Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images

and What Knot

Got my HH Hyperlight and set it up for a short second this weekend. I ran the treehugger through itself, and then hooked my line through the open end and tied it in what I can only describe as two 1/2 hitches about 3 inches apart with a slippery half hitch at the third knot.

Now two things: the spectra cord is very stiff and slippery and slipped twice, a problem I havent had in the past with other set ups, the other is that one of the tree straps already is starting to split(i am sure due to me not using it correctly).

So what do you do?

I was thinking of upgrading with 5-6' of7/64 amsteel and then attatching tri-rings from a blackbird set up. Then using just 36" of webbing to adjust the ends. Kind of like a webbing/biner set up but with more rope then webbing.

Or do you think i should jsut go with a different rope like amsteel and stick with the straps?

And has anyone found a way to set the huggers up by running one end through the other without causing damage?

Thank you everyone...

"dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Tree Huggers:
    1) You can use a carabiner in one loop and run the other end through the carabiner instead of the webbing loop.
    2) You can sew a thicker material around the loop to act as an abrasion pad; this pad can be replaced as often as needed. You can use 1.5 inch tubular webbing and slice it open then sew it around the webbing in the loop.
    3) Use the huggers like Hennessey shows and run the hammock cord through both loops.

Hammock Cord:
    1) I hate to say it but the Figure Eight lash is proly the best way to use the stock hennessey cord. I found that most friction hitches or slip and grip hitches will eventually creep; or you need to make so many turns to get it to hold that you might as well use the figure 8 lash anyway.
    2) I did have some luck with using prussics on the hammock cord. Run the cord through both loops of the three huggers and then tie or clip to a prussic for adjustment.
    3) I never tried it but you could proly get away with using a marlin spike hitch on the carabiner in the tree huggers.
    4) I have used my DIY webbing three huggers (much longer than the stock hennessey huggers) with just a toggle. I tied the toggle to the hugger with a marlinspike hitch and tied a bowline in the hennessey hammock cord. it worked pretty well. I actually figured this out when I left one set of Whoopie Slings at home a couple of weeks ago, it worked well.

There are many suspension systems out there right now. If you are considering upgrading your hennessey find the one that you like best and don't be afraid to get rid of the stock hennessey hammock cord.

Even after all these years I have kept the stock hennessey cords on my Eped, I'm not sure why...

Here's a tip also; the hennessey hammock doesn't need to be tied tight to the tree to be comfortable. In fact, I usually have a couple of inches worth of slack in my ridgeline when I hang now. To me, it is more comfortable.l
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Dutch clips cause less damage to the tree huggers than going through the loop, and are both lighter and simpler than any alternative. Add Whoopie Slings between the huggers and hammock... that's the way to go!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images

huh?

I've had a Hyperlight since February. I just followed their lashing directions; rope through both loops, three figure eights; works fine, never slips, never jams. Why exactly do you want to do it differently?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    Why exactly do you want to do it differently?
    Adjustability without untying the lashing.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Stock
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle/Strap
    "Adjustability without untying"
    is exactly why I converted my Explorer UL to a ring buckle system.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Adjustability without untying the lashing.

agreed, it's a bit time consuming, alot of work to untie and re-tie even if you just need to make a small adjustment. you also have to make each "8" really tight otherwise it will tighten once weighted and let several inches of line out in the process.

i had tree straps last pretty long by putting one loop through the other, they do wear down eventually, but it wore out slowly. i don't know about the hh line, but i had great luck tying a slipped sheetbend directly to the end of the strap. heavier folks will probably need a slipped double sheetbend. ties in just a second and unties even faster.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    ...i had great luck tying a slipped sheetbend directly to the end of the strap.
    Aha! I'm not the only one!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    I have left the stock cord on my HH but switched to using a spike hitch on the tree huggers. I then wrapped a decender ring on the stock cord down near the hammock and make use of that as a truckers hitch in conjunction w/the spike hitch. There is great range of adjustment by placement of the spike hitch and the decender ring also acts as a drip ring too. After a couple wraps from the ring to the spike a slippery half hitch (or two) tided to the ring holds just fine.

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    Would a guarda (sorry if I butcher the spelling) hitch/ring setup work with the stock line?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast