Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this ripstop??

Okay, I went to Wal-mart today for groceries and swung by the fabric section to see what I could find. I found this.
    It's definitely synthetic and I think it might be ripstop nylon but I'm totally new to the fabric game so I thought I'd ask you all what you think. I'm hoping to make a TQ out of it.
    *crosses fingers*
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep! That be ripstop.
    Synthetic or down topquilt? It matters because if you want down, you need to make sure the fabric is properly coated or you'll be leaking down all the way down the trail.
    Trust nobody!

Score! Cause it was a 1.50 a yard! Woohoo!
    I'm gonna do a synthetic topquilt prolly using poly-fil high loft quilt batting!

Should I just spray it down with silicone spray or leave it untreated so that if it gets wet I can just wring it out? You don't have to answer, I'm sure I just need to do my research!! Thanks for the quick reply!
    Last edited by jaygnar; 11-13-2009 at 16:33. Reason: added 2nd part

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Now that you know what it looks like, it's time to start learning to determine if it is nylon or polyester. Not that it really matters, although I find polyester a little softer to the skin, but it's fun to know the difference. The burn method is my preference, but you've got to have two 'known' chunks of fabric to learn which smells like what.

Slippery path you're on. DIY will consume all your free time; trust me.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 11-13-2009 at 16:27. Reason: Can't flippin spell!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaygnar View Post
    Okay, I went to Wal-mart today for groceries and swung by the fabric section to see what I could find. I found this.
    It's definitely synthetic and I think it might be ripstop nylon but I'm totally new to the fabric game so I thought I'd ask you all what you think. I'm hoping to make a TQ out of it.
    *crosses fingers*
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Yep! That be ripstop.
    Right on. And a good find! It looks like the commonly found 1.1oz (weight per square yard - not per linear yard) DWR (durable water repellant) coated stuff that Wal-Mart often has.

That will work just fine for synthetic insulation. Granted, now you know what ripstop looks like 'cause you have some - but for future reference: to know if it's ripstop, just look for that tell-tale grid pattern you see in the stuff you have. Those thicker threads every 1/4" or so are there to stop the fabric from continuing to rip (... rip...stop...).

Also, you may be interested to know, as these numbers are thrown around a lot here - 1.1oz ripstop is usually also the same as 30d. 1.9oz ripstop is usually 70d. The d stands for denier and has to do with the thickness or weight of the thread used to make the fabric (not the thread count in the fabric). (Correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong).

And there's a whole plethora of other terms you're going to be very familiar with as you continue down the DIY road.

Keep asking questions - this forum is full of great folks who won't bite your head of just for not knowing everything instantly.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    High-loft quilt batting compresses poorly, which would be ok for car camping, but not hiking... Last time I was at the local Joanne's, high-loft batting was 10oz/sq yard. I think it was $7/yd, I don't recall the width.

If you really want a nice, warm quilt, you can get Climashield Combat from Thru-hiker.com. At 3.7oz/yard it's much lighter, compresses better, and is warmer. (.9" thick, similar to the batting). It's sold 60" wide, at $11/yard...

Other than the increase due to shipping costs, you'd have a much better result...

Oh, and keep looking at WW for the gray ripstop (the squares are less noticeable), it's much softer, and less open than the green you have... I think it would be warmer... I use it for a water resistant cover over my speer hammock (with a can of camp-dry or other similar silicone waterproofing spray.) At $1.50, I bought the entire bolt and wish they had more.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Check it for waterproofness, I found some fabric like that earlier this year and it turned out to be waterproof!!!!! Hold it under the faucet with your hand under the fabric. It might be?? Gotta love the wally mystery bins.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Yep check it for WP. I was at walmart not too long ago and got some DWR and some non treated.

The DWR was 1.1 oz and nice stuff.

Both were gray.

Its hard to tell but it sort of looks like dwr.

Dont waste your time with joanns batting, as its too heavy. Order some climasheild XP from thruhiker. Its $10 a yards for 2.5oz/0.6" loft.

They also have 3.7 oz and 5 oz.

Very roughly the 2.5 oz XP is good for 45dF, 3.7 good for 35dF, 5 good for 25dF. Of course that could swing either way depending.

2.5 is mostly used for sumemr quilts.

It's NOT waterproof at all! I splashed it and the water went right through.

I will look into getting some other stuffins for my quilt besides the poly-fil high loft quilt batting.
    Just curious, should I try to enhance the water resistance of the material before I sew it or just put the thing together and then hose it down with silicone spray? It seems like most of the info i can find on quilts is about down applications.
    How important is water resistance in TQs and UQs that use synthetics? I mean if it gets wet, can't I just wring it out and let it dry?
    I understand that with down, if it gets wet, it will lose all its loft and therefore be basically useless. But since the synthetic fibers don't absorb water, it seems like they would function if damp,though likely in a reduced capacity.
    Am I right? I'm sorry for being such a newbie but I guess everybody has to learn sometime or not learn at all.
    Anyway, lemmie know your thoughts and opinions.

You probably got the other type I got, which is 1.6 oz non treated ripstop. You really cant tell though since these walmart fabrics are mill ends, so whatever they get is it.
    Every time I find some its something different.

As far as what to use for a quilt fabric, it depends.

Sythetics will absorb moisture, just not as much as down, it will not completely collapse
    and it will dry out faster.

All that said, I still personally want DWR on my quilt outer shell. I have a new to me montbell down bag and this spring I slept outside under the stars on a 40dF night with extremely heavy dew.

I have never had anything DWR before as all my older equipment is from the 70s and 80s.

I woke up at sun up and got that dreaded feeling I used to get. The outside of the bag felt really soggy, but lost no loft. Back in the day of no DWR this would have meant a good bit of drying time.

Lo and behold the sun hit it for about 5 minutes and it was bone dry.

Thumbs up for DWR I say.

Keep looking. They will have some DWR come in soon I am sure. Use the non treated stuff for the inside.

As far as treating your fabric they sell some wash in stuff. I have never tried it.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/misce...0SEAM%20SEALER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast