Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Hammock camping at Havasu falls?

I'm planning to hike down to Havasu falls in the spring and was wondering if anyone has hammock camped down their? I went down last year in a tent and didn't notice any hammocks but wasn't really looking either. There are plenty of trees down their and not much regulations so I think it should be fine. Just wanted to get some first hand knowledge.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've seen some photos of people using hammocks. I've been wanting to hike Havasu myself this next year--sounds like a blast!

And, I see you too live in Flag. Let me know if have any local trips planned and need a hiking partner.

Hammock
    WB BB
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-Wa
    Suspension
    W sling W/ Dutch h
    I have been down there several times without a hammock but not since the big flood. From what I understand, it should not be a problem.

I'm also in Flagstaff
    If I lose 12 more ounces in this pack and gear I can bring one more beer.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Wow I had no idea there was so many other hammockers in Flag. Are you guys going to the AZ hang? I'd love some company on some over night hikes but my days off are usually during the week so it's tough to get anyone to join me. I was thinking of camping at Parson springs in the next few weeks.

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=86

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post
    Wow I had no idea there was so many other hammockers in Flag. Are you guys going to the AZ hang? I'd love some company on some over night hikes but my days off are usually during the week so it's tough to get anyone to join me. I was thinking of camping at Parson springs in the next few weeks.

I'd like to go to the AZ-Hang, but I have to be back Saturday night, and I'm not sure if anyone is going in Friday night, which is when I'd have to hang out.

I'm new to Arizona and Flag, having recently moved from Virginia, so I'm still learning where all the great places are. I'm in need of a hiking partner, and I'm all for mid-week treks, especially the S24O type.

Parson Springs looks amazing; let me know your trip plans and if you're looking for a group hang.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Just wished I'd known about hanging when I did that hike--it is truly an amazing place; we had to make reservations with the Indians well in advace to have a camping spot..I guess you still have to have them...speaking of the Indians, they would hardly look or talk to us. That was my last backpack of that trip out west and used the post office in the village to ship my stuff home so I didn't have to carry them yet again out of the canyon....if I remember correctly it is the last city in the USA where the post is still delivered by mule train.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yeah it's a great place. I had the same interaction with most of the indians. Guess it's a cultural thing because that sort of behavior is pretty common here in Northern AZ.

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    It is possibly the nicest area I have every been to. I went two years ago on a school trip. It is wonderful! If you can try to do the day hikes that follow the stream down to the waterfall. You get to scale a cliff and go through some tunnels. Every view there is awesome and the water and colors there are great. Havasu is surprisingly warm at night and you get to see the stars. When I went I just slept on a tarp. There is a pretty cool rope swing too. Anyway for camping. #1 there is a delicious water source (if they still have it) which comes out of the canyon wall. Best water I've ever had. The landscape is mostly sandy but there are some tufts of grass and dirt. The trees as far as I remember as thin but I don't remember so well. You should be able to find a spot but the campgrounds there have few trees so you can hang on the side of one. I took the 10 mile hike down through the switch backs which was horrendous but was greatly rewarded by Havasu falls. It is truly a fantastic place. There are a few portable johns scattered around but they get heli-lifted off the camp ground and brought in every day! Hope I was some help! Have a great time!
    Peace -Peanutdude

Hammock
    WB BB
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    Te-Wa
    Suspension
    W sling W/ Dutch h
    Quote Originally Posted by domromer View Post

I hope to be there. If not, I spend plent of time out in the sticks and am sure that we can organize a trip some time.
    If I lose 12 more ounces in this pack and gear I can bring one more beer.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    i put it in the top 5 of places I've been to..and it was the first and last time I ever slept in a bivy....if you go there plan on at least 2 days not counting the hike in and out..it really is remarkable

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast