Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Okay - been thinking of this all week and had to give it a try. I found out a Surly Long Haul Trucker with Jandd Expedition racks are quite stable when taking off the front wheels. Since the Expedition Rack reaches below the drop outs and flares out somewhat, it is pretty stable when setting up. I probably did not have to add the guidelines to the handlebars, but figured in a high wind, I would want the extra anchor. I only had 8 stakes and realized if I would have had two more to pull out the middle of the sides, the tautness of the tarp would have improved. I will try to attach some pictures.

BikeTent_Front.jpg

BikeTent_Dropouts.jpg

BikeTent_Back.jpg

BikeTent_Side.jpg

BikeTent_InsideOut.jpg

BikeTent_Inside_Front.jpg

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    Okay - been thinking of this all week and had to give it a try. I found out a Surly Long Haul Trucker with Jandd Expedition racks are quite stable when taking off the front wheels. Since the Expedition Rack reaches below the drop outs and flares out somewhat, it is pretty stable when setting up. I probably did not have to add the guidelines to the handlebars, but figured in a high wind, I would want the extra anchor. I only had 8 stakes and realized if I would have had two more to pull out the middle of the sides, the tautness of the tarp would have improved. I will try to attach some pictures.

BikeTent_Front.jpg

BikeTent_Dropouts.jpg

BikeTent_Back.jpg

BikeTent_Side.jpg

BikeTent_InsideOut.jpg

BikeTent_Inside_Front.jpg
    That looks fantastic! Well done with the pitch. I have noticed that when I pitch on theach ground, I want more stakes. I bring a whopping 14 with me if I think I might see some decent wind. I have been grateful for them during thunderstorms in the alpine, but that would be overkill for just about anything else. Plus, your tarp most likely doesn't even have that many tidbits to use.

Looks like you got your ground pitch figured out though! Well done.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
    Hey, looks like there's some hammock habitat in the background of that photo .
    The trees were too far apart and on a talus slope, with 2' granite boulders. Believe me, if there was a safe option, we would have taken it.

Fullcount, that is a very creative use of your bike. Nice job. You can use about anything for the poles from cut sticks to hiking poles. Personally I would like to see more pitch for crawl space and water shedding.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234