Still Searching
    Tarp
    Still Searching
    Insulation
    Still Searching
    Suspension
    Still Searching

proper use of equipment

Ok so time for a Newbie groundling question: What is better, a hammock with an under quilt and a sleeping bag, Or an under quilt and a over quilt, Or a pad and sleeping bag? Please answer for both extreme seasons: summer and winter please.
    Brian D. Samosky

It's a kilt!! If it were a skirt, I'd be wearin somthin under it!!

For certain, you have to be lost to find a place as can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    – John 3:16.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Pirate View Post
    Ok so time for a Newbie groundling question: What is better, a hammock with an under quilt and a sleeping bag, Or an under quilt and a over quilt, Or a pad and sleeping bag? Please answer for both extreme seasons: summer and winter please.
    better for what? money? weight? comfort? ease of finding suitable gear?
    and every answer changes for summer vs winter
    You thought this stopped at finding a hammock? Nope!
    Thanks for playing!

short answer
    IMO, pad<UQ and sleeping bag<TQ
    -any UQ is more comfortable and less bulky than a pad but slightly more weight and $$
    -sleeping bag OK, just heavier that typical TQ
    -replacing your current sleeping bag for a TQ is going to cost $$
    -best is TQ + UQ for weight, bulk but worst for $$
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    Though I don't have an underquilt, I think most who do own one use an underquilt for everything above 70* or so, and change the top layer of insulation. If it's hot and you have an underquilt underneath, you may only need a small throw blanket or some extra clothes thrown on top of you to keep you warm.

When it gets very cold, the UQ + Pad will be warmer than either of them alone. That is my take on what I've been reading, and hopefully I will have some of the more experienced hammockers agree with me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    top quilt + underquilt = breathable, comfortable, good for me from 20F - 60F and above (plenty of ability to ventilate as needed)

sleeping bag + UQ/pad - jeez, how do I pack the $%^&#& bag? I used a quilt on the ground. Too much bulk with a bag.

Top quilt + pad - okay down to 32F or so... need another pad for lower. More comfortable than the ground, less comfy than the underquilt. Bulky unless the pad is the NeoAir.

Hammock
    Still Searching
    Tarp
    Still Searching
    Insulation
    Still Searching
    Suspension
    Still Searching
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    better for what? money? weight? comfort? ease of finding suitable gear?
    and every answer changes for summer vs winter
    You thought this stopped at finding a hammock? Nope!
    Thanks for playing!
    Actually I figured finding a hammock was the first step then deciding all the little things to make it fit you is the fun part. as to the question better:

Better for comfort, I don't mind carrying a little extra weight for come comfort. I currently own a -10 sleeping bag that has never failed me before, but I just wanted to know when I start hanging, more in the fall and winter, what is better a UQ or the pad both, etc...
    Brian D. Samosky

For certain, you have to be lost to find a place as can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You'll never pry my under quilt and top quilt away from me. I used a quilt when ground dwelling, and it only gets better in a hammock. I have a 3 season set and a dead of winter set.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Pirate View Post
    but I just wanted to know when I start hanging, more in the fall and winter, what is better a UQ or the pad both, etc...
    OK, specifics
    under insulation
    -I use a down 2/3 UQ (I have 2, one 3 season (32* and up), one winter Yeti (32*-0*) + a ccf pad for under my legs (various lengths and thicknesses depending on season)
    In hot summer, no pad necessary, fall/spring the pad can insulate my legs and an additional pad can be used to supplement the UQ if I'm pushing the limit. Below 0*, winter UQ plus full length pads (theory...not tested)
    top insulation
    - three weights of TQ (all DIY)
    1.ultralight, 50*and up (36x51) 2.5 oz climashield
    2. midweight 32*-50* (45x63) 3.7 oz climashield
    3. heavyweight 0*-32* (49x76x3.75 thick) down
    All can be supplemented with clothes and/or a down jacket, hood, and Buff.
    These options work best for me (so far)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Still Searching
    Tarp
    Still Searching
    Insulation
    Still Searching
    Suspension
    Still Searching
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    You'll never pry my under quilt and top quilt away from me. I used a quilt when ground dwelling, and it only gets better in a hammock. I have a 3 season set and a dead of winter set.
    So you just sleep a UQ and with clothes and a blanket (Over Quilt) then right?
    Brian D. Samosky

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex &quot;Grackle&quot;
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I'm glad you're converting - sorry I didn't really get to talk to you this weekend. Be sure to cover your noggin too. I have trouble staying comfortable below 50 no matter what my insulation unless I'm wearing a hat.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    Man i just got my underquilt and top quilt in yesterday. its like night and day from a therm a rest and a sleeping bag. although i must say, my old sleeping bag was a mummy and u borrowed quoddys underquilt on my last hike and somehow i woke up with the sleeping bag hood on and i was sleeping my side, coincidentally the side that the zipper is on so it felt like a really comfortable hooded quilt.

but definitely have to go with the underquilt and top quilt. good investment to make especially when you compare the size and weight of this stuff to a synthetic sleeping bag like my old cats meow. my new under and overquilt stuff to less than the size of my old sleeping bag and thats not to include how big my old therm a rest used to roll up to...

you have to make the switch man... its worth it

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast