Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Storing Down in Damp Environments

I own a pretty small home. With my wife and I, a dog, and two cats, things are getting pretty cramped. My office is beginning to overflow with my camping gear, computers, books, electronics, etc. I've been toying with the idea of moving the majority of my camping gear into my basement, which is rather large. It's currently our laundry room and storage area. We have a sump pump, and don't have any noticeable trouble with moisture, but nevertheless I fear my down quilts (and anything else) could be ruined. Has anyone had any trouble with storing their down in basements? I may get a dehumidifier just in case to eliminate any moisture, and to also gauge how much is present.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images
    I don't store my down gear in my "shop" but had a bad moisture (humidity) problem. Things like the handles on my screwdrivers and knives, and shop towels would get mold on them. I put a dehumidifier in there and that solved the problem. I was amazed at the amount of moisture removed from the unconditioned room. Especially in the spring and summer. You might try a dehumidifier and leave some old t-shirts or stuff sacks there to see how they survive before placing your good down there.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS
    Your circumstances sound familiar and from experience I'd STRONGLY recommend a dehumidifier if you go the storage route down there,...even then, for long term, you'd do well to keep the items in some type of reasonably airtight container, or sealed up in a plastic bag.

I've also got HG quilts, and even though there isn't a serious moisture issue I wouldn't risk storing them in the basement if it weren't for our dehumidifier.

Hammock
    Hammeck, HK2001 custom
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    HG, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Kevlar
    You probably want to use a dehumidifier regardless of storing down in the basement if you have moisture issues. I'd echo the sealed storage bin idea if you put your quilts down there. I might need to go the same route as well in the future

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    Put your wife's clothes in the basement and your down in the wardrode, sorted...........ask me why i don't do this meself

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Is it possible to build a suitable storage room for your gear in the basement using build technics that seal out moisture and insulate then back that up with some heat to keep moisture at bay ie keep the space a 72*..... I could see a dehumidifier working overtime in a normal basement environment depending on how well heated the space is.....more heat will drive moisture out and or allow the dehumidifier to work better.
    Personally I would never seal my gear in plastic totes or bags unless vacuum sealed...I prefer to let things breathe
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunndog View Post
    Put your wife's clothes in the basement and your down in the wardrode, sorted...........ask me why i don't do this meself
    I couldn't pull that off, but it got me thinking. We have two closets in our bedroom - one small and one walk-in (decide for yourself which one was mine). Oddly enough the wifey forced me to move all of my clothes into a small part of her walk-in. I think she had plans of knocking out a wall and turning the smaller closet into additional area for the room (convinced her otherwise). That being said, I could move the accumulated junk from that closet downstairs and turn it into my gear storage.

Brilliant! Thanks guys!

• + New Posts