wet so the top cover would not be a plus to the rig.

Bottom line is to go out and do some backyard or near to home car trips and test your rig out before you pack into the back country. The challenge of cold weather hanging is addictive, so I salute you in you efforts and look forward to any reports on the outcome.

HYOH
    -Mike

I was afraid that would be the answer. Since the first trip will be a "car camping" trip my plan is this.

HH hex tarp
    hammock
    8X10 Standard blue tarp tied accross the bottom to the guy outs on the hex

In the hammock a -35 degree massive 12 lb sleeping bag (replace the ccf for this)
    0 degree colombia zone II sleeping bag
    Light fleece over the top of that

I'll fill my little hanging bag with hand warmers and if I start to get cold toss a couple where the cold spots are. One of the guys going is taking a large coleman tent so if I have to go to ground I have the option.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Is the -35 bag, which you'll be using as a pad, synthetic? If it is down I think the compression will cause even this very cold bag to compress enough to lose most of its insulative value.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

HYOH
    -Mike

Why so?? Condensation on the top cover? What about the use of the top cover but allow more ventilation than just the air hole that comes built in? Just wondering... has anyone reading this tried it this way with good results?
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

0F ain't too hard

Down to 0F in Minnesota my usual insulation sandwich was (from the bottom up)
    1. HH undercover
    2. Exped multimat (also used for sit pad)
    3. Down jacket (worn in camp before retiring)
    4. HH SS OCF pad
    5. Heat sheet
    6. In hammock: 0F synth bag
    7. fleece pants and pullover
    8. LJ's

I alternated using the Overcover. It makes the HH about 10F warmer when you're getting out of the bag, which is nice, but lots more interior condensation.

FWIW,

--Kurt

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    1. HH undercover
    4. HH SS OCF pad
    5. Heat sheet
    8. LJ's
    I alternated using the Overcover. It makes the HH about 10F warmer when you're getting out of the bag, which is nice, but lots more interior condensation.

FWIW,

--Kurt

Thanks for the list, Kurt. Thanks for putting your set up in a way that even I (a newbie) can understand

I"m not sure what you mean by "when you're getting out of the bag". Do you mean that the ambient temp inside the shelter is 10F warmer than outside of the shelter?
    Last edited by mtncmpr; 11-22-2009 at 00:12.
    ...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    1. HH undercover
    4. HH SS OCF pad
    5. Heat sheet
    8. LJ's

FWIW,

--Kurt
    THANK YOU! This is the exact sort of thing I was looking for. At minimum I can really use it as a basis for my first trial. I headed to the great white north (North Idaho that is) for Christmas and will have the opportunity to set my Hammock up in the yeard on top of a few feet of snow to try out different setups. If any one else has any more info on these types of setups PLEASE post them.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
    I"m not sure what you mean by "when you're getting out of the bag". Do you mean that the ambient temp inside the shelter is 10F warmer than outside of the shelter?
    Yes, the HH Overcover will boost the interior of your HH about 10F at the expense of considerable interior condensation. It makes getting out of the sleeping bag *much* easier at cold temperatures.

The condensation will of course freeze and form ice crystals at temps below about 25F. Not a problem unless you bump your head on the top of the hammock (bug netting) as you get out or move around.

--Kurt

• + New Posts