Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps

Thread organization question

I know I can advance search a word or topic, and get a lot of answers, but is there a way to more easily and efficiently look up certain topics? It's probably user error of being awesome at this, but it would be AWESOME if there were subfolders or things where I can go into say, DIY, and then "COSTCO THROW" and then everything costco throw build related comes up. I don't know if what I am asking or wondering is a rat's nest of problems for something simple, but it would be great if I could go to dutch, and further go to double whoopie hooks, and see all threads about it.

What I do now when I want to see other threads about costco throws is type it into an advance search using costco as a must in the title, and skim through. Is that the most efficient?
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    On that note, if there was a way to categorize things, is there a way that we, as members, can pitch in by tagging topics or creating folders, so they can be grouped better? I see someone create a costco UQ thread, and I go to my options and tag (almost like FB tagging, I figure) it into a categorization that fits. MODS would of course have overriding power and the power to lock it up where it is or whatnot. Hope I am throwing out solutions to problems instead of problems for nothing

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    This is no disrepect to Whiteblaze but go check all the categories over there. Sometimes more organizational options is actually more confusing.

What you find is a subject like "women's winter insulation on the AT" could be put in literally 5 different categories.

Second, having users tag threads themselves is already built inon HF, but it relies on members here to do it and most aren't interested.

My suggestion is to get real good at searches either here or on Google.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Google search of this forum is your friend!

This is how the link looks and I was searching for motorcycle related posts here to see how others set up their hammock gear on their motorcycle. So just replace the work motorcycle at the end with whatever you want to search for.

google.com: hammockforums.net motorcycle
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Google search of this forum is your friend!

This is how the link looks and I was searching for motorcycle related posts here to see how others set up their hammock gear on their motorcycle. So just replace the work motorcycle at the end with whatever you want to search for.

google.com: hammockforums.net motorcycle
    The google search as dkurfiss mentioned works good too. The only downfall the the google search is that it only return ten pages of results or 100 search results.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Good suggestions guys, thanks. I can see the downside to too much, as you mentioned, Tallpaul. I think what got my head going in this direction was 2 things in particular. One was DIY tutorial threads: There was a great list that was made into a sticky of DIY projects which has links to about 20 or so builds. However, that list is a bit old and I'm sure there have been improvements, but it's not possible to add and edit the original list. So I got to thinking, "boy wouldn't it be great if there was a subforum sticky or something where those kind of things can be added and edited with time and proof of improvement.
    The second was along the same lines of thinking: As I mentioned the costco throw, that seems to be the hot new DIY convert (as the PLUQ and JCP before, respectively).
    There were def quite a few threads on both, but it seems they were more concentrated. It seems that there are a TON of costco throw threads with no grouping. I think one contribution to this was one of the original strong costco threads started getting jacked with people requesting others to buy and sell them, which lead to the thread being locked... from there it was like tribes being scattered in the desert.
    I just thought, it would be nice if there was a dedicated section to skim through to see which threads will help or not for my needs and interests.

There are definately ways to browse smarter between google and advanced search... Would just be nice if I could say, "I want to make a tarp/UQ/integrated hammock. I should click in here to look at all the cool builds. It would also be awesome if we could rate threads, (like my guitar tab sites) to know which are more valuable than others... But now I'm asking for dessert when dinner wasn't even offered

• + New Posts