Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch

Hello from Maine!

Hello all! Short time lurker, first time poster. Name is Nick and I am from the Sebago Lake Region up here in Maine.

I've always enjoyed the outdoors, and have done a number of car camping trips over the years. However, after a few trips this year where we (wife and I) tried to 'get away from the crowd' and ended up next to a bunch of load and disrespectful 'kids' in a number of campgrounds we have decided that we need to actually get into the middle of nowhere for some peace and quiet.

I've spent the past year slowly getting together the gear required for some backpacking adventures and am getting close to having all the bare necessities. Having never done true backpacking/camping before it's taken a bit of time and a lot of research helped by this forum (and watching lots of Shug's videos!) to get going. The big ticket items I've gotten this year so far are my Roaming Gnome hammock(!), Kelty Down 20 sleeping bag, and the Incubator 0 thats in the mail now! I also got a MadCat tarp as well as a large Kelty 12 tarp too.

The reason for the sleeping bag (vs top quilt) and Kelty tarp is that we will still be doing some ground dwelling in the future and those both work well (in my testing so far) as good substitutes for the lighter weight hammock specific items. I am trying to convince the misses to come to the dark side and get off the ground but it's still a work in progress for now. She likes to cozy up in a tent, but if I can get her to try out a good hammock setup I do not think it will be much of an effort to convince her. I am 'taking one for the team' and testing things out first to figure it all out before committing on that though.

I'll be spending a bit of time in the yard for test runs this winter and hopefully I'll be able to actually get out there and do some exploring soon. Luckily my 'yard' is really just a lot of woods and offers a lot of good testing sites! I spent my first full night out in the hammock this past weekend with my sleeping pad and sleeping bag and slept pretty well, but can't wait till the Incubator shows up! Only really woke up when a noisy fox started barking at me because I was in his space. After that I felt a little bit of chill but was certainly tolerable. Was down in the 30s at least (warm for this time of year up here).

Anyways...that was bit of a rambling intro! Really just wanted to say hi and that hope to learn a lot more from the forums and to share my adventures as well!

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Std Camo
    Insulation
    HG, Quilts, 0 +2oz
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    Welcome Neighbor, see you around.
    Hanging in Tree's since 2012
    Tent Backpacking since 1974

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    And a great big country "HowwwwDEEE!" to you both from over on the border.
    I know of a nice quiet patch of tall pines that you can drive right up a logging trace to out here... mebbe we should hook up come Spring and "hang out"... ??
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch
    Hi ya neighbors!

Flash, would definitely be up for some hangs come spring time.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Keep your eye on the NE/Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning forum >>>https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/.../112-Northeast
    There will be a group-hang down past Manchester, NH around April. Those are a great way to get sucked in. Your wife can come with her tent... nobody cares.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch
    Thanks Flash! I've polked around there a bit and will be watching for events next year fur sure.

And for an event like that, she would be more then willing to hammock it up. I would just have to buy an extra hammock for her...darn!

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Nstuart- No, you wouldn't.
    The hammocking crowd will be happy to hook her up in the air. She [and you] could literally try out different rigs and gear each night. Almost no-one has only one hammock, and they love to share the joys. Worst case is she tries out my Dutch Hexon, and you've got the tarps.
    Additionally, there might be a raffle at the Spring hang... she could win one!

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch
    Shhh...you are ruining my justification for buying another hammock...

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Understood... but you seriously might want to hold off and try out/see a bunch at a hang. Might make for a better long-run choice.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome, from Nashville, Tennessee!!! Been hiking the AT up your way as recently as September. Have gotten to Rangeley so far. Will be back next Aug/Sep.

My wife asked for her own hammock some years back. She loves the comfort!
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast