Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Grizz, have you experimented with anything like this, or meditated thereon?
    I noticed that one of my DIY bridge hammocks lengths was just perfect for an MacCat, that is bringing the sides down had the spreaders just touch the edge. I tried making an attachment but was frustrated by the need to open and close it to get to the hammock. Didn't take it any further.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've wondered about short flexible extensions to the spreader bars that would function like a tarp pole mod and connect to the edges of the tarp 10" or so beyond the end of each spreader tip. Haven't taken that​ any further either.

We use some 2 small pieces of closed cell foam with shock cords connecting the 2 pads. We just stretch the shock cord and put the pad over each end of the spreader bars.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Out of curiosity, are you using the side panel pull outs? It's not clear from your post.

The cloudburst side panel pull outs are designed to align with the location of the RR spreader bars. So using them should give you lots of clearance.
    I do use them, and they give SOME clearance, but I wouldn't call it "lots".

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    We use some 2 small pieces of closed cell foam with shock cords connecting the 2 pads. We just stretch the shock cord and put the pad over each end of the spreader bars.
    This is the approach I've been playing with. I've made 4 "bumpers" out of layered bundles of synthetic insulation wrapped in a fleece covering, lashed together with shock cord.
    I spent last night in the back yard with gusts to 25mph. Had the tarp pulled tight and low, no problems.

Thanks all for the replies!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by upfromtheashes View Post
    I do use them, and they give SOME clearance, but I wouldn't call it "lots".

This is the approach I've been playing with. I've made 4 "bumpers" out of layered bundles of synthetic insulation wrapped in a fleece covering, lashed together with shock cord.
    I spent last night in the back yard with gusts to 25mph. Had the tarp pulled tight and low, no problems.

Thanks all for the replies!
    Seems like you would only need two of the protectors on the opposite side you exit the hammock from instead of 4 bumpers.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    kbajg, technically somewhat correct. But, think on this - what if you changed your mind about from what side you wanted to exit? Sure, you could move the bumpers. But it's easier just to put something on all four corners. I use AHE "inner tube" gadget - really more like shrink tubing - but you could make something like that with a knife and real inner tube. I bet the closest bike shop has a lot of "spare" lying around.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    kbajg, technically somewhat correct. But, think on this - what if you changed your mind about from what side you wanted to exit? Sure, you could move the bumpers. But it's easier just to put something on all four corners. I use AHE "inner tube" gadget - really more like shrink tubing - but you could make something like that with a knife and real inner tube. I bet the closest bike shop has a lot of "spare" lying around.
    I also use the AHE heat shrink they work great but I can see where a little more foam protection for some added peace of mind would come in handy especially with the cost of some tarps. I highly recommend exiting the hammock the way warbonnet & Shug suggest as well.

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by biggy View Post
    AHE makes something specifically for that. Bicycle inner tube with a hole on on side for the spreader bar to fit through works well . It's what I used.
    I second this. I am currently borrowing Firebug's WBRR, and he has cut 4 one inch sections of road bicycle inner tube, and punched a hole in one side. Then, he slid them over the metal brackets at each of the 3 corners. When you install the pole, the tip goes into the hole on the inner tube, and into the bracket. The other side is covered by the rubber tube to prevent the tip from creating a hole in the tarp.

I actually was the previous owner of said WBRR, and found that idea in a thread found in the WB vendor section. Here's the link: Ridgeruner Anti Tarp Tear Modification

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    kbajg, technically somewhat correct. But, think on this - what if you changed your mind about from what side you wanted to exit? Sure, you could move the bumpers. But it's easier just to put something on all four corners.
    True, and what I'm finding is that it's not just when entering/exiting the hammock that the corners might raise up. Even just repositioning myself in the hammock has a profound effect on the position of those corners. Basically, anytime you aren't COMPLETELY centered in the hammock, (at least) one corner will be jutting out toward the tarp. I'm a multi-position sleeper and I'm still trying to find my groove in this WBRR. One thing I've found is that when I'm laying on a side, or on my stomach, sometimes I like the lay better if I'm shifted over a bit toward one side or other. Hence my desire for more peace of mind regarding those corners.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12