Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lindrome View Post
    I really like how your tarp turned out. I have the same fabric (winter 12 kit) from RSBTR and am planning out how to do my tarp. This will be my first DIY, and I have a couple of questions.

1. Did you cut the doors at an angle, or is that bottom hem straight from door pull to opposite door pull (all the way through corner pulls and center pull)?
    2. The ridgeline: did you complete the flat-felled part of the seam, then fold it over again to sew the grosgrain on, or is it just the french seam encased in grosgrain?
    3. Do you think you are going to need to seam seal that ridgeline?
    4. What angle did you use for the corner pull outs?
    5. Can you post the lengths of the 1" (25mm) and 1/4" (6mm) grosgrain you ordered?

Thanks
    Lindrome
    1. The doors are cut at an angle. I used the drawing you can find on RSBTR. The only difference is I did not make cat-cuts and it’s a bit shorter. The hem goes across the angle by the doors. The vertical hem on the doors are separate. The cuben fiber was sewn on after the edge grosgrain was sewn on but before the hem was rolled. I did not see the need to roll the CF several times.
    2. I did make a flat-felled seam and it was not my plan to cover it with grosgrain but because I used a thread with contrast color and there was a section not as perfect as I would like I used grosgrain to cover my mistake. I would not use grosgrain if it was perfect. It does add a bit of weight.
    3. No I will not seam seal the ridge line unless it leaks.
    4. I don’t know the angle. I aimed for a line from the opposite ridgeline end and down to the corner.
    5. I ordered more than I needed to be on the safe side because it’s always nice to have something on stock. I know I got 5 meters of 1” because I got it from a local shop. I ordered 15 meters of 6mm (1/4”). To be honest I don’t know how much I used.

Be very careful when you mark and cut the diagonal lines and tape the fabric to the floor if you can but do not stretch it!! The same applies when you sew do not stretch the fabric.
    If you haven’t sewn before I will recommend you train a bit on something else first. I will not recommend a tarp in this material as the first DIY project.
    Whatever you decide for your ridge line pin it all the way before sewing the first seam. I can guaranty if you don’t it will go wrong. You risk one side will be shorter than the other.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    Be very careful when you mark and cut the diagonal lines and tape the fabric to the floor if you can but do not stretch it!! The same applies when you sew do not stretch the fabric.
    If you haven’t sewn before I will recommend you train a bit on something else first. I will not recommend a tarp in this material as the first DIY project.
    Whatever you decide for your ridge line pin it all the way before sewing the first seam. I can guaranty if you don’t it will go wrong. You risk one side will be shorter than the other.
    Thanks for the advice. My wife is a very talented Seamstress and will be teaching me how to sew on one of her 10+ machines. Also I have the RSBTR DIY sample box and intend to make a few stuff sacks before venturing onto the tarp. Hopefully I can get started on the practice sewing and the tarp cutout this week. I got a full 4'x8' sheet of hardboard to use as a cutting board. I should be able to tape to that without stretching and have a good cutting surface.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    First real use last night. Doors does make a difference! I have added some Velcro strips to the doors. The next modification will be panel pullouts.
    IMG_20151230_152130.jpg
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Very nice. If I didn't already have two tarps, I'd be thinking about making one!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    First real use last night. Doors does make a difference! I have added some Velcro strips to the doors. The next modification will be panel pullouts.
    Looks great! I have a regular hex tarp, so I think I am going to get the Winter12 kit in MARPAT which will give me a 3-season tarp for my daughter and a winter tarp for me. I need to research door closure ideas. I'm kind of leaning towards KAM snaps reinforced with grosgrain.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Great looking tarp Snowball. If you put that much thought and effort into the tarp you should consider adding some voiceover to the video explaining how it is constructed and your reasons for what you did. Nice job!

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I decided to add panel pullouts to the tarp.
    I cut some Cuben fiber disks approx 3 ½ “ in diameter and glued them on the inside with Seal net.
    I used a can as a template so the diameter is more or less random.
    Before I glued I sanded the Cuben fiber but not the tarp. I am not sure if it will hold or not time will show.
    If the glue holds I won’t sew the perimeter otherwise I will.
    I used some books for flat surfaces and hopefully I got all the air bubbles out. Then a layer of baking paper (wax paper ?) and then another book on top and then weights on top of that. I won’t do any sewing before its dry in a few days.
    IMG_20160416_223940.jpg IMG_20160416_223908.jpg
    The loops will be made from Grosgrain but I don’t think I will add any D-rings or similar.

I have also changed the suspension so now I hang the hammock from the trap suspension. See other thread. So far I have only used it with this set-up one time but it looks like it works well.
    IMG_20160409_173537.jpg

Edit

10 hours later.
    IMG_20160417_092058.jpg
    So far so good.

Edit 2
    IMG_20160417_141014.jpg
    The loops are ready.
    Last edited by Snowball; 04-17-2016 at 07:16.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    That's a nice lookin tarp.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    IMG_20151230_152130.jpg
    Very nice, i really like that marpat color for a tarp.

While camo colors are usually not high on my list, that Marpat is sharp!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast