Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Same situation here. I plan on taking a 10 degree EE TQ and a converted-to-TQ Western Mountaineering Highlite 40 degree and stack them at the end of Jan for a trip. I too couldn't see paying that amount for 1-2 trips per year. I plan on doing something similar for bottom insulation too. Not real compact, but not an extra dollar spent either!

Hammock
    diy multicam+5 others
    Tarp
    warbonnet edge
    Insulation
    downny
    Suspension
    stuff and things
    I slept great usig 2 50 flight jackets at a brisk 35 out 1 is bigger so they fit together perfect

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I'll be honest, if you're going to do a good amount of cold weather camping, I'm more in favor of the 0*F / 40*F combo. 20*F is a good "all around" rating, but if you want 2 quilt's, a 0*F and a 40*will take you much further, since you can be comfortable in a 0*f setup all the way up to where you want to switch to your 40*F.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I stack because I am too cheap to buy dedicated cold weather quilts. However, I found that stacking TQs enabled me to better regulate my heat during the night/early morning chill.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I'll be honest, if you're going to do a good amount of cold weather camping, I'm more in favor of the 0*F / 40*F combo. 20*F is a good "all around" rating, but if you want 2 quilt's, a 0*F and a 40*will take you much further, since you can be comfortable in a 0*f setup all the way up to where you want to switch to your 40*F.
    Agreed, this is what I do. If I know lows are in the 40s, I take my zero. Typically bedtime is in the 50s, maybe low 60s and its no prob with overheating for me. If you sleep hot, though, might be different for you. But then if you sleep hot, the 40 probably gets you easily into the 30s. I'd sure rather have only one quilt to be messing with in the middle of the night if need be.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Involving math again
    I like the 80% rule- pick the thing that works best for 80% of your trips and improvise for the other 20%.

Don't disagree with your thought at all, I find that 25/45 a good fit for my temp range. I agree though, as you approach 30* and under it's hard to argue against going a bit heavier than needed. Hardly anyone ever complains about being too warm when it's cold out

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Agreed, this is what I do. If I know lows are in the 40s, I take my zero. Typically bedtime is in the 50s, maybe low 60s and its no prob with overheating for me. If you sleep hot, though, might be different for you. But then if you sleep hot, the 40 probably gets you easily into the 30s. I'd sure rather have only one quilt to be messing with in the middle of the night if need be.
    I think I would combust into a fiery ball of flames at those low temps! I want HIGHS in the 60s.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Involving math again
    I like the 80% rule- pick the thing that works best for 80% of your trips and improvise for the other 20%.

Don't disagree with your thought at all, I find that 25/45 a good fit for my temp range. I agree though, as you approach 30* and under it's hard to argue against going a bit heavier than needed. Hardly anyone ever complains about being too warm when it's cold out
    Yeah, it's all about what trips you do. I go out year round, so it works better for me. I do find that it's much harder to improvise at colder temps, than at warmer temps though (especially weight- and bulk-wise). And the consequences of failure are much more severe. So I generally recommend people buy for the coldest temp they plan to use it in - with the caveat that it's ok to just say "I wont go out if it X*F forecast".

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Agreed, this is what I do.
    Holy crap dakotaross agreed with me on something!

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    That makes sense. I do feel bad about blowing that kind of money on a 0° TQ for 2 or 3 trips each year. I try to justify it
    Never feel bad about getting the best kit you can afford dude.....buy once, cry once

I still need to buy that 40* quilt next summer......the winter after that i'll bet you anything you like i'll be eyeballing 0* TQ's if the toy fund is looking pretty solid

Hammock
    hennessy expedition
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f.
    Insulation
    hammock gear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    lol and after all of this, i broke down and i ordered a 0 degree burrow with 3 extra ounces of stuffing lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast