WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

pea pod in humid/moist conditions

how does the pea pod do in moist conditions, since it has down insulation? I live south of Atlanta, and have always used synthetic insulation due to its quick drying properties, but the specs on down make it pretty attractive, how would down do in our climate?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    I live in MS ( very humid) plus have taken my Pea Pod on a western trip where there was several days of rain/sleet/snow. I have not had any trouble at all with any apparent loss of loft so far. But you hear mixed reports on down products and humidity. There have been a few folks report about loss of loft. I think this was under foggy conditions or when they had condensation on the outer shell and packed up wet.

MacEntyre used his Pea Pod on a 9 day trip including the recent very wet trip to the Sipsey Wilderness in AL. I have not heard any comments on how that did, maybe he can post here soon.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Yes, I hung my peapod in plenty of rain for two weeks recently.

The very first night it blew hard SW, and rained hard with dripping fog. The next morning, the PeaPod was covered in condensation... but I could not find anywhere that the water got inside.

I had plenty of humid nights, and one night where the temps rose to about 63*F. The PeaPod was easy to vent. The last night, at MAHHA, temps were in the upper 40s, and I found I could make a chimney by using two openings... one above my chest and one at the end above my head.

The PeaPod works so well in humid conditions that I dried my damp tee shirt after a rainy hike by wearing it to sleep!

I found that the PeaPod could be fastened to the velcro on one side of my Speer hammock, and the other side of the PeaPod could hang loose. That works well for temps in the 50s, when you need an UQ, but not much of one.

Of course, you need a PeaPod for cold conditions, but often temps don't get as cold as predicted, or they do one night and not another... the PeaPod vents well!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the info! One more question............I am 6'5" tall, 205 lbs, fairly broad shouldered. Will I still fit in a peapod? What about lying diagionally, or in a side/fetal position?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Thanks for the info! One more question............I am 6'5" tall, 205 lbs, fairly broad shouldered. Will I still fit in a peapod?
    If you fit in your hammock, and a PeaPod fits around your hammock, then you are all set. You're only 5 inches taller than me, and a little lighter. I have plenty of room to shift almost two feet between the head and foot of my Speer 8.5A.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    What about lying diagionally, or in a side/fetal position?
    I'm able to move around far more in my Speer than I was in my HH. Diagonal, side or fetal, feet together... the PeaPod does limit the amount of diagonal lay just a bit, but you can lay on the diagonal.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts