DIY 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly HEX
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, SBTQ
    Suspension
    Tree Straps/ WS
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtwigg View Post
    I really like this idea and will probably use it for my next set! Thanks for creating the video, good work!

I do have one question. When I've used the two skin style in the past, I could open from the middle and connect my middle tie-outs before opening the rest of the way which was helpful in the wind. I think of skins as being most useful when there's lots of wind flapping everything around. What experience do you guys have using this single skin style in wind? Thanks!!
    I haven't had the chance to get outside in windy conditions to test it out. My tarp's don't have middle tie outs so I had to pull the skins back all the way anyway to get to the tie outs. It was a pain to do in the wind. I am hoping that with this single skin, I can pull the skin back far enough to get to the first tie outs, stake them out, and then remove the skin the rest of the way. Like I said, I haven't tested this theory yet so it may all be in my head. I will keep you updated as I get the chance to test it. Maybe someone else who has been using the single skin longer can weigh in.

Thank you guys for all the encouragement. I have been wanting to make some DIY videos to help give back to the community that has helped me out so much. So I may be posting others as I get the chance to make more gear.
    Luke Smith
    "When I consider your heavens, the works of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?" -Psalm 8:3-4

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly HEX
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, SBTQ
    Suspension
    Tree Straps/ WS
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtwigg View Post
    I really like this idea and will probably use it for my next set! Thanks for creating the video, good work!

I do have one question. When I've used the two skin style in the past, I could open from the middle and connect my middle tie-outs before opening the rest of the way which was helpful in the wind. I think of skins as being most useful when there's lots of wind flapping everything around. What experience do you guys have using this single skin style in wind? Thanks!!
    I haven't had the chance to get outside in windy conditions to test it out. My tarp's don't have middle tie outs so I had to pull the skins back all the way anyway to get to the tie outs. It was a pain to do in the wind. I am hoping that with this single skin, I can pull the skin back far enough to get to the first tie outs, stake them out, and then remove the skin the rest of the way. Like I said, I haven't tested this theory yet so it may all be in my head. I will keep you updated as I get the chance to test it. Maybe someone else who has been using the single skin longer can weigh in.

Thank you guys for all the encouragement. I have been wanting to make some DIY videos to help give back to the community that has helped me out so much. So I may be posting others as I get the chance to make more gear.
    Luke Smith
    "When I consider your heavens, the works of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?" -Psalm 8:3-4

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Dbl Wide Hex
    Insulation
    Inc 0, Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Tree straps, cb
    Great job Coach! I have double skins and they are way too tight especially with the tie outs and pockets. Was thinking about ripping and adding fabric but this looks like a good option. Thank you for a clear and precise video.
    Slider1
    Survival gear...ten White Castle hamburgers and my hammock.

Thanks, Coach! That makes sense. As long as you don't just have a diamond fly with 2 tie outs your plan should work great. Thanks for the update and great job again!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Been using the single skin for about 3 1/2 years now. Had it on my diy tarp first and now it rides on my Superfly. I made mine out of a Mossy Oak camo netting. It works great, even in a wind. You can see it in this video.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...setup-amp-tips
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly HEX
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, SBTQ
    Suspension
    Tree Straps/ WS
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    Been using the single skin for about 3 1/2 years now. Had it on my diy tarp first and now it rides on my Superfly. I made mine out of a Mossy Oak camo netting. It works great, even in a wind. You can see it in this video.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...setup-amp-tips
    Ron, Thanks for the info. Great video.
    Luke Smith

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Very nice work! Skins have just been moved to the top of my DIY list.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Hi Luke, thanks again for the tutorial. I think that I found a small mistake in the math for the width of the fabric. Here are my calculations, let me know if I am off. Also, have you thought about folding the draw channels twice and THEN sewing, instead of folding, sewing, folding again, sewing again?

Fabric Width
    c = pi x d
    c = 3.14 x target diameter = 3.14 x 3 = 9.5
    Width = c + seam allowance = 9.5 + (2 x 0.25) = 9.5 + 0.50 = 10

Fabric Length
    L = ridgeline + (ridgeline x 2.5%) + (draw channel x 2) + (seam allowance x 2)
    L = 129 + (129 x 2.5%) + (0.5 x 2) + (0.25 x 2) = 129 + 3 + 1 + 0.5 = 133.5

Note:
    Some numbers may have been rounded or truncated.
    Note 2: I calculated that the extra three inches that you added to the ridgeline length were about 2.5% of the length of the ridgeline, hence the "(ridgeline x 2.5%)" thingy.
    Last edited by Gravity; 12-23-2015 at 07:34.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    For a standard 11-foot (132') ridgeline tarp with doors, with slightly larger diameter to accommodate doors and tie-outs:

Fabric Width
    circumference = pi x diameter
    c = 3.14 x target diameter = 3.14 x 3.5 = 11
    Width = c + seam allowance = 11 + (2 x 0.25) = 11 + 0.50 = 11.5

Fabric Length
    L = ridgeline + (ridgeline x 2.5%) + (draw channel x 2) + (seam allowance x 2)
    L = 132 + (132 x 2.5%) + (0.5 x 2) + (0.25 x 2) = 132 + 3 + 1 + 0.5 = 136.5

Note:
    Some numbers rounded or truncated.
    Last edited by Gravity; 12-23-2015 at 07:35.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Nice design and work. Just made a 12 ft winter tarp and it needs a skin. Like the one piece.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast