WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images

Who has the best suggestion?

Who has ideas
    Someone asked me to help him and his son complete the kids hammock setup with a tarp, easy right?
    But here's the trick, the kid is determined to buy it all himself so I am trying to keep cost as low as could be expected without lowering quality or adding weight.
    I know there are many options out there but the goal is a minimal UL tarp, any shape will do, diamond, rectangle, hex what ever.
    I'm just not the guy who knows where to find all the bargains.

diy is not out of the question but not prefered if it requires experience.

The hammocks he uses are an 11ft Dream Hammocks Darien diy and an eno single.
    Last edited by bmwrider; 12-10-2015 at 21:16.

Have him check out Simply Light Designs: I've got this asym tarp ( http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...products_id/81 ) that I use with my eno single for my beach setup up. Jared's also got lots of options for the Dad. If you want to keep the costs down, you can always go with the kelty noahs 9 and 12, but the trade of is weight.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    I found the Outdoor products $10 5X7 tarp that is supposed to be very light, I just don't know if its a good suggestion, is it light or even water proof?
    edit: I found a review and its too small to cover a hammock, even in diamond configuration.

Wilderness Logics tadpole. Hex shape can be pitched low for heavy rains. Weighs about 15oz and packs down to nothing at all. Only $95 and he can save for the door add on later if he wants

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    I found the Outdoor products $10 5X7 tarp that is supposed to be very light, I just don't know if its a good suggestion, is it light or even water proof?
    edit: I found a review and its too small to cover a hammock, even in diamond configuration.
    I have that one too. I agree, too tiny plus the corner grommets have a tendency to pull out in when the wind get's dusty. It will keep the rain off you. I use it as a groundcloth or a way to keep the weather off the firewood.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    Ripstopbytheroll.com has a couple of diy tarp kits that are about as economical as they come.

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by daneaustin3 View Post
    Ripstopbytheroll.com has a couple of diy tarp kits that are about as economical as they come.
    +1

You get to choose your fabric
    You get the satisfaction of building it yourself.
    It never stops feeling good to say I made that.

DIY skills never go out of style!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    That's a tough call....light and cheap. There are some Xmas bargains I've seen here but it would be helpful to know if the kid has a budget he's trying to work with. I've seen some members here in FL that have make some pretty amazing tarps from Tyvek. They're not the most durable but for a kid starting out the price can't be beat.

Bang for the buck the Warbonnet SuperFly is hard to beat. At any given time there's one here on the forums for sale and maybe another 2 or 3 folks looking for one. I got my last one as a "blem" from Warbonnet. I had to ask where exactly the flaw was and even then I'm not sure I found it. I think there were a couple of crooked stitches on one of the pullouts. It saved me like $15 so who cares!!

At least they've enlisted some help finding something. A lot of us rush out and buy a bunch of stuff only to figure out that's not exactly what we wanted. In some cases we just upgrade once we have more cash available. It only hurts to buy good stuff once.....if the kid can wait and save his pennies for a while try and talk him into a good setup but for now he can probably get by with a plastic sheet, harbor freight blue tarp, chunk of tyvek, etc.

Keep an eye on woot and Amazon for the Yukon walkabout. The kids in I use it. For $20 you can't beat it.

Hammock
    Dutchware HalfWit!!
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    HG Down, Baby!!
    Suspension
    whoopie and web
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    I use this as a ground cover cut in half. I don't know about as a tarp because you would only have a small amount of overhang over the hammock.
    I refuse to be old! Life is too short to sit on the couch!! Let's go hanging!!

• + New Posts