BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hammock on the ground?

Okay, you are hiking in the desert or some other location that does not have trees. You find yourself in the unfortunate situation of having to go to the ground.

You have your tarp, you have your trekking poles and you have your hammock and air pad. Any pictures of a tarp / hammock ground set up available?

Also, if you are using the trekking poles for a spreader bar system and now find yourself having to use the trekking poles to hold up your tarp /tent system, how are you spreading out the hammock on the ground and maintaining the width of the bug screen? Maybe a tie off on the four corners to the tarp?

Curious to see if anyone has experimented with this before.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Maybe you should have a look at Clarks hammocks, they have a hammock that goes to ground ,..

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I set my XLC up in the backyard for fun this summer. I would not want to sleep this way in a storm, but for fair weather, it held up great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fullcount View Post
    Okay, you are hiking in the desert or some other location that does not have trees. You find yourself in the unfortunate situation of having to go to the ground.

You have your tarp, you have your trekking poles and you have your hammock and air pad. Any pictures of a tarp / hammock ground set up available?

Also, if you are using the trekking poles for a spreader bar system and now find yourself having to use the trekking poles to hold up your tarp /tent system, how are you spreading out the hammock on the ground and maintaining the width of the bug screen? Maybe a tie off on the four corners to the tarp?

Curious to see if anyone has experimented with this before.
    You'd have to rig up something to get your poles to work with the BMBH...maybe some mini-dogbone type things larksheaded onto the hammock spreader bar rings and then connected to your poles. Then maybe you could find some downed tree branches to use to prop up your tarp.

I would probably just use the poles for the tarp, put bug spray on, and sleep outside of the hammock. On second thought, if I was hiking where there wasn't many trees, I may consider leaving the hammock at home.
    Last edited by Banjoman; 12-08-2015 at 23:37.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I've had this happen more than once on the AT, both times when staying with a group in a yard. Just takes some extra line and stakes. I don't have pics on this computer, but will try to upload a couple later.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    11' Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    unless your using a bug net style hammock, all ya really need is your tarp and a pad.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    What has prompted this is that I am looking at doing some bicycle touring next year. Folks that tour often will set up at a local fire department or church property in order to gain access to low (no) cost camping / water source. You would be amazed at how many fire departments do not have trees next to their facility. So, I have my BMBH hammock with built in bug screen and I might have to set up on the ground. This is the good start to place under a tarp...on the ground. I have seen the Jacks picture on their website, but do not think it will work in a windy situation in an open field. Even on a bike, you are trying to minimize weight, so I am looking for the lightest set up I can find and still have the option to be in my hammock as much as possible. Just need to be prepared when going to ground.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Your bike for one pole that might work for a spreader bar, your other spreader bar to hold up the other end.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    Your bike for one pole that might work for a spreader bar, your other spreader bar to hold up the other end.
    Nah....not an option. Touring bikes are expensive - in the 1000's of dollars expensive. Have a tarp hooked to this and have the bike fall over - damaged bike and collapsed tarp. My bike will be laid on its side at night. Cant afford to have something broke.

Looks like I will need to bring my trekking poles to hold up the tarp and the regular spreader bars to open up the BMBH hammock on the ground.

Or, just forget the hammock and go with a Henry Shires tarp tent and consign myself to going back to the ground. The tarp tent is at least light. Oh the experience of once in a hammock, nothing else seems right. Spoiled I am.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Maybe you should have a look at Clarks hammocks, they have a hammock that goes to ground ,..
    Thanks Zilla. Just checked out their site and saw the Mark 2. Looks like I am about $350 lighter now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast