Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images

DIY Intruder Multicam Tarp Edging Questions

So one of my next DIY undertakings is a 1.1oz Multicam Intruder Silnylon tarp. This will be my "final" piece of matching multicam gear for my setup and with the premium cost of the fabric, I want to get it top notch.
    I've come across numerous ideas on edging tarps, especially a pair of ideas recently from Snowball and Wafflebox, that had me intrigued. Creating my own bias tape from the fabric and rolling a piece of 1/4" grosgrain inside the fabric. Both seem like great ideas.

What I'm most curious about, is hearing from someone who has worked specifically with this fabric or has a tarp made from it.

My original plan was creating a RSBTR 12' Winter tarp, following the plans there pretty closely. I'm finding myself more and more indecisive of how to proceed the closer I get to actually starting the project.
    At first, I had planned on cat cuts sides and roll hemming everything on the sides. Now I'm not sure.
    I've worked with other silnylons, silpoly, xenon sil and plenty of pu coated fabrics, but the intruder sil is a little different from any of these and unique in a few respects. Instead of a more traditional 15-20d silnylon, intruder sil is a slightly more robust 30D. I understand the fabric density differences, but does it make a noticeable difference?

Could I get away without cat cuts, as I could with xenon sil or silpoly, or would the base fabric get overly floppy when wet? Then comes the question of actually edging the tarp sides. Does a simple rolled hem with this fabric provide enough toughness to avoid stretching, or would grosgrain or bias tape make a very noticeable difference. In the past, with other silnylons, I've always grosgrained the edges to add durability stretch/floppiness prevention. I've also been completely happy with just rolling hems on silpoly and xenon sil. I'm more concerned with functionality than I am weight, so if grosgrain or additional edging (bias tape) would make that big of a difference, I would probably add something additional. However, if I can cut the weight of all that grosgrain and have success with just rolled hems, I'd probably go that route. I'd like to lean towards rolled hems alone, but if they're going to be an issue, I'd like to get it right from the start.

On the cottage industry side, UGQ turns out beautiful Winter Dreams in the intruder sil. As with most of their tarps, they all appear to be grosgrain edged and cat cut. I have a lot of respect for the vast amount experience of that many of our cottage vendors have, so anytime I make gear, I tend to look at their products as well. Not saying that a vendor's way is always right or their way is the best, but I'll always at least take their products into consideration and I've seen some wonderfully crated UGQ gear.

I know many of these questions can be chalked up to personal preference, like many other questions in our hammocking field, but I'm hopeful that some have personal experience with the Intruder sil they could share. I know, I'm likely just overthinking things, so feel free to tell me that

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

DIY Intruder Multicam Tarp Edging Questions

I've done two in the intruder sil. Didn't bother with catcuts and rolled the hems. Very nice to work with and tough. There is a slight bit of stretch but minimal compared to normal silnylon. I made an 11' hex and a 12 monster tarp. If you do catcuts you won't need deep ones.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    I've done two in the intruder sil. Didn't bother with catcuts and rolled the hems. Very nice to work with and tough. There is a slight bit of stretch but minimal compared to normal silnylon. I made an 11' hex and a 12 monster tarp. If you do catcuts you won't need deep ones.
    Thank you sir! I knew I was forgetting another vendor that had shown off their Multicam tarp, but I couldn't remember who it was. I was ever so close to snagging the one you had posted on the sale forums before changing your mind. Nice to know your thoughts on it and that you were partial enough to it to not let it go.

Hammock
    Warrior Multicam
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch Bukcles
    I made a Multicam Intruder with cat cuts and rolled hems. Haven't used in in the rain much, but very happy with how it turned out. I was worried that I would need the grosgrain on the edges, but after finishing it, I don't think it is necessary.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZULUMASTER View Post
    I made a Multicam Intruder with cat cuts and rolled hems. Haven't used in in the rain much, but very happy with how it turned out. I was worried that I would need the grosgrain on the edges, but after finishing it, I don't think it is necessary.
    Thank you for the info!

My first google searches were a little lacking but I'm uncovering additional threads as I further refine them. Still welcome any input on the matter though.

Hammock
    12' SLD TL
    Tarp
    12' SLD TH/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG 20/40 sets
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n Straps
    My experience with the Intruder has been very similar to Firesongs'. After 24 hours of solid moderate to heavy rain, my 12' hex needed to be adjusted about an inch - not as bad as "normal" silnylon from my understandings, but not perfect either. Durability does seem to be really nice so far.

I just did a double rolled hem around the perimeter of my tarp and it's held up just fine.

• + New Posts