Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by themadindian View Post
    Nice trip report, I've been nervous about bringing my little one out in the colder temps since I don't use an uq or tq but I'm thinking a sit pad would be nice and I could make it multifunction for her
    I have a summer UQ, but in colder temps, I just use my sleeping bag and leave it unzipped. WOrks out well. But I think your plan on using a sit pad would work nicely. I'm just taking it slow & see what temps she can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by NWNomad View Post
    I have seen so many videos of the Linville gorge hike, I really want to do it myself. Too bad it's across the country. Thanks for the trip update. More ammo for my daydreaming.
    Well you have some great areas around you that I'm equally jealous of

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Really enjoyed your trip report TP. You have a very cool puppy it was a joy to watch her. Oh, I pefered the stable video since I like full screen mode and the small edge distortions was not an issue for me.
    Thank you for sharing your tips and trip.
    She was fun to take out on this trail & I'm learning a lot about camping with a dog. You should see how excited she gets when I bring my loaded backpack downstairs And thanks for the feedback on the stability. It's not perfect, but like you I preferred the stable version in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
    Wonderful report and commentary.
    I did a lot of backpacking with my lab. Many of my most memorable trips were with him.
    You haven't lived until you've shared a sleeping bag with a wet, muddy lab !
    Welcome to the trail, Lacey !
    Sounds like wonderful trips with your lab. My last dog was a lab but bad legs kept her off the trail, so camping with a dog is new to me. I'm sure one of these days I'll be sharing a bag with a wet Lacey. I was contemplating this as I carried her across a couple stream crossing, thinking I'd better not let her get wet or I'll be wet.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    great report and video. love the dog...

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Looks like you've got a new "bud" for hiking. Lacy seems a really fine dog. I've gotten in a couple trips because of the companionship of my Walker hound, Ben. Nice to have company in the woods. Ben is a bit bigger and older than Lacy so my experiences might not help but here are a couple thoughts.

I've used a dog tent with Ben. See picture. It's lightweight, I got on sale on Amazon for $15 and it has served to give him space to hang out and I let him carry it. This might not work for Lacy though because she is a smaller dog. I like your dog run idea but in the evenings when I want him to be secure and he wants to go to bed the tent has worked well for me. And at night it serves to keep him from roaming too much. I've pitched it so he can nuzzle me in the hammock to let me know when he needs to go and he's close enough to know where I'm at.
    My first hiking trip which included Ben he slept with me in the hammock. It was a squeeze.

My set up using the tent. You'll notice I've let his leash which I was using this trip get wrapped around a tree.
    Harper Creek camp.jpg

Ben carrying tent
    Ben saying lets go.jpg

I also have learned a length of clothes line rope about 15 ft long works better for me than a leash. It doesn't seem to catch on branches and slides more easily. Ben senses it but it doesn't constrain his route up the trail. I have learned to enjoy him "breaking trail" ahead of me. When we hiked up The Priest in Nelson County a year ago in late fall, the trail was often so leaf-covered that I missed a couple of turns. Ben didn't. Must have been able to smell previous hiker's scent. But he kept me from trekking off on a side expedition a number of times.

Your trip looks great. Views from Camel Rock were great.

Hammock
    Dutchware halfwit
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie sling
    Good video. As one who likes beagles and has had up to 15 at one time keep in mind they are hounds and they will follow their nose where ever it leads them.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Great video, thanks for sharing it. I know they're a lot of work.

What a beautiful place to hike. Looks like your little girl is getting the hang of it. I love the innocent, orneriness of pups. Good looking dog!
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12