Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH EXP, DIY Crap Wrap
    Tarp
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I figured out the same seam ripping technique last night...wow, what a time saver!

Great work! Just picked up two today and am about 2/3 done ripping the horizontals. Could you explain how you sewed the two sections together?. Is the seam straight through (like a horizontal baffle) or did you do it a different way to maintain loft?

Quote Originally Posted by mrrhoads View Post
    What is the cost on the quilts? If you calculate the cost of the two quilts and your time, what do you estimate you would have wrapped up in one compared to just buying a TQ? Looking forward to some real world test reports for how well it does in certain temps.
    In Canada the quilts are $29 (gotta hate that exchange rate). The whole project took me maybe 6 hours of not super concentrated effort. So $60 and a few mindless hours sure beats the 200+ dollars of a summer weight quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCC View Post
    yeah, 60" would be good enough for me but i thought if using like a blanket it would be nice to have the width but I'm new to this and dont know as I have never used one before.
    I can more rally wrap the thing all the way around me. I think the 70" width would just be excessive and make the quilt weigh more than it needs to

Quote Originally Posted by PsyD76 View Post
    Great work! Just picked up two today and am about 2/3 done ripping the horizontals. Could you explain how you sewed the two sections together?. Is the seam straight through (like a horizontal baffle) or did you do it a different way to maintain loft?
    If you read the post I linked to in the original post here you'll see that I didn't rip the seam on the bottom of one of the quilts.

I basically folded the bottom section that I left unripped back on itsself (the left picture here). Then Pushed the down our the way and sewed it so that there was about a 3/4" little tab of fabric left (the right picture). The. I sewed the blue section of the quilt onto the small tab of fabric left. My reasoning was that the overhanging quilt left there would cover the seam to prevent air coming through. I also pinned that quilt down on the edges with a couple stitches but left it free floating otherwise. I hope that explains it sufficiently. If you need I'll post pics of the actual quilt

No that helps! I was looking at your diagram and just couldn't visualize it. But this gives me a better picture. Off to ripping again. I will be using it next week for 4 days in weather down to the high 30's. I will give you a performance report

No that helps! I was looking at your diagram and just couldn't visualize it. But this gives me a better picture. Off to ripping again. I will be using it next week for 4 days in weather down to the high 30's. I will give you a performance report
    That would be much appreciated! I don't think I will make it out for any more over nighters up here In Canada. It's gettin a bit too chilly for my liking

Quote Originally Posted by Canahang View Post
    That would be much appreciated! I don't think I will make it out for any more over nighters up here In Canada. It's gettin a bit too chilly for my liking

I know this thread is 1.5 years old, but wondering how this costco TQ setup performed for you all. I like this build idea because it requires very minimal direct handling of the down. But curious as to how warm the final product is.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Not trying to come off rude, but there may be more costco posts on HF than hammocks! Just search for costco = endless reading.

OK, here a few to get ya started:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=costco
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=costco+quilt

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Not trying to come off rude, but there may be more costco posts on HF than hammocks! Just search for costco = endless reading.

OK, here a few to get ya started:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=costco

I don't see your point. I've read tons on HF about these costco conversions. I'm not looking for ideas - those are everywhere. Rather, I'm asking about how well this one in particular does.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
    I don't see your point. I've read tons on HF about these costco conversions. I'm not looking for ideas - those are everywhere. Rather, I'm asking about how well this one in particular does.
    Sorry, apparently I overlooked that.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
    I know this thread is 1.5 years old, but wondering how this costco TQ setup performed for you all. I like this build idea because it requires very minimal direct handling of the down. But curious as to how warm the final product is.
    it's virtually the same as taking all the down from a 2nd cdt, and migrating it to the first, but more fabric

imo, it would have worked better gemini style, seam rip 1 direction on cdt1, seam rip the other direction on cdt2 and then tack them together.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast